Dead Animals And Corona Virus Disinfecting

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pragmatist, Feb 23, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/hundr...china-blamed-on-massive-disinfecting-efforts/

Good afternoon all,

Per ...

I'm placing this article here because the theme is also applicable to the US.

In nice terms, it's a headache to bury a large animal.

Whereas the disinfectant sprays help protect the population, animals are do not always benefit from the sprays.

Factor in animals, pets, service animals, livestock, wildlife.

We have public sector agencies addressing the animals but they're understaffed and for us: YOYO.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    It's easier to compost them if you have the materials.

If one isn't concerned with spreading diseases, carcasses can be left in the open for buzzards to clean up.

Around here the bears will often take care of them rapidly

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Snyper,

"Give me a fulcrum and I will move the world." Archimedes

Plus, the dead creature might not be on my land.

There is a reason Preppers are concerned with diseases spreading. The Prepper seeks to avoid getting infected.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I actually have a fenced area where I feed the buzzards. I fish a lot and my daughter's dogs like to roll in the fish guts. We had a small area that we have run chickens in and planted in but are not using it right now so we throw the fish guts in there. It is a long way down the hill. The vultures love it and visit every Saturday. I'm sure that they would deal with whatever I left there for them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Even the worms got to eat.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that I am going to till it under soon and put corn beans and squash in that area. It should be rick as hell. I know that after using it as a chicken yard for a year the next year it was a great garden spot.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    If burying them is troublesome why not just burn them down to crips?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It takes a hell of a fire and a lot of wood to burn a horse down to ash!! The hole you would have to dig would be huge. Better to drag them off and let the wild critters have them. It is shocking how fast and efficiently nature will "recycle" a body if you live out in a rural area.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That doesn't mean you can't do something about them if you think they are a hazard.

There's been no evidence I've seen of animals transmitting the coronavirus to humans.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

Fires can also be a hazard.

Here we have the forest fire worries, the legal aspects of big fires in this area(major strategic corridor), and in my area, there are idiots storing flammables like gasoline. You know the quality of their storage procedures.

Plus, a somewhat big fire is also a flare - telling all where you are.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanm,

In various SHTF scenarios, disease prevention is paramount. The mosquitoes and flies will dine on Preppers/survivalists faster than the buzzards will picnic on the dead horse.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning/afternoon - I'm loosing track....... Snyper,

"Something": yes, perhaps.

If not on my land, I know the maximum effective range of

...and I learned all this from MSF.COM.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I typically also prefer to let mother nature do all the deeds, unfortunately IF the carcass within your dwelling vicinity and big enough (let say 2000 lbs - 8000 lbs) dragging them far enough will be a real problem

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You quarter the body just like you would with a moose or elk that was too big to carry out of the woods. We have always had access to a tractor with a backhoe and a front end loader though. Dig a hole drop it in, throw on a bunch of wood and light it up. When the fire goes out backfill the hole. When you have livestock you don't want to attract wolves if you can help it. If you burn then you don't have to dig as deep and the critters don't dig it up. If we had a section that we weren't running cattle in that would be a dumping area. We could drop something on the back 25 acres where we normally had peas and it would just vanish in short order.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Snyper,

I haven't seen any evidence either.

I did read that the coronavirus is zoonotic - ie can transfer from animals to humans. I've read about the bat being a vector.

Dangerous diseases include those not involving the coronavirus.

My preparedness measures uses common-denominators in addressing threats and perils. You wrote something similar this AM such as all prep is basically the same except for the refinements.

TMT Tactical likes this.