Diy Bow (+ Arrows) For Survival Situation

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Pragmatist, Jun 26, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    I still can't understand those who never shot any arrow from any bow typically would choose bow over easier to use crossbow. Even well trained modern day archer would struggle (no longer in full strength) after loosing 4 -5 arrow

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Varuna,

If someone never used any bow, they would not know which type is easier.

My personal wilderness survival philosophy would be to never rely on any bow. The time, effort and energy consumption probably can't be replaced by a rabbit.

cc: Roger Rabbit's wife (US culture)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A bow can be a valuable tool. If the hunting range is "from here to there", then the bow and arrow fit the bill.

"Deer are the most popular game animal, according to the survey, which found that over 8.1 million people hunt deer annually. Wild turkeys were the next most popular game, with 2 million hunters; followed by elk and bear."

This site has a header that stays on the screen too long, annoying. Finally goes away.
    https://www.archerytrade.org/state-by-state-hunting-data/

America has a massive problem with deer overpopulation.

I used to be into archery. I love to target shoot with archery equip, but do so with hunting equip., not target. That way, if I need to use archery for food gathering, I can. Spent years having fun in this exercise and got good -- I'd practice multiple times per week. Had my target tips, but also had my broadheads for business.

I made note that when I released an arrow, it didn't go BOOM! Quite handy being quiet. During SHTF situations, one would rather not have anyone's attention drawn to them. That could go bad.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    any bendy branch can be used as a survival bow but its length of use may be limited.
    if only to survive until rescue comes this may be sufficient.
    if however the stay is longer or even permanent a better quality bow will be needed, this takes time to perfect.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. wally

wally Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    a few years ago i started lessons(about 5 of them) with a longbow style then they closed up shop and nothing replaced them
    i do own a compound and a recurve and a crossbow but alas no training in any of them....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    practice, practice, practice.

wally and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can make a decent longbow in a day and a dozen arrows in another day. I can make a kill with a bow and have. I'm not sure how long it would take to build a crossbow and the bolts for a crossbow are much stronger than arrows. a crossbow is an awkward thing to carry and they require more effort to cock and load. I will loose 5 arrows accurately while a crossbow will loose one. When not in use the longbow easily rides my back and weighs very little. If the bowstring breaks, I can make another one. Have you ever tried to string a crossbow??? It takes special tools and a homemade string won't do the job.

I like crossbows and even compound bows but in a survival situation, I like the longbow in a 45 to 60-pound draw. I can put a 31" arrow halfway through a deer with one of the heavier draws.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, but a crossbow is a useful tool and I always say use what you can until it no longer is available or no longer works, that goes the same for crossbows as it goes for technology.
    eventually we will reach a point where we will have to return to the old ways of doing things and that will mean longbows.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If I want to go higher tech than a longbow I will use my compound bow. With a peep sight and sighting pins, it is about as accurate and dependable as a crossbow but still is a fast second shot. Out to about 50 yards/meters, it will bury a 31" arrow in you up to the fletching if it doesn't hit bone. Mine is an old Bear with a 65 pound draw.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    agreed, I prefer a longbow but a simple crossbow like the old Barnett Commando with the wooden stock is a useful addition, an addition not a replacement.

TMT Tactical likes this.