Do You Drink Alcohol?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Joshmoy, Jul 9, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Alkhol iz grrrrreaaaaatttt cant git enufffffffffff Wait wqaitttt uh wait hmmmmm Wherz mi whissssssskeee? Wherd that dang boddddle go?! Sheeeeeeeeeeiiit fire I jist had it besidemehere. I'm fthirsty. Oh there it is.

I kin git it wait CRASH BAM KERPLUNK BUMP BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch

That duz it, Imma gonna drank better whissssssssskeeee frum now on

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Desert Girl

Desert Girl Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I go through an alarming amount of alcohol. Funny because I'm not a drinker, I'm a tincturer. There's just so much more herbs can do if you have a good grain alcohol to pull the alcohol-soluble components out. Though I will admit to a glass of wine now and then, I make a gallon of dandelion wine each year.

Radar, Weedygarden and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Its 5 o'clock somewhere. I love a _____________.
    I rarely ever drink, but once in a blue moon, I may have one of those (see the blank above).
    I could care less, if they took it off the planet, but I do not consider it a crime, or a ticket to hell.
    I even more rare will have a glass of red wine. My whole total consumption might total 3 or 4 drinks per year. I never have had a problem with this. But I will say this.....I despise a drunk....just do not get in my face....the smell on their breath makes me sick to my stomach. And could not stand the thought of a drunk touching me....yucky...double yucky. No condemnation meant to anyone who drink as long as you do not drive, or abuse your family, etc. If you do that, you should be, well you know what I am thinking.......

4. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    What is your recipe for dandelion wine ? Please, if you would share, thanks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Desert Girl

38/58

Blog Posts:
    2 quart jars of fresh picked dandelion flowers (no stem or green, don't worry about the green at the base of the flower)
    3 lbs white sugar
    4 oranges
    1 gallon water
    yeast and nutrient (I prefer CY17)

Instructions: Put your cleaned flowers in a gallon jar. Boil the gallon of water and pour over the flowers. Cover with a towel and let steep for anywhere from 1 to 2 days. Pour back into large pot and bring to a boil again (flowers and all). Add the peelings of the 4 oranges (no pith left on them) and boil for 10 minutes. Strain into your wine bucket (if you don't have one they're cheap and have a fitted lid with a hole on top to put your airlock). Stir in the sugar. When it cools, add the juice from the 4 oranges and your yeast and nutrient. I usually rack at about 6 months and again at the year mark. It just gets better with age though.

Enjoy!

lalakai and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I gave up drinking 19 years ago, there are a lot more interesting things to spend my money on than alcohol.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    What kind of nutrient are you talking about, what is CY17???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Do I drink Alcohol? Only on days that have a 'Y' in them. I like it. I have always liked it. I like the methods used to make it. I like almost every version be it hard spirits, beer, wine. Here is even a little scientific evidence as if I needed any: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjXoSckzbQ

Seriously, I understand the dangers. All things in moderation. I don't drink 1/100th of what I used to. For many years now I could count on one hand and have fingers left over how many drinks I have a year. But I do still enjoy it.

9. Desert Girl

38/58

Blog Posts:
    CY17 in the recipe is the strain of yeast I used. Making wine and beer has become a very popular hobby and there are several online stores that sell everything you need. For making wine this includes a large selection of yeast. The yeast has a strong determination on the final flavor so you need to choose one that will produce a wine to your liking (more or less alcohol and more or less dryness). When making dandelion wine you just need to choose a yeast that does well in white wines. CY17 is the strain that I like for this recipe. The nutrient is a cheap way to help the yeast get off to a good start. It's a food for your yeast that helps it get busy faster.

Weedygarden and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pure blackberry wine (NOT the stuff that starts with grapes) costs big bucks these days. I like blackberry and blueberry anything; jam, jelly, wine, ... whatever. My grandmother used to make at least 30 jars of blackberry jelly every year in addition to the other jellies and veggies she'd can. We'd pick those berries ourselves. Sometimes her sister would help us pick (watch out for snakes when picking!). She'd fill her basement and other families in our clan's root cellars. She was a WORKER; killed her at 94.

Blackberries are good in moonshine. Add sugar. Teeth are highly overrated. My teeth are what are commonly referred to as root canals.

When you put back ETOH, use 141 / 151 proof or above. Flavoring? Dump in the fruit you love. Never cut your high proof with anything but the best mountain water, that which jumps right out betwixt the boulders. If that water is so cold it makes children's healthy teeth hurt, good. Water's good when it's been filtered down through a couple of thousand feet of mountain granite.

2fe70ec4181dffd7499b5289fd24fd9d.jpeg

2fe70ec4181dffd7499b5289fd24fd9d.jpeg

May the Lord God protect and nourish the soul of Popcorn Sutton throughout all Eternity.

We came from the same hills, the same counties, the same people. There's a way of life that is rapidly disappearing. One's heart is heavy.

11. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    no alcohol for me, I have to many things I want to do. I don't want to do them hungover or buzzed.

12. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm with TMT Tactical. I do have an objection to stupid.

Not into drinking per se and have plenty of alcohol around here...hard stuff...the good stuff.

I just have no interest in sitting around drinking to be drinking.

I like wine...certain wines....particularly with good food..but at the same time do not want to sit long at the wine as the saying goes. Same with beer.

I used to have a beer with one of those fine Hebrew sandwiches from a local deli. That was good.

But I never intend to have a career in drinking.

As one member aptly stated...I have better things on which to spend my time and monies.

Strict rule here...

I don't operate machinery and drink..and definitely don't handle reloading or firearms and alcohol.

I can do stupid....stone cold sober....and I can be good at it.

I've known too many career drunks in my lifetime. Never want to become one of them.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

13. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    by Olde Geezer...

Now this is true..

You see lots of people on the side of the roads in the mountains putting water in to jugs where it just comes out of the rocks on the side of the mountains/roadside. It's good...cold too!!

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

1. CountryGuy
      Spring water is great in more brews...

CountryGuy, Mar 14, 2019
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I do. Mainly beer though occasional bourbon, scotch and whiskey. Also love Ciders and in the last year or so started fermenting my own and getting ready to do some mead from local honey. Also this spring I'm going to try doing a batch of dandelion wine. Anyone have a great recipe to share?

15. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    LOL. "I don't do cocaine, I just like the smell of it!" :D

16. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I drink beer almost daily when I get home. On occasion, I'll drink any hard alcohol besides gin.

17. Desert Girl

38/58

Blog Posts:
    I posted my recipe for dandelion wine earlier in this thread if you want to check it out. I make it every year.

18. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Ma'am

19. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I need a clear head for prepping and for driving, I also need a clear head for post SHTF, I don't intend to be caught out just because I've had a few beers(Newcastle Brown ale when I was drinking), have you seen the price of a pint in the pub these days? no wonder all the recycling boxes are full of tins and bottles on pick up day, I think the UK is a nation of alcoholics as well as obese people, drunk AND fat!!!!

20. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I’ve never had a drink. I see the devastation it causes and want nothing to do with it.

21. CountryGuy

280/345

Blog Posts:
    Well on the cost side that's where home brewing is a big save. I've only done hard ciders and meads so far. I keep thinking about beers but haven't taken the leap yet.

To me making alcohol is a fun skill set that is part science experiment part cooking experiment. After a SHTF I see it as a valuable skill in that types of alcohols will be important for medicinal uses like sterilization as well as making herbal tinctures and the such. Also there is using it as fuel and then the obvious use of drinking. Talking about something to barter, as you all know (and as Lonewolf pointed out about the overflowing bins) there is a huge demand and many survivors will be wanting to drown their issues. Not saying right or wrong but that makes it valuable. I could see bartering booze for ingredients, labor and other needed things. Not saying a week out but when things start to settle down at some point.

22. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I've had a drink though never finished it at a wedding toast or for a funeral.
    I personally hate the smell and taste of alcohol so no not a drinker.
    But still see the value of having a few bottles stocked.
    It can be traded, used as a disinfectant or as a means to defend yourself if you know what your doing.

23. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I would not use something that's 80 proof as a disinfectant. I think 40% alcohol isn't strong enough for that purpose. (unless that's all you had) I have many bottles of hydrogen peroxide at 3% for that reason.

For sterilization before a surgery. I would not use 40% on that either.

I never really thought getting someone drunk before an operation was a great idea because if the body needs to fight infection you have now added removing alcohol from their system as well. It seems this would make recovery more difficult.

Trading could be a good reason for keeping some but in reality. It might be better to store salt. Something really needed for life that could be very hard to come by.

24. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Good points

There's a good chance though that at some point alcohol is easier to come by then peroxide. Depending on the length of time that passes.
    At some point you have to use what you've got on hand.
    Not saying action hero up and pour some whiskey in your bullet wound and then take a drink before you pull the bullet out with your bear hands.

Want to be clear I never thought you should use it as a pain killer but if you have nothing else then it can be used to sterilize alcohol is classified as an intermediate level disinfectant.
    But your right it's no where near as good as legitimate disinfectants.

25. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    agreed and understood. I had at one point thought I would save some back just in case one day. It could really be a good trade for a true alcoholic. They can't resist it. Not sure my reasoning is the best. In fluid dynamic situations. Its hard to predict whats best. I have a very limited budget. Soooo weighing things out for me and my family. I decided against it. We are all like minded and we weigh out our path. I was just throwing out some of my thoughts that have lead me to where I am. I enjoy reading your thoughts and weighing the info when I am able.

Travis.s and TMT Tactical like this.
  26. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Sorry koolhandlinc
    Didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking you.
    After reading your comment and re reading my own I realize I came off unintentionally aggressive.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  27. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree the medicinal values are minimal as much as we might kid about it.

As a barter item it is close to the top of the list. When you read about societal collapses i.e. Bosnia, alcohol and tobacco were two of the top barter items. We have a pretty significant stash for just that purpose. Pick it up when it is on sale, and get cheap stuff. Nobody is going to get snooty about brands when the SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any use for it.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.
  29. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Intravenous Ethyl Alcohol Therapy?

50ml (a little over a shotglass) of 95% alcohol (190 proof) in 1 liter of IV fluid is ~5% solution. Infuse 200ml of the solution in 15-20 minutes time as the loading dose, then reduce the drip rate, monitor, and adjust according to their individual response and tolerance - as I understand the instructions in the document.

No I've never tried this, but given the choice of this or nothing for a painful SHTF surgical procedure, I might.

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Right next to me on the kitchen counter are three bottles of Goslings 151 proof dark rum. That should suffice as a disinfectant should you have nothing else. However rubbing alcohol at 70 percent or 90 percent is preferable and so too Hydrogen peroxide which I also keep in generous quantities.

Upstairs in my radio room I have six bottles of Bacardi's 151 rum....but learned that it is not made anymore and hence I have begun purchasing Goslings...and in like manner setting it aside. This is not a priority in lieu of other more important and urgent preps.

But these bottles are for emergencies ..not for drinking per se...

I have other brandies and such alcohols ..used mostly when I feel ill...flu, colds, and such....with the intention of help with getting the rest needed for the body to heal. In such an manner I approve of alcohol....but not as a career move.

That is about the few times I ever hit the hard liquior ...when I feel ill.

I am usually to busy to bother with a lot of drinking..even beer or ale.

One day, however, I would like to try a bottle of Meade. Never had it. Preferable with a good meal and good company.

But a career in drinking...definitely not for me . I've seen too much of what it does to marriages and families.

As I previously stated....I can do stupid stone cold sober..and don't need to be helping stupid along with alcohol.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Don't drink to the point where it will give you a hangover.

Don't drink until after supper. (Why would anyone do that anyway?! You actually wish to get sick?!)

I'm Southern. Even now, got my good-friend Mr. Sweet Iced Tea in a big glass sitting on my desk. My teeth are metal and the cells in my pancreas that make insulin have muscles.

When it all goes, so will I.

TMT Tactical and watcherchris like this.
  32. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    What if...you've used all of your stored pain meds and someone needs a bullet removed, or massive stitches, a bone set, etc.?
    Does being drunk really kill the pain? What is the purpose of drinking alcohol for injury or surgical procedure?
    Is it to cause stupor, passing out...?
    If I thought it would help, i may drink it.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't require a large amount to provide some analgesia, and is probably one of the better options for those that can't obtain prescription narcotics.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0304395988900644

From another study (attached):

It's not likely to provide much relief during a procedure but pre-op to make them more calm and less apprehensive, and post-op to let them rest more comfortably, it's going to be better than nothing.

In quantities that would make someone "pass out", then that's using it as an anesthetic and it has a lot of potential problems. The line between alcohol induced unconsciousness and respiratory depression to the point of death is somewhat slim, and I'm not aware of a reversal agent that could be used to stop someone that was crossing that line. A better SHTF anesthetic, for those without a prescription pad, might be an inhaled agent like ether. Faster-acting and the level of sedation can be more easily controlled just by not administering any more, and reversed by room air through normal breathing or by manual ventilation like a bag valve mask.

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical, Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  34. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Alcohol thins the blood and may inhibit clotting. Be very careful of using alcohol for pain management where bleeding is involved. I would say it is contraindicated.

https://www.drcherup.com/blog/alcohol-before-surgery/

TMT Tactical, GateCrasher and Radar like this.
  35. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I don’t, but have no issue with people who do I have no patience with drunks and not I am big on trusting alcoholics (or other addicts). Alcohol could be problematic with some of meds. I like Budweiser ProhibitionBrew beer which has no alcohol. It at least tastes like a real beer. If it weren’t for the meds I would probably have the odd drink, but not often. I grew up with too many hard drinkers to ever go that way

Radar likes this.
  36. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Nothing hardcore anymore, did for a long time and it was a great waste of money. My time and money could be spent on more important activities. These days, I will only drink a beer after a long day at work, but even that is extremely rare.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  37. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I didn't drink at all while my kiddo was growing up. Never had been much of a drinker. In my 50s I was hurting a lot and refused to take narcotic pain medicine. LOL, at the age of 52 I discovered the pleasures of beer. For about 8 years drank a lot and pretty often. When the pain went away my drinking slacked off and now I am back to not drinking again.

Alcoholism is an awful problem. I have seen it eat up people and their lives and the horrible effect that it has on the children and family of so many. Some of those people were family and I KNEW that I couldn't go there. I watched myself closely and would stop occasionally to make sure that I was still in control. I needed something for the pain and decided that if I was going to get hooked on something it was going to be something that I could get at any convenience store. I guess the gene for alcohol addiction passed me by. I can take it or leave it. For now, I don't drink at all. I never really liked the taste of it accept for cold draft book dark beer so I don't miss it.

Radar likes this.
  38. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I didn't drink at all as a kid. In my late twenties until my early forties, my only drugs were caffeine, nicotine, and marijuana. About three times a week, I'd have a joint after work like other folks would have a beer or a glass of wine. I stopped using weed around in the late 1980's and nicotine in 2002. Now, I'll have a beer a couple of times a week after working outside and maybe a glass of wine with Dawn if we're at home relaxing.

Of course, like many people my age, I tried most illicit drugs in my twenties, but was a little nervous about trying anything worse than pot. Now the only drug I'm still habituated to is caffeine. Do not take my morning coffee away from me!

TMT Tactical, Radar and GateCrasher like this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'd been partying a bit too much for three or four years, then my dad died. That was high school and I was headed to university = time to get my sh## together. I did.

I toss back a couple of whiskeys (neat) after supper / before bed (tonight, I've had three whiskies, now back to tea -- caffeine has little or zero effect on me readily going to sleep) . Drinking ETOH during the day makes me nauseated to even contemplate. That and being a Southern man, I love sweet iced tea. Coffee or two at work. I'm also an orange-juice freak; must have before heading out for work. I toss back a gallon of O.J. per week.

Treated myself to a 15 yr Islay Scotch single malt double barrelled (finished in sherry cask) this evening.

40. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Don' t drink, can't smoke anymore, so all that is left is evil thoughts about what to do when the SHTF. LOL

Sonofliberty likes this.
  41. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    What is ETOH?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    ETOH is Ethanol

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hey everybody listen, if you are running your own distillery (running moonshine) you gotta pour-off the heads else you'll be making wood alcohol (methanol) not ethanol. POUR OFF THE HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The heads are the first part of the run. If you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it! Moonshiners know their game. Takes time to learn how to run likker.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      A next door neighbor of ours, back in the day, had his brother die of methanol poisoning. My dad got our property from a friend of his who ran moonshine (and got 5 years in a federal pen for doing so). Listen people, don't run alcohol unless you know the game, else you are dead. 'Nuf said.

Old Geezer, Nov 17, 2022
      TMT Tactical likes this.
  44. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    continued from above

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    About the only alchohol that I've ever made was what we called "Home brew" You can ferment almst anything that has a high sugar content sooooo when I was a kid were made our own hooch. One time the word got out and the Moms were going to raid our hide out Sooooo we bottled it all up in quart size bottles and hid it in my playhouse. Well three days later those bottle started BLOWING UP!!! Hell I was sort of afraid to go in and try to get them out!!! I wasn't sure that one shake and I would have glass in me. Finally when my Mom was gone to the grocwry store I put on a bunch of winter clothes and a mask and hauled them out and into the woods. We popped the top on some of them. When they stopped spewing there wasn't a lot left in the bottle. Normally we didn't seal them up. The brewing bottles were glass 5 gallon water bottles and we topped them with condoms. When the condoms stopped blowing up we would THEN bottle it.

TMT Tactical likes this.