Delayed Blowback Firearms

Discussion in 'Guns' started by cutaway, Aug 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cutaway

cutaway Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    If anyone here is up for discussing about delayed blowback firearms post here

2. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Can you be a little less specific? Are you talking about a spring-delayed blowback, inertia-delayed blowback, or a roller style blowback vis-a-vis the HK system? The term "delayed blowback" covers, literally tens of dozens of different pistols and rifles...everything from a mechanical disadvantage caused by mass and spring tension, to a rotating barrel.

Toss out a specific gun/system.

3. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL LOL LOL....Ken!!

Well that killed this thread.

Nicely done olde man......in the X ring.

Watcherchris.

4. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am always up for a good discussion, but I prefer to have the topic narrowed down a little more than Kim Whoredashian's ass.

5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Oh...on a side note....at the gun club many years ago.....I had opportunity to pick up some .308 brass shot out of an HK 91.

First time I ever noted the effects of a roller block action on the brass. Nice lines on them running the length of the spent case.

Until then I had no idea it would do that to brass.

The HK 91 was always a bit pricey for my taste....no matter how many praised it.

I always liked the FN LAR in .308 which was also pricey.

Settled on an M1 Garand...and an 03 Springfield both in 30.06. as my first large caliber long guns.
    Also wanted them historically accurate...no modern flash and bling on them.

Even got the long bayonet that fits both of them...though I have no personal use for a bayonet...outside of It being historically accurate. Have the historical cartridge belt as well.

Eventually I will also get the correct bayonet for my .308 Ishapore Enfield.

LOL LOL LOL.....Kim Whoredashian......In the X ring again...nice shooting!!!!

I'll have to remember that one....nice and appropriate...very fitting.

Thanks
    Watcherchris

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  6. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    eah, the Hk will chew up your brass. So will the Century Arms and the Cetmi which are based on the Hk designs. In a 7.62 battle rifle, I much prefer my FAL and my M1A SOCOM. The reality is, none of the quality 7.62 rifles are friendly on the wallet.

7. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Boy oh..boy...you got that right. It was a bit startling to find out what Garands and even the 1903 Springfield are going for now days. They too have become hard on the wallet.
    And so too the FALs and M1A's.
    Cha.....Ching.....$$$$$$$

I''ve shot M1A's belonging to members at the club and they shoot and handle similar to the Garand on which they seem based.

I've only handled one full sized FN FAL and liked it immediately.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

8. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    The Garand and the M1A are close cousins...but different. Their operating system is nearly identical, though the operating rod is shorter on the M1A simply because of the shorter round it fires.

I have a Garand that I bought from a collector years ago. I like it, and that is really the only reason I bought it...I liked it and wanted it. I don't consider it a go-to SHTF rifle, simply because I have so many other more modern choices in a fighting rifle. That being said...I would fight with it and be confident in it if I had to.

The M1A is a beast, and it's heavy. It is NOT as accurate as the internet mythologists claim it to be (only because they hate the AR15)...but it is more than capable of putting all its rounds into a human torso at 500 meters with clean marksmanship. My SOCOM is a lot more accurate than the M1A simply because it has a better trigger, match grade barrel, and better sights. I can stretch that one out to 700 yards with clean marksmanship. I consider that my "rooftop" rifle where I am repelling boarders on my land from my rooftop. I'd prefer to put them down at the gate rather than let them get close to the house.

My son is shooting my SOCOM at our home range...he's a cop with a city agency...and he loves that damned heavy bastard.
    M1A Socom Can.png

9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Friend of mine had an H&K SL7 .308. Those cases came slamming out of the chamber. Speaking of which, I was standing over dozen feet away from him and one case caught me right on the jaw. Man, that hurt!

Those diagonal black marks on the cases are from the chamber flutes. The flutes allowed some ignition gasses to peel the case off the chamber wall so that the roller-delayed blow-back could better eject the cases.

My painful chin bore testimony to the efficacy of the beast's ejection might.

10. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    I bought an SL7 SBR....I hated it. The trunion held too much heat. The rifle overheated in short order. No se bueno for CQB.

Old Geezer likes this.
  11. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer,

I had forgotten about that ...the HK 91s I've seen tend to throw the spent cartridges very straight and with consistency ...clean into the next county. I've never seen a rifle consistently throw a spent case so far and at the same place....but really far.

Yeah....if you caught one on the jaw......you've been hit.

Thanks for reminding me.

Ken,

Nice rifle in the photo...dressed out too.!!

Your son is a lefty!!

A woman in the lane next to me brought one of those SOCOMs to the range one day..along with an AR.

Her SOCOM did not have a can on it....and it was very loud. But I got her spent brass for which I was grateful and reloaded it for my Ishapore Enfield.

Watcherchris.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  12. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My friend didn't keep his SL7 very long. I don't know his reason for having gotten rid of it. The rifles are heavy.

Good info on the overheating issue.

13. Ken S LaTrans

48/58

Blog Posts:
    I would have been happy to leave it in the original synthetic stock, but my son bought that stock for me for Christmas a few years ago.

Yeah....he's a southpaw. My first (late) wife was a lefty too. The boy can shoot though. He made SWAT on his first try after only 3 years on the department. He was invited to try out. I had NOTHING to do with it...he did it all on his own hook.

14. cutaway

cutaway Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Here is an operation:

TMT Tactical likes this.