Do You Always Bring A First Aid Kit With You? If So, What Do You Bring?

Discussion in 'First Aid Kit' started by Toast, Jun 13, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Is bringing a first aid kit with you something you always bring? Or do you prefer to find your remedies in the wild? If you do bring a first aid kit, what do you bring with you?

I think it's important to bring all the necessary bandages and medication you might need. Along with clean drinking water, just in case. Disinfectant also seems like it would be a really good thing to bring. Of course, if you have anyone with you that has any special cases, like insulin or an inhaler could be life-saving.

James L Bryant and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think a medical kit is priority. We have many first aid kits for carrying including one in each vehicle plus a large wall mount medical kit & other medical supplies in the kitchen & in the bathroom.
    [​IMG]
    This is the basic medical kit I carry with me when trekking: Bandages, suture thread & needles, forceps, nail scissors, tweezers, eye wash glass, salt & Betadine, & some dried herbs. Older medical kits always had an eye wash glass, but this is an item that many people do not think of these days. Getting something in your eye can be extremely debilitating.
    Keith.

James L Bryant and OfTheEarth like this.
  3. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    ^ Wow dude, you have so much badass stuff to share. I know nothing about all of this and am absorbing so much, thank you kindly for all the stuff you've been sharing. I have 0 first aid around me but am pretty close to hospitals & stuff with insurance so I'm ok, but this is gold :)!

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    My first aid kit is a small bag that contains band aid, small bandage, plaster, cotton, rubber band, and some medicines that includes a small bottle of iodine for cleaning wounds. That kit is always with me when I travel from home even on short trips. In the office, I also have a first aid kit so I don't bring that portable kit when I go to work. Ever since I was young, I had learned to always bring medicines with me plus band-aid as well that's why they call me girl scout. When I became an adult, that habit persisted. Even when we go abroad, I have my "medicine cabinet" with me just in case there is a need for it, you'll never know.

James L Bryant and Keith H. like this.
  5. neoKit

neoKit New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    You must carry your first aid kit if you know that you will be out for a while. While you are out hiking or on a conservation mission, you are prone to injuries caused by sticks or even rocks. A basic first aid kit contains plasters which are of different shapes and sizes. You will need them if you get injured. You will also need pins, a razor blade, scissors, sterile eye dressings and a disinfectant. A first aid kit should also contain alcohol free cleansing wipes. I usually make sure that I have clean distilled water. I also do remember to carry painkillers such as paracetamol.

James L Bryant likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got a full first aid kit(as used by the Israeli army), I've got about 6 of these purchased from a surplus store. I carry one of these at all times.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Eric Graham

Eric Graham New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I do but I usually make my own. The things you find in a store bought first aid kid you never use and mine is usually a combined one with food or snacks as well as bandages, scissors, flashlights, flare gun. Think about what you want to bring and then just make one yourself, not only is it cheaper, it is more useful as well.

8. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I have anaphylaxic allergic reactions and asthma, so everywhere I go I am packing epinephrine pens, inhalers, benadryl, etc. I bought an awesome bag that holds my allergy kit and keep it with me at all times. It was fairly easy to start adding bandages, tape, tweezers, and other things, since I already have no choice BUT to carry a med emergency kit. I was just researching if there is a way to handle anaphylaxis once the epinephrine runs out, and can't find much hope. Since epinephrine pens are about 100 bucks and given out by prescription only (why, I will never know)... I only have four at the moment. The expire annually and I don't know how to stock up on the most important thing I need to have. This scares me. My biggest fear are my allergies so I include a lot of things specific to that. I have bought store-bought first aid kits. They were mostly stuffed with small band-aids, which I do use. I work with children and I am always ready to handle the little 'boo boos'. I wouldn't know how to do a tracheotomy but I can sure handle a skinned knee or paper cut. One thing I am shopping for now is a snake bit kit, but not without reason. My brother was bit by a copperhead on one of the local trails.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    When I go for a vacation or a hike in the woods or something similar, I bring a very small medical kit with me. Gloves, sterile gauzes, bandages, disinfectant, painkillers, diarrhea meds, a couple of needles (be careful of airports!) and that's about it. I'll add some small items like scissors, triangle bandages etc. based on where I'm going and how much space I have to use. The very basics that I mentioned in the beginning can easily be put into a small sealable plastic bag that fits in your pocket.

That being said, I should definitely make a more in depth kit to be kept in the car.

10. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes we do. We have complete med kits and related (e.g., hygiene supplies, CPR masks, et al.) in all vehicles. There are several in the house. There is one in my office/lab, as well as others in the building. There is one in my wife's classroom. And when out in the forest, one is packed along. The contents vary a bit, obviously, but they are always present.

Most importantly, we've both undergone training to use said. My wife also teaches First Aid and CPR with the American Red Cross.

11. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I carry a medium size first aid kit in my vehicle all of the time. My trauma kit goes whenever I'm going out shooting, cutting wood, camping or on a trip. Some times of the year it's below zero, others in the 80's or low 90's, so I don't like to keep my trauma kit in my vehicle all of the time.
    I have one separate kit just to control bleeding. Celox, Kwik Clot powder, sponges, gauze, pads, tourniquet, elastic bandages, tape and sanitary napkins (they make great pads for going over a large wound).

12. James L Bryant

James L Bryant New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes started out with a store bought one been adding on as needed. Have been wanting to take a wilderness first aid class but the money is tight.

Keith H. likes this.