Crossbows, Past, Present And What We Can Build

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by TMT Tactical, Mar 30, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a thread about Crossbows. It can be either, homemade using modern material, natural material or any combination of these. It can be factory built, or a copy of ancient design or a personal design. You can also just share information, history or personal experiences with a crossbow. What I am trying to say in my clumsy attempt, if it relates to crossbows, twang away.

GrizzlyetteAdams and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well done TMT.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    3e51b67c0c99dbbcf7885dc1a82de93d.gif 3e51b67c0c99dbbcf7885dc1a82de93d.jpeg
    Here are a couple of stone bows, plenty of free ammo in the bush!
    Keith.

4. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Okay I will bite. You called them Stone Bows. Does than mean they launch rock (stones) vs. bolts. arrow? Really good pictures. I just spotted the pouch design on the bow string, outstanding. I had never heard of these types of crossbows. Thanks for the info and the pictures.

5. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    With modern materials, I think we could build one that is stronger, faster, and smaller. I imagine a hand held model that can sling rocks so fast, they'll be off in a shot. That's it! I'll call it a, sling-shot. You heard it here first people. ;)

Jokes aside, I've never seen these things before. Makes me wonder how effective they can be. I guess they'll definitely get you some dinner.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yep, those things throw rocks!! The thing is that a slingshot is just a small bow. Have you seen some of the things that Bishop has posted that he does with a slingshot? Like what a crossbow does with archery that crossbow does for rock throwing. It can make anyone like a major league pitcher.

They were made for the same reason that the regular crossbow was made. For a man to be an effective archer or slinger it took years of practice and experience before you were truly able to use it to its full effect. With the advent of the crossbow, the time it took to train was greatly reduced and militarily that made them more effective at long range.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    Also, on the subject of crossbows. I DO believe that they are the one, old technology that has improved over time and not made cheaper. Lightweight bows made from composite materials can get hundreds of thousands of pulls before they break. Same with the strings. Probably the only thing we do better now then we did 100 years ago, is crossbows.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am still working on a simple but hopefully effective homemade crossbow design. I want it to be inexpensive, able to be build from scavenged (store bought in this case) and very simple to build. If anybody has or wants to post pictures of their crossbows or any crossbows, jump right in. I love show and tell.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the trouble with crossbows is the time it takes to recock the string, the stronger the crossbow the more you have to use a cocking rope, by the time you've recocked it and the effort it takes the prey is long gone, so definitely a one shot weapon.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Excellent point. I am going to have to be careful and not overload the bow arm. That is what I did to the PVC Long Bow, too many fiberglass rods. I could barely draw back the string, much less hold the shot. What would be a good pull for a crossbow and be able to cock it by hand (finger tips only)? No matter what, I think is will be a one shot weapon. Even pulled by hand, the bow will have to be pointed down or touching the ground and then a bolt loaded and the target reacquired.

They do make a magazine crossbow but I think the price tag is around $600.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the average crossbow prod over here is about 175lbs, some a bit less, its fairly easy to replace the prod arm its restringing that's awkward.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    here's one my father built in the 1950s. The plans came from a popular mechanix magazine. It works good but the bow is too stiff.

f5978602400daa97eaeae20a993a6a39.jpeg

b48db94b9a4ee755462d2d645d7880a2.jpeg

13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Nice design. I m very interested in two things, 1) What is the bow made out of? 2) How does the trigger work (design)? The stock looks outstanding, a very nice job of cutting and carving.

randyt likes this.
  14. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    the bow is made from a car spring, too stiff. I've been thinking of replacing it with spring from a snow machine.
    Basically the trigger mechanism is a roller with a groove and a notch cut into it. The top photo shows the notch, the bottom the groove. The string is held by the notch and the arrow rests in the groove. There is another notch on the bottom of the roller that the trigger engages, when the trigger is pulled, it comes out of the notch. The roller rolls forward due to the pressure from the string and bow, the arrow is propelled.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Most of the time one good shot is all you will get at a game animal anyway.

With a short range "primitive" weapon like a bow you learn to make that one shot count.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah, would need to get a bit closer than one would with a rifle.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I've found it's more likely you'll get a second chance at a deer at 50 yards far more often than you will at 20 yards, but it's much harder to get a good hit at that distance if you don't practice a lot.

Oddly though, I've missed more shots closer in than I have a longer distances due to them hearing the bow and "jumping the string".

I actually killed one deer with a second shot after missing it in close.

It made the fatal mistake of running out into a bean field and stopping broadside at about 45 yards.

TMT Tactical likes this.