Do Preppers Need Camouflage?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by John Snort, Jun 1, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I saw an argument against camo on a prepper site and it had me confused. Isn't the point of camouflage to make it harder for you to be spotted? If you are in the city you blend in, if you are in the woods it makes it harder for anyone to tell you apart from the greenery :)

What are your thoughts on camouflage? Is good or bad?

Morgan101, The Innkeeper and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I see where your confused.
    wearing camo in a city will get you spotted.."look someone wearing camo, he must be one of those preppers we heard about!" sort of thing.
    whereas in the countryside,camo is normal working gear and nobody even bats an eyelid.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    So in the city there's no point in wearing camo. Just do your best to stay out of sight and everything will be fine. At least until you need to bug out.

What should one wear when bugging out?

The Innkeeper likes this.
  4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    See what to wear and how. I just posted

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a city wear what everyone else does, the idea is to "blend" in not stand out.

The Innkeeper and John Snort like this.
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Camo green spring and summer. Fall brown winter wear either brown or if snow white black is for night work. This is for when your in survive mode otherwise wear whatever

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Camo clothing is good IF it matches your surroundings. The military use different camo clothing for different areas, white clothing for snow for instance. I just wear earth colours, that is browns, greens, grey, beige. You will not easily see me in the woods. Camo will not protect you from movement. Movement is what gives people away.
    Long term your clothing is not going to last, then you will have to make your own. In a 20 year period when we were making our own clothes, we found that pre 19th century style clothing lasted longer than modern clothing. We think this was because they were made with less stress points, more room to move. I still wear 18th century clothing for woodsrunning.
    Keith.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    The Innkeeper and John Snort like this.
  8. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think camouflage is okay, but not if someone is hunting in the woods. Sometimes you want to be seen sometimes you don't. If you have people around hunting with fire arms you don't really want to be camouflaged unless you see them first. If your hunting or in a time of war this might be good. I think it depends on the situation really.

9. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    A year or so ago I lived up north just outside of D.C a very highly populated Urban/Modern City. I had just moved up there from Living in South Carolina for years and years. I consider myself southern as I've lived in the South my entire life, And I wear what is considered "Southern Clothing" Think.. Larry the Cable guy, or Duck Dynasty the TV show.

Jeans, Shoes/Boots, T-Shirt, Camo/Or something Camo related, like the browning symbol, or Mossy Oak/Real Tree, Camo Hat. The first time I wore that outfit up there, so many eyes were turned towards me, I was definitely an outcast. Everyone else was wearing suits and ties, polo shirts, long dresses, high heels, dress pants. the Works. Here I was wearing all that camo, and a bushy beard, Haha..

I still wore camo most days when I wasn't at work, that's just how I've always dressed and how I'm most comfortable, Camo Is a neccesity in life for me, as a Civillian and as a Prepper.

10. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Camo is what hides you from the eyes. It varies on where you are as others have noted. It could be as complex as a customized ghillie suit or as simple as a clipboard or a ladder. It’s amazing where you can go carrying a clipboard or ladder, people just assume you belong there if you act like you should be there. It renders you almost invisible

Morgan101, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I agree Camouflage is basically blending into your surrounding so you wear what achieves that and doesn't draw people's attention to you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    A lot depends on where you are, what the weather is and are you prepared. If your in a urban environment, camo may be a pair of khaki's, button up shirt and hikers. In the woods hunting, just a good camo pattern like Multicam or a commercial variety that works for you. If you working a OP/LP (Observation post/Listening post) watching a contested area, a ghillie suit may be the uniform of the day.

Personally, I wear Multicam pattern camo here in WV when I need camo, unless I'm hunting turkey or predators and then I wear a ghillie suit. If your interested, you can see how it works on there site (view gallery) and decide for yourself http://multicampattern.com/multicam_gallery_photos_video_instagram/ I also like the alpine pattern for winter snow work.

Dale

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  13. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have camo clothing and outer wear, but the only time I wear it is when I am hunting. I guess if I had to disappear in the woods I could, but 90% of the time I am in an urban/suburban environment. Casual clothes are the uniform of the day. Slacks/Jeans; polo shirts/golf shirts; any kind of footware. A suit and tie would probably stand out more than camo .

Innkeeper: You are so correct. Act like you belong there, and nobody will notice. I spent a number of years as a Sales Rep on the street knocking on doors. You cannot even imagine how many businesses I walked into and no one was there. I would think to myself " it's a good thing I'm not a thief." I could have walked out with the entire office.

14. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    My INCH bag is not camo because I thought if I had to go out on the road after SHTF I didn't want to look military. I do have a camo cover for it though in case I felt the need. You can get mil surplus camo covers for things if you want them.

When your camo is really working:

camo.jpg

Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My GHB is in camo, but I live in a very rural area and if I'm traveling by foot through the woods, the less people see me the better. Learn to wear what makes you the least noticed in the environment your in. In a busy urban area that's hostile to certain people, then dress and act like someone the locals WON'T really notice. Like Hoot conducting recon in a violent city market area (movie Blackhawk Down)

tumblr_myjbvlYUmE1s9334fo1_500.jpg

Or snow camo in a snow covered forest. untitled.png

Pay attention to the details. Being able to detect someone in either environment that's using camo, can also keep you healthy.

Dale

16. Aerindel

Aerindel Well-Known Member
      72/115

Blog Posts:
    I say it depends on the city. I would bet that any time of the year 20% of the people walking around my nearest city have some article of camo on them.

In this day and age I don't think there is really anything you could wear that would really stand out all that much.

TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  17. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes...........This is "FAR" more important then, if you should be wearing camo.

18. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm really happy with the multicam pattern used by the Army in Afghanistan. It works well in most situations. (OCP) it works much better than the old digital pattern that the military used to use (ACU) . Soldiers complained that in Afghanistan they looked like a blue guy standing on a green/brown mountain. The green/brown camos from the old days (VietNam era) still work well in pine forests (BDU) but the multicam as I stated seems to work well in most areas other than a sand desert.

209d71efc1ecb9f5058b9a7f4d285d41.jpeg

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Dalewick like this.
  19. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

And my camouflage is .....

My prep plans are for various scenarios because of my situation and my environment - geographic, political and et cetra.

If I must leave evacuate here in my fully loaded pickup truck, one of my camouflage methods is on the pax seat and in the back: a couple of black print/symbol on red medical waste plastic bags. It's not a guaranteed 100% deterrent but, so far, over the years, I've stopped at highway rest areas, gasoline stations and restaurant parking lots and it worked.

20. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Find some boxes with Radioactive stickers on them. You could leave them in the middle of Times Square, and nobody would touch them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I doubt if I'd ever have to bug out, but until last year, when I lived in the Phoenix area and had a cabin about a hundred miles north (near Payson), I had my car and my Xterra looking as plain and commuter-like as possible. No bumper-stickers or window decals of any kind, no gun rack visible, no fat tires, just a Thule-box on a stock luggage rack. If anything untoward happened, I'd want to blend in as best I could. I had my stuff, but you couldn't see it.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  22. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

Absolutely the best way. Hide in plain sight. Perfect!! :)