Disaster-proof House

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Oct 4, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/9041113...h-end-homes-disaster-proof-design?partner=rss

Good afternoon all,

Per titles.

Intro: They cost much more.

Article tells of the 1 house standing in devastated Mexico Beach, Panhandle, Florida. It cost twice as much to build.

I found the following interesting: "industry groups tend to fight every policy that could make construction more expensive". What's the difference between this quote and the early 1900s Triangle Shirt Waist fire in Manhattan, NYC ?

Ref concluding para; I'd say the problem is political. The building and occupancy permits are readily given out concurrent with adding a new taxpayer to the roles. Rescue and recovery operations are publicly funded.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    The link did not work for me. Sounds like a good idea, but unless everybody does it, so everybody's costs will be the same it will be cost prohibitive.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      377/460

Blog Posts:
    Link worked fine for me. Interesting ideas, there must be more cost effective ways to implement them. It does irk me how everything has to be about "climate change".

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    There are actually a lot of special construction requirements on the Gulf Coast already. Things like Hurricane hangers are now required on rafters in all new construction and you can't use staples on composition shingle roofs. The beach houses are now set up on steel-reinforced concrete pilings instead of wood telephone poles like they used to be.

The idea that you can build a totally storm-proof house is not reasonably cost-effective. What you can do is make it better and more likely to survive a normal blow. A cat 5 Hurricane requires storm shelter type construction to be massively constructed and it would be more like a bomb shelter. It isn't just the winds and floodwaters that will ruin you. It is the debris that the wind carries as well. Hell, with a Cat 5 that debris can be cars. I have seen 2X4s that were driven through cars and trees by hurricane winds.

I would hate to test out a house and try to ride out a big storm on the beach based on someone's idea that my house was storm proof. A bunch of people died when Rita came in because they thought that their homes were storm proof based on the fact that they had held up to several previous storms.

Build to survive a cat 1 through 3 and then insure it and LEAVE it if a cat 4 or 5 is coming at it.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Interesting ideas but the cost projections of only $1.50-2.00 is bull. First things first, almost every house built in the US in the last 20-30 years has been done so as cheaply as possible. How else do people expect to get their 2,500 sqft house for $300K. the magority of homes now use OSB for flooring, many only us it for sheeting on the corners to help with structural ridgidity with the rest of the wall covered in what is realistically a rigid foam board. The majority of lumber is of low quality and also of smaller nominal dimension lumber than the actual dimension lumber used 100 yrs ago. We have made great strides in technology and if these could be combined with some of the "alternative" technologies being rediscovered today it could be a huge boon. As they mention there are methods like straw bale, cobb, earth bag, dome, underground, etc... One of the other big cost adders is labor, the methods just mentioned are very labor intensive and also very weather dependent. There are even new semi-autonomous technologies in development where a robot arm acts like a huge CNC rapid prototype machine and distributes mortar from what basically amounts to an oversized pastry bag and it builds up one layer at a time. Others use what amount to oversized Lego blocks, shipped in or even built onsite with a machine and then stacked and assembled by robot. Again, cutting out the labor portion. If you think there aren't enough "good paying" jobs today, wait to see what coming in 20 years after the boom of robotics and automation.

No doubt we could build much stronger homes, heck we did that for centuries with post and beam and massive stone and masonry structures. We know we can build super energy efficient structures too but all of this aren't conducive to the modern mentality of coming in and throwing up 200 tract homes in 12-18 months for the least cost possible that a bank can mortgage for the largest sum possible. And if these houses are crap in 40 years, well that is sort of built in obsolescence. I have no doubt it could be planned out over a few years and then even be executed for lower costs if self built with the trade off being it taking years rather then months. Commercially it might be viable to a trade off but again the cost structure needs to change from that of volume to that of quality. Do you want it good, cheap or fast, you only get one.

I think we need to look back to how things were done for centuries. An example is say the great plains. Why not go back to the styling of the 'ol sod buster shacks where they used a design of partially underground house that provided storm protection, energy efficiency and security. In many other areas maybe we need to go back to post and beam. Trade off though will be to save on lumber or in place of quality lumber maybe the posts and beams are out of precast concrete or some sort of hybrid metal and polymer configuration. All kinds of things can be done but to mass build them you'll have a starter home that starts at 300K.

I have a file I work on from time to time and a few partially completed floor plans and ideas I've been working on for several years in the hopes of someday building my "dream" home that I hope to be a good balance and mix of safety, longevity and energy efficiency. Who knows if it'll ever get complete and built but this is one area I do like to let my brain chew on.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's the deal -- something that dawns on you when you're coming to the end of it all -- the universe is strange. We're in a play, just like the bard told us long ago. A strange universe breeds strange beings.

It is not simply a dark comedy, it is part madness. Logic has some small part to play.

Never draw to yourself the gaze of the Fates. They are not your friends.

zXui53kGLHmsOT45_W_oRwTFVSYIWntX.jpeg

Remember that the Tower of Babel was indestructible. We can build a ladder to paradise.

76dbaf8f05b3e270e241ec271c5f76a9.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The Titanic was an unsinkable ship...It never pays to challenge Mother Nature...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
  9. Old Geezer

515/575

Blog Posts:
    upload_2019-10-4_23-49-41.png
    f3c52c8f0c1fd95ad1e576435966d968.jpeg

A Prayer for Cleansing
    To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bath–she'ba.

1 Have mercy upon me, O God,
    according to thy loving-kindness:
    according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies
    blot out my transgressions.
    2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I acknowledge my transgressions:
    and my sin is ever before me.
    4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned,
    and done this evil in thy sight:
    that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest,
    and be clear when thou judgest. Rom. 3.4
    5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity;
    and in sin did my mother conceive me.
    6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts:
    and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
    7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean:
    wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    8 Make me to hear joy and gladness;
    that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
    9 Hide thy face from my sins,
    and blot out all mine iniquities.
    10 Create in me a clean heart, O God;
    and renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence;
    and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.
    12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation;
    and uphold me with thy free Spirit.
    13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways;
    and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
    14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God,
    thou God of my salvation:
    and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
    15 O Lord, open thou my lips;
    and my mouth shall show forth thy praise.
    16 For thou desirest not sacrifice;
    else would I give it:
    thou delightest not in burnt offering.
    17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit:
    a broken and a contrite heart, O God,
    thou wilt not despise.
    18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion:
    build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
    19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness,
    with burnt offering and whole burnt offering:
    then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

The Psalms 51

10. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    For affordable disaster-resistant housing consider building with insulated concrete forms (ICF). We built ours 14 years ago and the cost was about 20% higher than non-ICF comparable homes (comps) in our area, but some of that added cost was for other upgrades we included in the construction.

Unsurprisingly, 6-12 inches of steel reinforced concrete holds up better than stick or brick walls against natural or man-made disasters. See table 2 in the attached pdf for comparisons with 7 other different wall systems against fire, wind, earthquakes, flood, and blast.

2x4 cannon (tornado/hurricane debris) testing

And because we're preppers/survivalists, M16, .50 cal, and explosive testing

ICF also provides an increased radiation protection factor (each 2.5 inches of concrete reducing the radiation inside by one half), they're nearly airtight if you want to add an air filtration system, and because the exterior door frames are bolted to the concrete walls they're much more resistant to forced entry.

To get an idea of the thickness and strength of ICF, an old pic from immediately after construction and before we finished the windows sills. The total wall thickness is about 14 inches, with 8 inches of reinforced concrete as the core.

6dae9bb611eb768f81921a30d717443a.jpeg

Attached Files:

Sonofliberty likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Gate Crasher,

Real interesting pictures and info. Merci.

Yes, pics - and notes - "or it didn't happen".

TMT Tactical likes this.