Did You Know ?

Discussion in 'Going Off The Grid' started by Tom Williams, Feb 21, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    12volt 6 volt batteries should never be placed on concerete. Your battery should never be set on cement or concrete blocks for storeage or use something in it draws power from battery and ruins it batteries should be stored in a vented area as they give off harmfull gas damp wet batteries do not recharge as quick as dry warm batteries but not too close to your heat

sunnytn and Old Geezer like this.
  2. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know that placing these batteries on concrete would pose a problem. This is a really useful bit of advice, thanks. I have noticed that at the dealers these batteries are stored on metal atands.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    To my knowledge placing your solar batteries on cement or cement blocks WILL NOT damage the batteries. In cold weather batteries do not function as efficiently as in warm weather, so placing your batteries on cement could mean that in winter your batteries will get a little colder. However, we have had our solar batteries on cement blocks for over 10 years without any problems. Solar panels on the other hand work more efficiently in cold weather than they do in hot weather, so to some extent this evens things out.
    Keith.
    46zebkFJM3zgE4nGcJu7e7tVGNcOGlUN.jpeg

4. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I am aware that this might be true where as far as motor vehicle batteries are concerned but there are some sources which are disproving this fact and declaring it to be a myth. One thing that is certain, however, is that all the dealers of motor vehicle batteries that I have come across, store the batteries on metal stands. I have have seen solar batteries placed on concrete but this is in homes that generate their own power. I don't know if this method of storage will affect the viability of the solar batteries.

5. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't have concrete around here to place the batteries anyway. I have mostly wood around here. There are places I could store batteries though like my shed for instance. It is one of the ideas I have.