Developing Best Public Policy

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Pragmatist, Sep 1, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://japantoday.com/category/nat...r-of-naming-missing-people-in-disaster-survey

Good morning all,

Developing the best public policy gets me to looking at the historical record and also "comparative studies"; how are the others doing something important ?

Above link tells of Japan exploring idea about going public with names re disaster events.

Well worth thinking about.

It might be worthwhile to avoid Tokyo for the next 30 years just in case that catastrophe happens when you're there.

Note article's "the first 72 hours after a disaster are considered critical for finding survivors".

TMT Tactical and Duncan like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    why are we concerned about public policy? that's for the authorities.
    this is a preppers forum.
    are you "the man"? getting very suspicious now.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    The "authorities" react to what members of the public present. If the citizenry doesn't present "concerns", the citizenry will experience what a select few want. The eastern Europeans can explain this better.

I am "only" a private citizen activist.

That's why I'm hated by many in the area's public sector with their well paid and comfortable jobs in the emergency arena.

4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't see the concern for best public policy, that's up to the authorities, what we are concerned with here is PERSONAL survival in a major catastrophe, there is too much talk here about how wonderful technology is or how to get on ham radio or some other modern hobby, what we should be talking about is how to survive, adapt and go forward when all modern systems have collapsed.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Helpful to understand the local, state, and fed response to disaster, whether someone might require their assistance, want to assist others during the disaster, or to stay out of their way and or avoid all contact with them. I'm more in the latter category.

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    over here, any help from the authorities will be SLOW and very very LATE!
    in a serious and national catastrophe we can forget any help from the authorities as they will be overwhelmed and out of their depth, any help will be confined to the capital you can forget the provinces, the yokels don't count.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

... and someone calls the emergency number (usually 911 here) and gets a nasty and rude response and caller gets in her SUV and drives to - hits a tree and there's a forest fire.

It's too late for the prepper to buy a HAZMAT suit and SCBA. The relatively well-stocked BOP is in this same forest.

The "authorities" hire friends, nephews, nieces, ...

There is a "concern" and a need for public policy input by private citizens.

The recently posted Arkansas 911 call with citizen drowning isn't a first-time event. Last year (maybe 2 years ago) in Washington, D.C. with their independent city status (think of devolution in your area) . the EMT Department has a different payscale and equipment budget than the co-located Fire Department. The union chief of the EMT employees told the public that if it's a medical emergency to arrange their own transportation.

Agree to some level regarding the high tech gadgets with the "however" the high tech vaccinations determine if survival is even needed. Even with our regional hurricane this week, the morbidity and mortality charts will change from the disease and related medical matters. The vaccinations are as high-tech as they come.

Don't know how this bold print got here.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if something isn't handled by the local emergency services(dial 999 over here) then you can forget anyone higher up, they don't even know where the south west of England is and anyway we are so far from London we don't count anyway.
    the local people on the ground do what they can but their equipment is limited as recent flooding proved.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Understand completely, Lone Wolf,

When you leave the Confederation of the Rhine, your Canadian and American cousins will assist in the rehab.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many thanks for the offer but I think we'll do very well once we've escaped the clutches of the 4th Reich!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    You're getting "suspicious" because one of our colleagues is concerned with public policy? And you wonder why we're "concerned" about public policy? That's an easy question to answer!

Public policy is not for the authorities; it's for us, whether we like it or not. It may be made by the authorities but it's directed at us -- for better or worse -- and we need to understand what it is and how it works, so we can avoid the parts that we consider inimical. If a disaster strikes will the authorities impose a curfew and if so, can it be avoided? Will there be rationing (or even worse) confiscation of food, weapons, and supplies? If so, how are you going to handle it? Are you going to hide stuff? If so, where?

I know you pride yourself on "going it alone"; you've alluded to it ever since I've been here. Nothing wrong with that if you can pull it off. I know I can't; I'd be willing to bet that the majority of preppers -- even "doomsdsay" preppers -- would admit that they can't either. Even if you want nothing from "the authorities", the chances are that they will want something from you, whether it's your supplies or your cooperation, passive or not.

I believe serious preppers, by definition, prepare; it's a hell of a lot more than another ten jars of peanut-butter and a couple hundred more rounds of 5.56. It involves enough situational awareness of any issue that could impact you and your team, and that includes an understanding about public policy, especially as it might impact you in an SHTF scenario.

And don't fool yourself; if the S does HTF, it will impact you!

TMT Tactical and GateCrasher like this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can find public policy about catastrophies or whatever you want to call them online, in fact in the past I have done so, printed them off and put them in my files, like I do with a lot of info.
    generally speaking its all fairly wishwashy and all a load of ifs and buts, if this happens we do this but if this happens we do something else. going by previous events the actual response will be lacking, it always is.
    when the big one occurs Devon and Cornwall will become very quickly cut off from the rest of the country, there is only one rail line and the roads are in a bad state of repair so it wont take much.
    as for going it alone, I have done it before when I was off grid, and by that I mean REALLY off grid-no solar panels or ham radios-no computer and no mobile phone, all really basic, the real hermit bit, so I know what I have to do and that is what I have based my plans on, knowledge and skills, experience really is a good teacher, not jars of peanut butter, by the way I HATE peanut butter!!

TMT Tactical likes this.