"ditchbag", A/k/a/ "flea Bag"

Discussion in 'Survival Kits' started by Pragmatist, Oct 1, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    http://www.equipped.com/abndonship.htm

Good evening all,

Some have plans involving water, eg crossing a large river, a bay, coastal areas, and the rest.

Above link tells of the basic ditch bag and how the individual modifies it for personal envisioned situation.

Note: "ALL equipment must be fitted with a lanyard,..".

Note: "Being organized and practice are the only defense when an emergency occurs".

Above link contains additional hyperlinks for research.

Even though this kit is somewhat "topographic - specific" such as for the amphib environment, the principles are about the same as on dry topo features.

Hopefully of value.

varuna, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a "ditch bag" sounds like something one would have on an airplane, a helicopter or a small boat.
    an "amphibious" environment is not something most of us will ever come across , a stream or small river can be crossed using a wooden staff as a "third leg", I don't think many of us are going to even attempt to cross a bay or other environment, we leave that to the likes of "Bear Grylls" who seems to have a fixation with always getting wet!!

TMT Tactical, Keith H. and Morgan101 like this.
  3. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This looks like a BOB for a boat. Much the same practice, and much the same equipment just waterproof, and floatable. Interesting that they mention having a lanyard. I had read an article by Mykel Hawkes who had one of those survival TV shows. His advice was if you had something important enough to carry it should be tied to you. I just wonder what happens if what is tied to you, or what you have on the lanyard starts to sink?

This is good food for thought. I am seldom on the water, but if you are it should be part of your preps.

Pragmatist: I know we don't get hung up on grammar or spelling, but I do have to tease you about the title. I thought we were going to talk about pets or an old seedy hotel; not getting away.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan,

The term "flea bag" was mentioned in the link or one of the others.

As an aside, I once had to draft a contract for an ocean going supply vessel and a term used was "slop chest". I had to look it up. Forgot origin of meaning. Another mariner term that entered politics and business is "slush fund".

I just looked for "flea bag" in a maritime pulp dictionary here but did not see it while skimming through.

Still, whether it's a BOB-equivalent or just a bag of emergency supplies, all not not important to distinguish.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  5. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    From the link: Most responsible mariners also stock an Abandon Ship Bag (also called a "ditch bag", "ditch kit", "grab bag", or "flee bag")

The verb; not the noun. It's O.K. We still love you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    You won't believe how many peoples miss (ignorance) of those 2 points quoted above

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A close friend & I once got swamped in a storm on The Great Lakes, we had to get out of our boat & swim the boat to shore. But my normal pack stayed dry, for the most part, & my blanket was rolled up inside my oilcloth shelter, so it remained dry. This was in early winter, & it was pouring with rain. I got a fire going with my flint, steel & tinderbox whilst my friend rigged a shelter from the boat sails & our oilcloths. We sat in the shelter wearing only our breechclouts & blankets drinking port whilst watching our clothes steam in front of the fire hanging on a rope line strung between trees.
    76e4cc939b689bbc224498990592ba65.jpeg
    On the dock before the storm.
    Keith.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a bailout bag in my boat. It has the things that I might need to ride out a storm onshore if the weather got too bad to make the run back or if I had engine problems that might require a stay. It isn't a lot, a tube tent, space blankets, ponchos, a big garbage bag, foil, flashlight, fire makings, a water filter, and some food.

The big lakes in East Texas have a lot of long coves that you can fish in and then when you start to leave the lake can be outrageous if a storm blows up. In East Texas, the weather forecast early always has an add on "Possible locally heavy Afternoon thunderstorms." It can go from blue skies to hail and a monster small storm in a few minutes. These storms are small but can make a lake dangerous as hell. If you are prepared you are less likely to make a bad decision and will turn a potential disaster into an overnight adventure that you can talk about and laugh about in the future.

9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.weather.gov/safety/coldwater

Good afternoon Lone Wolf,

Re amphib environments;

I understand many preppers do not plan to be involved in this environment, however,
    it is still a "best practice" to know the basics such as cold water dangers. Even during the hottest season of the hottest day, while crossing a small river or creek, a fall into cold water is a danger.

If the traveler is tired and meals had been off schedule, the standard fatigued body is weakened.

Thus, I ask all to glance at the above link even if only for familiarization.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.