Do-It-Yourself Trigger-Spring Snare for Small Game

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by branchd77, Jan 20, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    The Trigger-Spring Snare has been around for as long as we have, and earlier versions have been used by primitive societies world-wide. There are four necessary elements of a trigger-spring snare, which include:

• Noose

• Two-Part Trigger

• Leader Line

• Engine

Noose

To create the noose, you must use approximately 18-24 inches of any type of malleable flexi-wire (neither too brittle, nor too thick). The wire must be capable of quickly stringing through the snare and when pulled upon, must tighten rapidly. If this type of material is unavailable, you will have to make do with some type of string material (like fishing line, dental floss, etc). If the string snaps when you forcefully pull it apart with your two fists, then it likely will not be capable of holding a 5-8 lb animal. If you are really at a loss for noose-like materials, there are certain bark fibers that may do the trick (such as dogbane, palm and milkweed).

Two-Part Trigger

The hook and base (trigger) make up the leader line. While the noose is tied to the bottom (base) of the leader line, the hook attaches to the top. The "engine" ultimately provides tension-force to the hook- until an animal comes by and "unlocks" it by pulling on the noose. Please note that are many ways to modify the trigger to its specific geographic surroundings (for example, by using a modified carved trigger or a Y-Stick Trigger).

Leader Line

The most important fact about the leader line concerns its purpose. Your leader line must be strong enough to resist the weight of a captured animal, as well as the force that the animal may exert while trying to get free.

Engine

The engine is essentially the mechanism that the animal must deploy to set off the trap. The engine can differ depending on your specific surroundings. For example, in a treeless environment you could always stick a branch into the ground to create a type of "stake". Additionally, you may weigh your leader line over a support (like a branch) to accomplish the same thing.

These are the basic components to primitive snares. While you may need to do further research to determine which type of trigger-spring snare would be the most advantageous considering your environmental setting, bear in mind that the noose itself can be a great tool, even without the remaining components that define it as a double-spring.

Additional Snaring Tips

• Do not simply set up snares wherever you like as this will ultimately be a waste of energy. Instead, set up snares specifically where you know small game has been traveling (areas with signs of animal occupation). For example, an area with burrows, signs of feeding, droppings and/or scratches would be ideal.

• It is also possible to use natural obstacles (such as logs, rocks, dirtsetc) to funnel animals towards your traps as opposed to completely disturbing the surrounding areas.

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  2. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever tried using a metal leader plus a yo-yo fishing reel?. This is something I was researching, kind of cheating but I'm always looking for the lazy way out :) like using large rat traps with holes and 550 cord them to trees for squirrels. Trapping is something I'd love to learn more about....

Ricky Jeringan likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fur fish and game is a mag that has many years of teaching hunting trapping fishing is great for how too skills

4. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Sweet thanks for the tip....

Here is the website for everyone...

http://www.furfishgame.com/

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Anytime i can help

TheJim likes this.
  6. hippyzomby

hippyzomby New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    When we first moved here my husband had me out in the woods showing me this. He was talking about how him and his friends use to do when they were kids and got in trouble for killing animals out of season. He is an adult now and knows when to do it and everything else. But I am from a town my food use to come from walmart. Since moving here I have had squirrel and rabbit thanks to this trap.