dehydrating food

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by BeautifullyBree, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BeautifullyBree

BeautifullyBree Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought a dehydrator. I don't know much about it, but I was wondering how long dehydrated food might last? Could this aid in survival? Would I be able to dehyrdrate fruit and store them for some time?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    One summer I attempted to dehydrate herbs in my oven. When I took them out, they appeared to be dried so I placed them in a glass container. However, I noticed a month or two later that a white fungus (?) had begun to grow on the herbs. Apparently, I didn't take all of the moisture out. I don't recommend the oven method to anyone for drying out herbs.

acheno84 and BeautifullyBree like this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes dried foods can last for years. I still have dried foods from several years ago.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Dried slices of pumpkin. Makes great trail food & of course will last a long time stored in your pantry.

BeautifullyBree likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dried foods are dried over or in a low heat, they are NOT cooked. I have been drying vegies, fruit & meats in my oven with the door open for many years, & I still have foods that were dried years ago. Another thing that can ruin dried foods, is storing them in air tight containers when they are still warm. Many of the dry trail foods I have are stored in paper, cloth & leather bags, but we also use glass food storage jars.
    [​IMG]
    Food drying in & over a low heat using our wood burning stove with the fire shut down so as NOT to cook the food.
    Keith.

5. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like my luck. No matter how hard I try it always goes wrong. I won't be using an oven thankfully I just bought a dehydrater.

6. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I will be using a dehydrator so hopefully it will help take some of the guess work out. Thank you for your tips, those pumpkin chips look delicious. We tried making beef jerky, but unfortunately it came out too tough.

7. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I had the same thing happen to me too. I had a whole basil plant that I trimmed back, ground up and dried on the oven tray. I even left it on the pan in the oven for a good hour or 2 after I was done baking it and I still had this happen to me. It was super frustrating. I haven't tried an actual dehydrator though. I've been wanting to get one so I can make different types of jerky.

8. TJames13

TJames13 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I have a dehydrator and I absolutely love it. I primarily use my dehydrator for beef jerky and strawberries (not together obviously). I've taken to drying out excess fruit and veggies from my garden as well as anything else I can pick up cheap in the discount section at the grocery store or farmers markets. After I dehydrate everything down I use my food saver and package it up. With the food completely dry and in an air and moisture proof packaging I expect the food to last a very long time. This being said I still rotate some of the older stuff out and use it, if I find a really good deal and can replenish with a fresher supply. While strawberries are my personal favorite for dried fruit, I'm also a big fan of apples and apricots, and I just recently dried some pears for the first time and they are delicious. I've also dried carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes, peas, tomatoes and just about every fruit I can get my hands on. I also will visit the dollar store and dehydrate some of the canned fruit and veggies I find to cut down on size and weight. Another cool thing is if the fruit or veggies are starting to be over ripe you can dehydrate them and the flavors are actually way more intense. Nothing better than strawberries that are way too ripe dehydrated down.

9. BeautifullyBree

43/47

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard of anyone dehydrating vegetables. I know fruit is common. I have also done beef jerky. What is your favorite of the vegetables you've tried? I'm just curious. I will have to try this with some of the vegetables in my garden this year. I wander if squash would be any good.