Do You Carry An Eyewash Glass?

Discussion in 'First Aid and Medicine' started by Keith H., Jul 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have found in the past that getting something in your eye, even if it is only one eye, can be very debilitating. Does anyone else here carry an eyewash glass in their medical kit?
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

JeffHart and Mekada like this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I have a pair of eye drops bottles (collyrium) in the medkit. An irritated eye is something very difficult to cope with without looking for an instant relief. Got pink eye (conjunctivitis) twice several years ago and never in my life I have experienced a pain so crippling and excruciating like was having an irritated eye. It is really debilitating.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    I have a eyewash bulb that works welli do need a bottle of saline atm tho

4. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I believe that our vision is very important in helping us survive especially in the wilderness. I remember carrying with me a small bottle of saline eye drop when I used to go to the mountainous areas for medical outreach programs. My team and I would usually stay in the mountains for days, hiking during the day in order for us to reach our community destinations. I always bring an eyedrop with me together with my other emergency kits because my eyes easily become dry and irritated and I couldn't function well whenever my eyes are not in good condition.

5. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Drops are NOT an eyewash glass. Drops may help sooth a sore eye, but if an eye has foreign matter in it then it needs to be WASHED OUT.
    Keith.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    All of my FAK's have an eyewash cup and my water bottles have a medium mouth size that can double as a eyewash cup!

7. Doubletap45

Doubletap45 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    No I don't, but I will now, thanks for the post !

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Annbeat

Annbeat New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a great suggestion ! I hadn't thought of including an eye was but will now

Keith H. likes this.
  9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't carry anything specific.

10. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Honestly and sadly, I never thought about it. I guess, I thought I would rinse out my eye with a bottle of clean water.
    I better buy an eyewash glass. Always be prepared for sure.

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't carry it... I know it could be useful, but just in very specific situation. I prefer take with me some non-specific things that can be useful in a lot of situation. Eyewash glass is small and it probably wouldn't be a waste of space, but I feel being ready for every situation is more important that being ready for some very specific situations.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you can wash out your eye using most bottles of water, it works for most things, I think an eye glass is too specific and will in most cases never get used and just take up room in your pack which would be better used for a fire starter or a compass or something more often used than an eyeglass.

13. Heath L

Heath L New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hi. My best suggestion is if you don't have or can't afford an eyewash kit is to get a few bottles of water( sterilized by boiling) add ing one half tsp. Of salt and shaking for 5-10 minutes. Take a punch and put three to four holes in the cap. Then washout your eye pointing your head down and squeezing the bottle of solution upward into your eyes. Repeat for 10-15 minutes

14. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I always have at least one eyewash glass with me.

Eyewash glasses are very important (and they always are pretty effective!) and I don't hesitate to have them with me. I have been "saved" because of them at various times (especially during some mountain camps).

Keith H. likes this.
  15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Getting something in your eye is one of the most debilitating injuries you can get. You will not be able to do anything properly. If I were you I would re-think your way of thinking!!!
    Keith.

Xilkozuf likes this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    An eyewash glass is not an expensive item.
    Keith.

17. Heath L

Heath L New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Understood. But something's must be improvised. Just trying to inform on how to