Definitely Off-grid: Survival Capsule

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by Pragmatist, Jul 8, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/this-tsunami-survival-capsule-gave-me-a-crash-course-in-survival/#

Good afternoon all,

Per ...

Article tells of a newly-designed capsule to survive a tsunami. It was tested in Puget Sound.

Am not clear on the retrieval aspects. You get in the thing and survive the tidal wave. How does the survivor(s) get back to land ?

During and after major weather events, the Responder community - eg USCG, Virginia Marine Police - is stretched real thin.

Art mentions the 2004 Sumatra tsunami. US sent some help there.

Art tells of a doc series titled "Hacking the Apocalypse". Perhaps of interest to some Members.

If that orange sphere is used around here, it's a target for "collectors". Still, after the prototype, improvements and enhancements can occur.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    That capsule will be useful IF they made it gas tight (thus flight rated), add inflatable re entry heat shield, RCS thruster, parachutes, integrated inflatable raft, and of course all the life support system necessary for human orbital flight, and docking it to ISS to be use as an escape pod

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    "How to scramble eggs in shell"

Break the yolk but not the shell.

One can readily imagine that if one were caught within the chaos of a curling tsunami -- as they approach land, waves curl -- one would be subject to some not-so-minor centrifugal forces. Inertia / acceleration can simply work against the human body. G-forces are not always our friends.

Tsunami protection? Don't live near coastlines.

In the next 50-100 years -- or tomorrow -- I believe that hundreds of millions of coastal people will be annihilated by the Pacific Rim of Fire due to earthquakes and the resulting tsunamis. Atlantic coastlines could suffer the same, however this happening around the Atlantic is much more rare than around the Pacific coastline. Too, Atlantic-bordering countries are protected by lengthy continental shelves, thus shallow waters. America's Pacific coast sees mountains dropping straight down into 1,000 ft deep oceans -- killer tsunamis LOVE such conditions. Kalifornia comrades thumb their noses at God, so all I can say is, "Bye-bye!"

Can you imagine attempting to evacuate L.A., Malibu, and the Bay Area in just a few hours -- if given that long of a period of time!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately, this is not a natural disaster I concern myself with. If I get hit with a tsunami the rest of the world is JPF. Just looking at the design I have about a million questions, and first and foremost is the price tag.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    tsunami's are not something we normally get here, Devon's high cliffs see to that.
    that capsule looks too cramped to be anything but for temporary use.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have never known anything designed to suffer severe impacts to specify using aluminium. I have got to wonder on the impact rating of this thing.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    NO WAY. I will take my chance of swimming before I would crawl in that thing. They used to put survival capsules on offshore drilling rigs. They tried them out in heavy but not storm seas and it is a pukathon and an hour in one leaves the people inside covered in puke and mostly unconscious. There were 6 and one and all said that they would NEVER crawl in one again. They finally replaced those things with the hard covered lifeboats.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Saw these on TV a couple years back. Heard that the coast guard was supposed to test them for some approval rating. The ones I saw (2 different sizes) also had an emergency GPS beacon in it (extra). They were talking about how most people in a tsunami that used one would quite likely wash up further inland than where they started. Something about being stuck with the debris. Made sense from what I've seen with tsunamis.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts: