Dive Boat Fire Report

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Nov 26, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/californ...lations-coast-guard-conception-labor-day-fire

Good morning all,

Per ...

The boat was exempt from the new regulations under the "grandfathered in" doctrine.

Instead of "just follow the regulations", could not some amount of responsibility attach to the passengers ? A young, healthy diver can exit a 24 " hatch in darkness. Others cannot ... although diving is not an activity for all. Place some responsibility on the citizenry for a change.

CD1882's follow-on comment is correct.

I haven't read any of the NTSB material; just the media articles. Was no one topside and awake during the night ?

Prep, prep, prep
    and
    factor in safety

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Although I understand the need to give exemption in some vessel type (traditionally constructed boat, vintage, etc) that doesn't mean the crew could skimp in other safety related aspect or seamanship.

I wonder what happen to the boat master? :confused: Does he / she jumping overboard at the first chance to do so and abandoning the boat passengers? :confused:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

You're right.

The other safety matters were neglected. The electrical system was inadequate for the cell phone and other gadget recharging.

The incident is not yet finalized. "Usually", in scandals like this the boat master leaves the industry. The skipper of the Exxon Valdez never returned to the maritime boat industry.

I do want this post to reflect my strong view that everyone with some extra money cannot be a SCUBA diver or explorer or hunter or kayaker. These private citizens are transferring their inadequacies over to the public sector.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    IMO any boat / ship master who's abandoned their crew or passenger should earn to "walk the plank" (no longer viable to "keel hauling" nowadays with the propeller in the way)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

We Americans are living in a different type of environment.

Maybe the passengers did not accept the skipper's diversity. Maybe the skipper was under medication and needed a swim. Maybe the crew was drunk and dangerous. Maybe the skipper just lost his insurance and was saddened and experienced mental anguish.

"Walk the plank" would be viewed internationally, with exceptions, as a form of ocean pollution. Embalming might be required. Keel hauling is possible even with propellers. It is a form of punishment and if a US flag vessel requires much adjudication. You had mentioned 6 years of study of civil law. You know it's a long drawn-out process - and the skipper is a member of the Masters, Mates and Pilots labor union. MMP is also politically active in the US.

Much has changed.

I'm still trying to figure out how the US, once with the best and safest and well-compensated merchant marine, lost this fleet. It was probably because of one of the US Presidents or perhaps blame should be assigned to the dance "Basa Nova".

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    Got it, few 9mm coming out of the barrel then :cool:

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say too much regulations, and overly politically powerful union. Don't get me wrong, I'm a stern believer of the need for a worker union, but an overtly politically powerful union will guarantee to sink business, and when that happen (already start happening here) everybody lose.

TMT Tactical likes this.