Do You Drink Alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Joshmoy, Jul 9, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Alcoholic drinks are drinks that contain a substance known as ethanol in a substation quantity.

Alcohol is known for its several effects on the human brain and body organs. Alcohol alters judgment, sense of time and perception when taken too much.

While some people take alcohol solely for pleasure, others consume alcohol as a result of peer pressure.

Do you drink alcohol? If yes, why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I haven't drunk alcohol for 17 years.
    got better things to spend my money on.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I occasionally enjoy having a beer at home after a long days work, I will also occasionally have a rum & dry ginger. I find it relaxing. I carry rum with me in my pack in case I need it. Having had the experience of being operated on without any anesthetic, I think a rum would have helped me no end!
    Keith.

watcherchris likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Moderate (and ONLY moderate) intake of whiskey can have very positive health benefits -- especially for middle aged and older men. Wines protect the heart. This is due to the high levels of phenols and antioxidants within these drinks.

https://www.canadianpharmacyking.co...th-Benefits-of-Highland-Whiskeys-in-Scotland/

http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/alcohol.html

http://www.theluxuryspot.com/10-health-benefits-of-whiskey/

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/whiskey.html

watcherchris, coffee and Keith H. like this.
  5. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    To be quite honest here I have been a hardcore drinker most of my life. It started early due to my buddies influence. Can't say that it's brought me any problems but I have been honestly trying to cut down. Arriving from a day of work and drinking a cold beer is one thing. But what about when one or two have no effect at all? Moderation is always the key to everything.

Old Geezer likes this.
  6. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Nope.
    100% alcohol free.
    Saving money for more prepping goodies and firearms and fishing
    supplies and.....................FUN stuff.

Weedygarden and koolhandlinc like this.
  7. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    No. I 100% do not. Not a drop.

Firstly for religious reasons, secondly because it is by definition a hard drug and something that really should be avoided for your own sake and for the sake of society (as evidenced by the fact that it's now normalised to the point of becoming an excuse for people's actions, sometimes even admissible in court for crying out loud.)
    Yeah, not a thing I'm into or ever will be...Or really have been.

Weedygarden, jeager and koolhandlinc like this.
  8. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    Negative

9. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

Spot on right! It IS a hard drug.
    Both parents died of alcohol addiction.
    I nearly died FOUR TIMES from alcohol addiction.

I avoid it like the poison it is.
    Others might imbibed without problems but it will kill me.

I got into a hospital 24 hours after my last drink and my blood alcohol was
    still a .40 %.
    It had to be .50% 24 hours before.
    A .40 is a coma and anything greater is death.
    I'm sooooooooooo lucky.

Weedygarden likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I went the better part of my entire life without drinking. In my forties or early 50's I went to a competent physician (who had cured me of ulcers, Helicobacter Pylori infection the cause) and sought treatment for high cholesterol. He prescribed statin drugs, which nearly killed me. I am one of those who cannot take statins. Turned out that he too had this condition wherein statins were an issue. This physician wrote me an Rx for a drink a day, preferably a glass of red wine a day. Oops, red wine causes me to have migraines which, ironically, I take beta-blockers to suppress. Time revealed I could drink aged whiskey (/whisky) without side-effects so long as I kept below two drinks a day maximum. Three drinks = vertigo. The latter due to inner ear damage (too many hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo going off too close to my head). So, both my physician and I were restricted to a drink or two a day. This regimen along with fiber tablets have reduced my cholesterol and has bettered my cholesterol ratio (low density cholesterol is bad; high cholesterol is preferable). I will die of heart disease if nobody puts a round through my skull first -- it is a family tradition among the men. I quit smoking two decades ago. Theoretically I could live another decade, maybe even two. I don't care, I just do NOT wish to die in some ugly way. I'll shoot myself otherwise -- thank you God for guns! My great grandfather finished himself; I'll do the same if my mind starts to go. I am not suicidal, however death before dishonor. I'll not be a burden on others.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  11. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I very rarely drink a glass of wine. By very rarely I mean maybe once per month. It sometimes feels good to drink it when you are in a social environment but I have never been a heavy drinker or anything like that. Wine can be a good combination with certain food.

Even during my school years when my classmates were busy getting completely drunk, I never did. I just didn't find it appealing. What's the point? All that happens is you being sick and not remembering a thing that happened the next day. It isn't worth the money or the health.

12. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    No. I don't drink alcohol. However having said, that :) there is this sweet creamy drink called Amarula. It's made from fruits grown in South Africa and it's alcoholic content is about 17%. You can have it with crushed ice and milk and it tastes like heaven. I have this drink on special occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas.

13. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I see no problems in a few drinks a day. Helps to relax and unwind from a long day. It has other benefits like reduced cholesterol and blood pressure like you mentioned. The problem is that a few drinks are not having any effect on me. And when I drink too much I become depressed and aggressive due to all the bad things that I've been going through lately. If you drink when you're happy you will be happier. If you drink when you're sad you will be wrecked when you sober up. The last time I drank a bit more than a couple beers I hit my brother. He had been a little asshole like always and had it coming to him but if I hadn't been hitting the bottle I certainly would not have hit him. That was the major warning sign I should cut down or quit altogether.

Old Geezer likes this.
  14. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I have a naturally high metabolism so alcohol doesn't affect me as much as other people. That being said I do drink but it's mostly to wind down a bit and relieve tension after spending a long day at work. It's not for everyone but if used right and responsibly then it's not so bad. If anything else I've had worse experiences with caffeine honestly than alcohol. It's all about balance and knowing when to stop. I don't care to be drunk honestly- it's pretty stupid imo, I like to be aware regardless of my surroundings- but there's nothing wrong with relieving tension.

15. koolhandlinc

245/345

Blog Posts:
    I think it a hard drug as well. Look how many people have car wrecks. Often not remembering anything afterwards. Doing things they would have never done sober. Fighting with loved ones. Waking after sleeping it off only to do it again.

Every weekend I see on the news. Car wreck. Alcohol suspected to be involved. Only hard drugs result in people getting killed.

Some people can drink in moderation. Some take a drink and then suddenly they can't stop. They drink until they can't afford more, someone refuses to sell to them, the bottle runs empty.

Like scratching poison ivy. Once they scratch it a little. They can't stop scratching.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I drink alcohol but I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it. I can stop anytime I want. I usually drink wine and whisky, it feels good to sit down and drink with your friends from time to time. I've never been black out drunk before, so I guess I'm on the right track.

Weedygarden likes this.
  17. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I do, occasionally though. But when I do, I do it hard. Nope, I'm not addicted to it.
    From time to time, we all need alcohol in our bodies. It's not mandatory though.

18. koolhandlinc

245/345

Blog Posts:
    I am not against someone drinking. I am against drinking and driving. Don't care how much someone drinks either. Its up to you. No bigger here.

Weedygarden likes this.
  19. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Sobber for almost a year now... Trying to do a healthy living for a change.

Weedygarden and koolhandlinc like this.
  20. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I've never tasted it before. Since I learned of it effect at my early age, I never bother myself of tasting nor take it. And I don't wish to take in the future

Weedygarden likes this.
  21. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've known too many alcoholics in my lifetime, I never was that way inclined, more of a social drinker, drinking on ones own is boring, I can take or leave drinking and I left it 17 years ago.

Weedygarden likes this.
  22. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Indeed man. My metabolism has always been accelerated too so I needed to drink at least a couple drinks more than everyone else to have the same effects. That's when things start getting serious. A few drinks here and there a cigarette puff here and there and when you realized it you're a hardcore drinker and smoker. Moderation is the key like you said.

23. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't drink alcohol but I do like the taste of sweet red wine. Red wine is good for the heart so I drink a quarter of a glass when there is occasion sometimes. I'm not a fan though of bitter red wine.

Weedygarden likes this.
  24. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sometime after I crossed the half-century mark, my metabolism got up and walked away from me. I've not received a single post-card.

Having lost my metabolism to environs unknown seems not to have effected my inability to achieve intoxication save at blood ETOH levels that, were they coupled with the lighting of a pipe, would likely result in the spontaneous combustion of my corporeal existence. And you don't want that. Note that I do water-down barrel proof for my leathery esophagus. What I consider a mellow after-dinner imbibement, could I guess, send other men into fits of speaking in tongues, even catatonia. However, this is none of my concern. Wait ... be still children ... papaw hears a beckoning ...

Where is me tumbler?! Me kingdom for me uisge beatha!

25. iamawriter

iamawriter Well-Known Member
      88/115

Blog Posts:
    Not in the habit but occasionally I will raise a glass to celebrate and that glass will either be wine or beer. I did have to take wine for a while to raise my HDL level.

26. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha. Well i have to say im not a big fan of Whiskey. The taste of it just doesn't agree with me. I like almost every other drink but i will prefer a good Rum or even some Vodka over whiskey. Guess there is not much Irish blood in me :(

27. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I never drank alcohol. Just a few times, actually, but in occasion like particular celebrations in particular occasions, and very tiny quantities of it. I just don't like it, be it wine, beer or whatever else! I don't need a reason to why I don't like it, even if it might seems weird to not drink anything, it's just like that... that's what I am, sorry.

28. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have never drank alcohol. I have seen the effects of it already. I have alcoholic family members and I have seen way too many loved ones act like idiots and make extremely stupid decisions while intoxicated over and over and over again.

Weedygarden likes this.
  29. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I'm trying to follow the same path buddy. My grandfather was an alcoholic. He ruined most of his family life and most of my father's youth. My father drinks a bit more than he should but he's no alcoholic. I am trying hard to limit my drinking to one or two days a week and with friends and family only. Drinking alone makes me depressive and that part of the reason I have been trying to cut down.

Weedygarden likes this.
  30. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Do I take alcohol?

NO!
    I avoid it like the plague.

I have an allergy , in other words an addiction.
    3 rehabs and don't want no more.

Once I couldn't get into a rehab hospital.
    There were no beds available so I just quit.
    I was sooooooooooooooooo sick!
    24 hours later a hospital called and said they'd take me as they had
    a bed open.
    That guy died.

24 hours AFTER my last drink and my blood alcohol level was still
    a .40!
    A .40 should have meant an alcoholic coma at least.
    Anything over a .40 is imminent death.

I've been in 2 mental hospitals, misdiagnosed as being nuts.

Well.............maybe I am.
    I was recently, just last week, diagnosed as being mildly bi-polar.
    That could explain the drinking episodes.

Being a bit nuts might explain my high i.q.
    125 to 130 or a bit more depending upon what tests and who administers it.

Mesa is 140 and above.
    Average i.q. is 90 to 100.

I suspect everyone here is well above "normal" i.q.

Just the opposite is my fiance's 42 year old daughter.
    She is paranoid schizophrenic.
    Medicated she is kind of o.k.
    She isn't capable of living on her own so lives here with her mother in an
    apartment in the basement.
    Nice apartment with it's own kitchen.

She asked me to see what was wrong with her sink as it was stopped up.
    I plunged the thing and found it was full of CAT FOOD!

whooooooooooooo-boy.
    So I asked her to stop putting cat food in the sink.
    She replied, "that wasn't cat food. I quit doing that the last time I stopped
    up the sink.
    It was Lucky Charms.":eek:

Me slitting my wrists!:confused::confused::confused:

31. Jitendra Bharti

Jitendra Bharti Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    No , I don't take alcohol as it does not attract me. I don't see any benefit it gives us rather bringing our health down, family disturbed.

32. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Alcoholic drinks are not my kind of thing. When I decide to drink something alcoholic, it's only at some special moment (a dinner, a graduation party or a barbecue for example). Between what I prefer to drink are: wine (red or white) or beer.

33. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I enjoy red wine with dinner at times. Occasionally a Martini or Gin & Tonic is a good way to relax. Alcohol, in moderation, actually has a number of health benefits. Heavy drinking, however, is slow suicide.

34. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree on man. I have severely cut down my alcohol ingestion in the past few weeks but not due to physical health issues but more due psychological health issues. It had been making me sad, depressed and aggressive. While I have not quit altogether I will limit my intake to nights out with friends and girlfriend only. The thing with the drink is if you're good it makes you feel excellent but if you're feeling sad then you're in for some problems.

CivilDefense likes this.
  35. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    No because I had an alcoholic dad that made my life miserable growing up. I never touched the stuff because the last thing I wanted was to end up just like him. Alcohol also makes you have accidents, mistakes like unexpected pregnancy; crimes like rape, violence, and damage of property. There are literally a thousands reasons I can think of to not drink, and I've always stuck to that mentality. People are better off without it.

36. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I will never get myself to drink alcohol. Health benefits be damned.

I don't want to become like my relatives who lost their way simply because of alcohol.

37. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I drink occasionally and responsibly.

Light beer and vodka typically.

38. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Well, it is a valid logic. Alcohol in moderation can be great for your health and mind. But the only way to prevent getting addicted 100% is not drinking at all. So your route is the safest no doubts.

39. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I will cheerfully drink half a bottle of scotch whisky in a night and be able to wake up 5 am the next morning, same as every other day, clear as a bell, I don't drive the following day and I've never commited a crime when I've been drinking so I'm not hurting anyone.
    I can take it or leave it, I don't need it to take the edge off or relax...I drink it because I like it. Sorry if that burns you up.
    That's another thread that's created a couple of ignores o_O my list is getting soooo long now.

40. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I used to drink alcohol,but I paused and observed how it ruined the lives of the many people around me,and that's when I decided to stop completely.Its been almost a year now,and I haven't taken any alcohol thus far.

coffee likes this.
  41. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    i take alcohol socially but occasionally. this is because i have alot of negative effects of alcohol on people when taken in excess and as a habit. I do take a very limited volume of it when am around friends and want to feel careless a little.

I hate getting addicted and thats another big reason why i dont like taking alcohol.

42. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I used to take alcohol after a significant achievement especially when I get a windfall. During the brief period that I drunk, I saw the raw debauchery and criminality that accompanies drinking. I am now a dedicated Christian and I don't regre quitting alcohol.

43. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    That is a good reason not to take up the habit. Alcohol abuse is common in many societies. While the majority do not, it is still a lot of folks, and the only sure way to avoid it being a problem is to not drink. St. Augustine once wrote "To many, total abstinence is easier than perfect moderation."

44. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol is one of the worst kind of drugs out there. Our societies give it more stigma than weed. You see it in America and Eastern Asian countries especially. I have learned about the effects of alcohol, and they are pretty powerful. The withdrawal effects alone from getting drunk are enough to turn me away from getting drunk. I don't drink alcohol nor will I ever, at least not regularly. I have many goals in life that I can't reach if I'm wasted. Sure, it's okay to have alcohol in moderation, but I'm just fine only drinking water like I usually do.

45. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Anything in excess can kill you or harm you it doesn't matter what it is. Water, food, ect. Alcohol is no different. My father was an alcoholic and my grandmother was a chain smoker like none other. The difference is largely willpower. Each to their own and that's fine haha. I personally don't abstain from something (save for smoking, forget that noise) when I do it in moderation to begin with.

We at least know what alcohol does collectively as a society and there's lots of legislation about being responsible. I would have to argue that caffeine is just as bad since it's a strong stimulant and when taken on a hot day will kill you faster than alcohol poisoning. I actually medically died from drinking energy drinks prior to the legislation to moderate their caffeine content to equal 1 cup of coffee's average content. Back then people didn't think it was that much of an issue until heart complications starting to crop up in much younger people. Even now, caffeine related complications is still too far under reported and taken into consideration as it should. Also withdrawals cause horrible headaches as well.

46. Vladlob

Vladlob New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I also drink alcohol sometimes, more often on weekends. If you have used too much, then I help anti-pox pills that can be ordered online http://canadianpharmacy.online or at a nearby pharmacy.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  47. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I drink alcohol to make other people more interesting :D

CountryGuy and TMT Tactical like this.
  48. koolhandlinc

245/345

Blog Posts:
    I did but I don't. I have a family that's important to me. Really important. I will celebrate 2 years next month.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I drank for two months in 1976
    Lost NYE to alcohol
    Swore off the stuff NYD 1977
    Not touched the stuff since not planning to in the future!

I made a promise to myself and I am a man of my word.

koolhandlinc and TMT Tactical like this.
  50. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    No moral or religious objections to alcohol, just never enjoyed the taste. I may have one drink per year, at my birthday dinner.

watcherchris likes this.