Disease X

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Old Geezer, Mar 10, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/scientists-warn-mysterious-deadly-new-12160964

Well, we may have ourselves a new plague on our doorstep. Seems the scientists and medical community are a bit stumped as to the nature of this new virus coming after humans. An interesting aspect of this new pathogen is that it could be a designer virus -- yes, a military weapon that has escaped its intended target area. Who knows? Everyone is puzzled, however all those in the know know that this is not going to be any sort of happy adventure.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/w...ystery-killer-disease-x/2018/03/10/id/847949/
    "While Disease X's origins are unknown, WHO experts say that its most probable source is 'zoonotic diseases, or Zoonoses' that are present in wild and domesticated animals that can be transmitted to humans.

"Two such 'Zoonoses' are Ebola and HIV, which both had their origins in animals, according to the report.

"With Disease X, domestic livestock are the most likely incubators, as large groups of farm animals housed close together "create ideal breeding conditions for zoonotic disease."

"The viruses constantly mutate and travel rapidly from wild animals to farm animals — and then to humans.

"'They can be spread by ticks, but the fastest moving are airborne,' the Telegraph reports.

"To combat Disease X, the WHO has enlisted its longtime weapon: "preparedness," which includes 'improving disease surveillance' and strengthening local health systems worldwide.

"Through the methods, the WHO 'aims to spot an outbreak early, contain it and kill it off before it spreads,' according to the Telegraph.

"Dr. Nahid Bhadelia of the Boston University Medical Center likened the effort to a city building dams or seawalls for flood protection."

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up. Appreciated.
    Keith.

3. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Were I a book-maker, my prediction would be that this virus will kill hundreds, maybe thousands of people. It will cause a whole lot of problems for the medical community. However, I doubt that its consequences will be anywhere near apocalyptic in magnitude.

I think the take-away from this event is that should a hell-virus show up -- maybe I should say when it shows up -- there will be no warning. How could there be any warning?! Boom! Here it is!

There is talk of isolating this disease. There is talk of creating a vaccine against this Disease X. What if it breaks out of its quarantine area?! What if this evolved deadly by week's end?! Viruses evolve at a ferocious pace. How apt the old phrase, "A day late and a dollar short."

Nasty events such as this virus thingy, speak to those who prepare and say, "Be prepared NOW. There are those things one can put off and then there are those things that crash through your front door."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/7688672-3x2-940x627.jpg

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.tow...1e1-a288-001a4bcf887a/4fc7fef7573dd.image.jpg

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DBYCBH/car...-car-that-crashed-straight-through-DBYCBH.jpg

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/Pella+Walmart+crash+2.jpg

http://16749-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/839086_tuecops_61.jpg

http://www.irishnews.com/picturesar...3680-af356447-bf53-4421-88ed-52d8bef3cb37.jpg

https://www.wsatlaw.com/wp-content/...es-One-Of-The-Vehicles-Crash-Into-A-House.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sooner or later there is going to be another disease that will get a bunch of people. The biological world is a Pandora's Box that sooner or later man or nature will reopen.

So far we have been able to deal with the bugs as they have popped up and limited their spread while minimizing the number of deaths. The last one that got away was the Spanish Influenza. We have only in the last two or three years figured out the how and why of that one. It was a strange one in that it killed the young and healthy males while leaving the very young, the old and the already weak alive. Basically it invaded the body and turned the immune system on the person. Those with the strongest immune systems were the ones most affected while the weak and infirm easily survived it.

The plagues swept through periodically and then just vanished. They are beginning to believe that they vanished basically because they killed until there were so few left that weren't naturally immune that the disease couldn't be spread effectively anymore. Time would pass and when there were again enough people to carry it it would reappear. Eventually it mostly became a non issue, it still exists there just aren't many people that are strongly affected by it anymore.

The next big one will sweep across the world as none before it. We are now truely one world and in hours any germ can hit on every continent except maybe Antarctica. The problem won't be the virulence as much as it will be that the world wide medical will be overwhelmed to the point of total collapse in its ability to cope. What will happen to a country if even 10% of their population is suddenly deathly ill? What could the US do with 35 million dying people? It will be especially hard on the medical professionals and as they drop who will take their places?

Old Geezer likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's another kicker about that monster 1918 influenza: People in their prime would develop pulmonary hemorrhagia, i.e. bleeding lungs.

http://www.whale.to/v/spanish.html

And this hemorrhagic aspect of the flu virus is still around:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20420734

The average person on the street does not think of influenza as being a killer, save maybe for children and the elderly.

Oops! The flue can be a killer -- indeed, a killer of populations.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The flu that is going around this year, had it popped up in the early 1900s, would have been a killer possibly along the lines of the Spanish Influenza. My wife and I have been sick for going on 6 weeks. I have never been this sick in my entire life. Had we been sick like this at a point where we didn't have food on hand and modern medicines I am pretty sure we would have died.

The thing is about this flu is that it just wears you down. I ran fever over 103/39.5 every day for over 10 days. Our lungs clogged up to the point that we couldn't sleep laying down. We are STILL sleeping in recliners in the living room. Even when the fever would slack off we were coughing endlessly. I am finally getting better but my wife has relapsed and now has pneumonia. Were it not for modern medicine it would have killed her.

The thing that people don't grasp today is that without the medicines that we take for granted this is how most illnesses would be. With nothing to effectively fight the fever and antibiotics to deal with the side issues caused by the viral infection people in the past just can't always pull it out. My Grandfather died of pneumonia. He was 37 in the prime of life in great shape. He had a cold and refereed a bi-district football game in the rain. 10 days later he was dead. At the time there was just nothing that could be done for pneumonia except try to treat the symptoms. 2 years after his death sulfa drugs were discovered an probably would have saved him.

The thing is that there have been a lot of "plagues" in the years since the advent of effective drugs that came out beginning in the 1930s. We commonly survive many things that were a death sentence before that time. One of the reason the world population has grown so large is that so many of us survive things that would have killed our grandparents. I remember polio and had friends with it. My Mother survived smallpox her sister died of yellow fever. Kids now don't even have to deal with measles or mumps and whooping cough.

Sooner or later a viral infection is going to come along that will be bad enough to weaken our ability to deal with the bacterial infections that are everywhere. We as a people are poorly prepared for this in medical, mental or physical strengths and abilities. Our natural immune systems have been replaced with externally administered medicines and have grown weak. We are no longer prepared for the sort of mass illnesses that we common not long ago and people nowadays have never had to deal with the sort of mental trauma that this sort of thing causes.

My wife and I are on the mend now but both of us are weak as kittens. I will have to work hard for a while just doing ordinary things like going to the grocery store.

Side note... The stores here have now got online grocery shopping and it has been a real lifesaver. You make your grocery list shot it online and pay online then just drive by and they load it in your car for you. We have kept Campbells soup running thanks to the ease of picking up like this. The good thing about this also is that we didn't have to go in and spread our germs to others. End side note...

One thing that we will beef up over the next few month will be our stores of antibiotics. I already have some but will add to it in both variety and volume.

7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Gene discovered in Georgia water a possible global threat"

https://news.uga.edu/gene-discovered-in-georgia-water-a-possible-global-threat/

"The MCR-9 gene, which causes antimicrobial resistance, was recently found in Georgia

"A gene that causes bacteria to be resistant to one of the world’s most important antibiotics, colistin, has been detected in sewer water in Georgia. The presence of the MCR-9 gene is a major concern for public health because it causes antimicrobial resistance, a problem that the World Health Organization has declared 'one of the top 10 global public health threats facing humanity.'

"Researchers from the University of Georgia’s Center for Food Safety (CFS) collected sewage water from an urban setting in Georgia to test for the MCR gene in naturally present bacteria. Led by College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences assistant professor Issmat Kassem, whose research focuses on MCR’s presence around the world, the team was surprised at how quickly they detected MCR — they found evidence of the gene in the first sample they took.

"Kassem said that demonstrates that the gene is becoming established in the U.S."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are many antibiotic resistant germs around and have been for many years, the over use of such medication by the "worried well" has been the reason.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey, stop monkeying around!

"First U.S. Monkeypox Case Confirmed, with Gay Men Especially at Risk"

https://news.yahoo.com/first-u-monkeypox-case-confirmed-180918378.html

"Health officials in Massachusetts have confirmed a single case of the monkeypox virus in a man who recently traveled to Canada. Recent outbreaks of the virus, which is endemic to central and western Africa but rare elsewhere, have occurred in the U.K., Spain, and Portugal. The unidentified adult male in Massachusetts is the first confirmed case of the virus in the U.S. this year.

"While this is the first confirmed case this year in the U.S., outbreaks have occurred across Europe. The U.K. has reported nine cases of the monkeypox virus, with the first case occurring in a man who had recently traveled to Nigeria. Reuters reported Spain earlier today confirmed seven cases of the virus, while Portugal confirmed a total of 14 cases.

"Gay, bisexual, and men who have sex with men are particularly at risk, as evidenced by the recent outbreak in the U.K. which occurred amongst men in the LGBTQ+ community.

“'The evidence suggests that there may be transmission of the monkeypox virus in the community, spread by close contact,' Dr. Susan Hopkins, Chief Medical Adviser at the U.K. Health Security Agency, said in a statement released Monday. 'We are particularly urging men who are gay and bisexual to be aware of any unusual rashes or lesions and to contact a sexual health service without delay.'”

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Good riddance , my only condolences is for any unknowingly heterosexual people that may be infected . This trash is what is preying upon our children .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    this monkeypox must be a replacement disease for Aids, the more gays that get it the better. shouldnt say that I suppose but I never did like unnatural practises.
    this "gay" monicker makes me laugh, we always used to call it Buggery over here.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Galatians 6:7-9

7 Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow. 8 If you sow to your own flesh, you will reap corruption from the flesh, but if you sow to the Spirit, you will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9 So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest time, if we do not give up.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    please keep your religious postings in the religion sub section.

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Old Geezer
      Good advice is good advice.

Old Geezer, May 20, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its not up for debate, warning applied.

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. poltiregist