Dental Health Care

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Pragmatist, Jul 17, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

Last weekend I did some volunteer work with dentists.

When not working had "chats" with a few of 'em.

I mentioned I'm both an emergency responder and a prepper - in the best sense of the word -. Mentioned a main concern of mine is weight restriction in case I must evacuate by FLC - Feet, leather-covered and my concurrent concern about maintaining dental hygiene standards.

Some of the dentists mentioned the relatively-new product "Duel-Ended Travel Models" of proxy brush. The manufacturer is www.staino.com. I AM NOT recommending not endorsing the company. I am only reporting on something that will assist me in my prep. Plus, my order isn't in yet.

This company uses a new technology in manufacturing their brushes. It's discussed on their website I placed in this narrative (more accurately: morning rambling).

A tangent; At msf.com, I've read some of the best info -actually: knowledge - about oral health, especially when under stress and traveling under austere conditions. Had read that oral health is geometrically more than dental and gum care. It relates to the brain and rest of cranium. stuff. Forgot author (Old Geezer of NC ?). Over the years all dentists I do volunteer work with tell me about this.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    That's healthy and smart. Looks like a lot of decent products.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a dental tooth pulling pliers in my stash and bodoc / osage orange /horse apple trees close by to obtain sap for killing pain . An old guy now dead , told me back in the day most families had a set of pliers for pulling teeth .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we get our teeth checked every 6 months, anything that needs doing is done then, a regular dental check is the best prep, at least we start up with a good set of teeth and its one less thing to worry about post SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I did not know horse apple or Osage orange could do that. How is it used or prepared?

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Just cut a small piece of bark off . A whitish sap will probably ozz out in seconds . Just put a dab of sap in your mouth . It has an immediate numbing effect . This sap is very powerful and I can not say what other effects it might have on your body . This effect could possibly be seasonal . I say this because I sent someone to the tree that had a tooth ache and he couldn't feel any effect . I have used it from the same tree and it numbed not only my mouth but my head also .

I know a lady that has a lot of pain that eats dried slices of mock orange and says it stops her pain . I would be scared to do that . But I guess if you are hurting enough you might do desperate things .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  7. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    So, you're saying you can cut at the bark of the tree...OR cut open one of the fruits, those big green gnarly looking things, the size of a softball, for those who aren't familiar with it. I'm sure the natives must have had a use for them then, huh? Thanks for the info. I had heard they were considered poisonous but people say that when they don't know too.
    What about horses or other livestock eating it? Is it okay for them? I think I knew but since I don't have livestock, I have forgottn.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I was told the sap was used by native Americans for tooth ache medicine . As for as feeding it to livestock , I wouldn't . I doubt they would eat it anyway . This stuff apparently has a very powerful chemical , use with caution . You may find it more powerful than what you would get at the dentist office .

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Poltiregist and Radar,

There's a research method I use that's applicable to learn about horse apple and osage orange / dried slice of mock orange, related, ...

With my weird sleeping schedule ... it's now o2:15 AM local on the eastern seaboard of the fruited plain here .... before loosing much of my hearing, I'd phone the toll-free 800 number for the state's Poison Control Center. The Center is staffed 24/7 typically by a pharma candidate for a master's degree at a nearby university.

It's an emergency number I'm calling but the Center is frequently enough slow and quiet in the early AM hours and I'd have knowledgeable people explain stuff to me. I did this on the poisonous snake serums and how to store (climate control) and administer under austere conditions in remote areas.

I am guessing if you call your area Poison Control Center - the 800 toll-free number is set up so your origin phone is routed to your State Poison Control Center.

Just a thought for research.

Prep, prep, prep.

Sidebar; Lone Wolf: Good move re dental hygiene every 6 months. Here in Lord Fairfax's upstart colony, we've got people who won't even get a "free" (nothing is free) flu shot ... and these same people will complain to me about the county's emergency shelter has uncomfortable cots.

10. CCook

CCook New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. I wanted to add a little information i found on curing cavities on my own. I found a video on YouTube that explains a simple way to actually cure your cavities and this one practice has a ton of other health benefits as well. Heres the link..https://clk.ink/KeNcLBf

11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning CCook,

Actually, cavities can't be "cured" as far as the words are usually used.

Will glance at the link shortly.

Appreciate contribution to this important but neglected subject.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    here is a youtube video on some diy dentistry

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. CCook

CCook New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. CCook

CCook New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I actually had that thought as i pressed post. Thanks for clearing that up. I also found this video that was also very helpful for diy dental relief and repair. https://zee.gl/zA9UL

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. CCook

CCook New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:

16. CCook

CCook New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning CCook,

Thank you for additional material.

One of the folks in my prep study group is reviewing above for our implementation into our health care preps.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I got my tooth pulling pliers out of the stash tonight . My wife just pulled her own tooth . Actually it was just a section of the tooth as it was splintered . The skipped trip to the dentist more than payed for the pliers . no antistatic

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    TMT Tactical likes this.