Diy Pharmaceutical Compounding

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by GateCrasher, Jun 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    DIY pharmaceutical compounding information from the World Health Organization, intended for use at the village clinic level in turd world countries but applicable for SHTF use.

I found this one a couple years ago, Small-Scale Preparation of Eye Drops, the povidone iodine eye drops are easy to prepare and many preppers already have the ingredients / supplies, especially if you're already making your own tinctures. I already had everything except for the eye-drop bottles to hold it, $5 at Amazon iirc. At a stronger concentration they can be used for outer/middle ear infections too. Povidone iodine has wide antimicrobial activity against many bacteria, viruses, and fungi and few contraindications.

This one describes how to prepare a number of ointments/creams for treating skin diseases or parasitic infections. Dermatological Preparations for the Tropics. Many of the active ingredients are available without a prescription in raw chemical form online and for less cost than commercial products. The unmixed ingredients generally last longer in storage than the commercially prepared ointments which break down or degrade over time, so less cost to rotate and replace expired ones, just prepare them as needed after the SHTF.

Anyone else making their own compounds/tinctures? If so what are you making, how do you do it, and what does it treat?

2. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Bump

TMT Tactical and elkhound like this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

Good find, GateCrasher! This is an excellent resource....IF you can get and maintain a supply of the chemicals needed to formulate the medicines, which may be hard to do in a SHTF situation. The chemicals have a shelf life just as the commercially available preparations do. So there's that problem, too.

While I do have commercially made medical preps in my arsenal, for sustainability I make sure I have a ready supply of natural alternatives (AND seeds, rhizomes, etc. to ensure their continuity). For many years, I have located or planted wild and domestic medicinals all over my area. If one source is hit by some misfortune, hopefully, I have another one available somewhere else. (Covering my bases, lol.)

The resources in this thread will point you in the right direction for growing / finding medicinals (and edibles): https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads...le-medicinal-plant-id-method.6106/#post-40710

I would like to suggest a few excellent favorite books from my library, all of which are available from Amazon.com.

(Our international friends will also find this information useful because many of the plants and materials are available worldwide.)

The Herbal Medic: Practical, clinical herbalism & first aid for home, remote and post-disaster environments, Volume 1, by Sam Coffman

The Wild Wisdom of Weeds: 13 Essential Plants for Human Survival, by Katrina Blair

The Modern Herbal Dispensatory: A Medicine-Making Guide, by Thomas Easley and Steven Horne

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual, by James Green

Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to First Aid and Medical Emergencies, by Paul S. Auerbach, MD (This book is extremely comprehensive and useful for almost any situation.)

And last, but not least, a very useful and free publication, Survival and Austere Medicine: An Introduction. (More about that in this thread: https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/remote-austere-wilderness-third-world-medicine.6602/

4. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Instead of povidone iodine eye drops, I use a goldenseal root tea, freshly made and filtered for each use. Studies have shown that it is an excellent microbial for combating many eye infections caused by gram-positive bacteria and some gram-negative ones too. It also has anti-inflammatory properties as well.

As a bonus, goldenseal root also has a long history of treating various viruses, fungi, and parasites. It has an affinity for infections of the digestive and respiratory tract, as well as the eyes, mouth, and skin.

The berberine in the goldenseal is an alkaloid that is also present in other plants, such as Oregon Grape Root and Barberry, which are a lot easier to grow. (https://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/holistic-medicine-library/oregon-grape-gentle-protector/ also, https://www.motherearthliving.com/plant-profile/barberry-a-shrub-with-medicine-in-its-makeup)

Good stuff!

For making medical tinctures, teas, etc. see the recommended reading list in the previous post (the topic is too large to condense in a post or even ten!).

5. elkhound

elkhound Master Survivalist
      307/345

Blog Posts:
    2nd link in OP doesnt work for me.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I think he may be referring to the second link (Dermatological Preparations for the Tropics) in the OP (GateCrasher's first post on this thread).

I got it to work on my phone, after some difficulty... but not on my computer which was strange.

elkhound likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    GA, you are right.It does not work for my computer either. I must have had a senior moment in my earlier post.

elkhound and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Naah... I just dazzled you so much with my bright post you thought I was the OP!

Just kidding! just kidding!

(Hattip from one senior to another, lol.)

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Link not working for me now either. Too large a file to upload, but there's a copy here: http://africanskindiseases.org/wiki/pdf/Preparations.pdf

Thanks for the book recommendations Grizzlyette, I own the Peterson field guide and it's dirty and somewhat dogeared from field use :) Have Paul Auerbach's Wilderness Medicine book, but will look for a copy of his "Medicine for the Outdoors" as you suggested. Do you have any other personal favorites besides tincture of goldenseal? Any that always seem to help with a particular symptom or ailment?

My only experience with tinctures was one I made with mullein leaf and flowers in 80-proof vodka, it didn't seem to have much of an effect on the symptoms or duration when I tried it with the flu. Took about a month to make it, drying then soaking the mullein for about a week before straining it out and more freshly dried leaves/flowers and letting those soak for a week. I repeated it 3 times, then left it in in the dark until used. Any effect it had wasn't noticeable to me. I do normally take elderberry extract (commercially purchased) when I feel a cold/flu coming on and that often does seem to shorten the duration of illness.

elkhound and TMT Tactical like this.