Cyclone Tracey 1974.

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by Keith H., May 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Xmas 1974 we lost everything in Cyclone Tracey. The downstairs fridge was full of grog & amazingly survived! We had no water to drink so we drank wine. The freezer too was still there but of course no electricity, so we ate what we could that first day & gave the rest away to the emergency food supply depot. In return we were issued with cans of SPAM !!! That was all that was available. My 4WD was trapped under a fallen wall of the house with a flat front tyre. I decided to gun it up & I ripped it out of there. With the front wheel changed I headed bush to hunt some real meat. Thankfully I found my 12 gauge shotgun & ammo belt plus my BRNO .22 & some ammo underneath a fallen wardrobe which had for some unknown reason not been sucked up & blown away.
    We could have made better provisions, but (A) it was not my house I was staying in, & (B) there had been so many cyclone alarms that never came to anything that everyone had become very complacent. I learned some hard lessons from Cyclone Tracey & came close to losing my life into the bargain.
    Keith.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing your story and glad you make it after going through a disaster like that. Is possible to distill Alcohol from water, but to achieve it, is required an exhaustive procedure of boiling, condensation, freezing and chemical treatment, so It seems that was not an option under such circumstances. It could have been better, but with emergency non perishable provisions available and firearms, your situacion fortunately was not that awful. Which hard lessons did you learn?

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well going through the cyclone was actually bad enough, had I not made the decision to move when we were in the eye of the cyclone, I & my family would not be here now. As it was the new place of shelter had its dangers, & I came close to losing my life by getting sucked into the cyclone.
    Lessons learned: To be better prepared. Not to be so complacent. Not to shelter in a house that is not cyclone proof in a town. Not to be in town at all during a cyclone. Always make sure you have guns on hand for self-defence & hunting. Part of being prepared is being better equipped with the right tools & other equipment. You can not rely on the authorities for any assistance. Trust no one, ever. Medical supplies are ultra important. Primitive skills are very important. Learning to think out of the box.
    Keith.

4. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I can't imagine having SPAM to look forward to as a meal after surviving a disaster. I'm sure the people with you were so thankful you could hunt. It's people like you who save us less knowledgeable. I'm glad to hear you survived and thanks for sharing your story.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    To this day SMAM recipes are still a family joke, like plain spam, or spam on spam, or even spam on spam with spam on the side!!! o_O
    Keith.

6. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Haha! How about some fried SPAM? My aunt has always been a fan of fried SPAM. I still remember her frying it up for lunch everyday when she was less fortunate.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely! Frying improves SPAM no end :)
    Keith.