Diy Potted Meats.

Discussion in 'Other Homesteading' started by Keith H., Apr 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
  2. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I'm from, it was salt pork and smoked meat. Lot's of folk had their own smokehouses or a family would use the grandparents' smokehouse. Beef was a rare. Beef was something special. Mostly, people would get one of the kids to wring a chicken's neck before supper. After the first frosts of autumn, sometimes it was fried squirrel and gravy. Trout was a wonderful supper. Both of my grandfathers loved to fish. I never got good at fishing.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Never have smoked our meat. In the Territory we ate mostly Buffalo, Geese & Wild Boar. No Buffalo or Geese here in New England. Mostly we roast our meat & preserve by freezing, though I have also dried our own meat (except pig meat!).
    Keith.

4. Mekada

Mekada Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    We also do the drying as well. Biltong is very big over here. I have never tried to store meat in any other way...yet.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Interesting video and channel. I've had potted beef before and it is good. There are, naturally, other ways of preserving meat, but more the merrier on this front. Thanks for the share. :)