Do You Enjoy Shows On Survival?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Denis_P, Jul 4, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    For quite a while now, television stations such as the Discovery and National Geographic channels have had reality shows based around wilderness survival. You have shows such as Dual Survival, Survivorman, Man vs. Wild, Naked and Afraid, Alone in the Wild. You get the idea, there's a whole lot of them out there.

So the question is, have any of you watched these types of shows? And if so, do you have a particular favorite?

Ever since I was 12 years old when it first aired, Survivorman has been my absolute favorite. I have nothing but admiration for the skilled and charismatic host, Les Stroud. He was actually the one who sparked my interest and love of the wilderness. I also find it amazing that he is willing to go out into the wild alone without a camera crew, and still manage to not only survive but film everything himself. It's a testament to not only his skill but endurance as well.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have watched Naked and Afraid several times but I did not enjoy it. Maybe if the naked has been taken away then it would be better. I don't know why they included the nakedness, is it to project life like in the days of Adam and Eve? Anyway, Dual Survival is more logical to me and quite entertaining because of the improvisation they do in finding food and in preparing to eat that sometimes their cooking is so unusual. And unlike Alone in the Wilderness which is quite scary, this Dual Survival teaches us the essence and importance of teamwork.

3. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    It is my guilty pleasure :p I absolutely love these type of shows, even the more commercial types that aren't pure survival like The Survivor. I have watched probably every single season of The Survivor. It is a nice mix of drama, different games, and surviving on an island. The most interesting thing for me is to watch where they place the group. These locations are so stunning!

I also love The Survivorman like yourself (Les Stroud is a legend), and of course, the famous Bear Grylls. His series are my favorite... especially the Bear Grylls Survivor School and Worst Case Scenario. You can learn so much from him. He is also a bit crazy sometimes but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

4. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I like to watch them my self I have actually tryed to get on some of the shows I have been interviewed for surviver a few times that was back around the second or third episode I have sent my stuff in for alone only to get a message back that they already had there cast picked but out of all the shows the best in my opinion is Creek Stewart show that comes on the weather channel three fat guys in the woods

I can also tell you about a man that puts out videos he had past away now but I think you could still get his videos

The late Ron Hood from hoodswoods

His wife still runs a magazine I think

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No. I enjoy watching a good shtf movie for entertainment, but reality shows just don't do it for me. Besides, no TV out here in the forest.
    Keith.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think these days they focus more on either the drama or the controversial stuff like being naked in the jungle (?) or having to drink your own piss to survive. It doesn't really tell you much and most viewers won't likely ever get trapped in the middle of the jungle, and even then, they won't be able to apply the stuff in the show because there aren't any actual survival tips out there. It's all one big show. They eat real food when the cameras are off. They have tents. I just feel like those shows are completely bogus and not worth the time to watch them.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Survivorman is quite good but most of these reality type shows are just so you can watch people fail.
    I watch people like Ray Mears and I like the "mountain man" series but then they are living it not playing at it like these other shows are.

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't like the ones where they get a load of disparate people and shove them together on an island, they're so contrived. They're about causing conflict to boost ratings, not survival. The worst ever was probably Eden, please pardon my strength of feeling but it was utter shite.
    I'm also not a fan of the shows where a presenter is shown taking unnecessary risks, in a post SHTF situation you will not have the luxury of a rescue team and a medical evacuation before laying in a hospital bed for three months if you fracture a couple of vertebrae jumping off a cliff into the sea.
    Unfortunately when it comes to really informative programs that give in depth advice on survival subjects, there is a bit of a gap in the market. TV producers want ratings without really addressing the subject .

9. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I love survival shows, however, I don't watch many survival shows. The only survival show that I closely follow is "Man Vs. Wild." The show which features on Discovery Channel is presented by Bear Grills. On the show Bear Grills shows various survival skills. He takes a visitor into the wilderness, covers a certain distance and spends the night in the wild.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    do not, repeat do not take everything BG says as gospel truth, the man is a showman not a survivalist, he does things for show not for accuracy, like jumping off waterfalls, it is well know that when he lights a fire at night and PRETENDS to sleep in a cave or hollow in actual fact he and the film crew go back to the hotel and have a hot meal and a shower, so don't read too much into his shows, the guy is a broken leg or a snapped neck waiting to happen and is the last person I want near mean in SHTF.

11. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I do watch Naked and Afraid and Survivorman. Survivorman seems OK, but Naked and Afraid, I really think those people are crazy. They are not even being paid to be in those dangerous environments. Some of them have come up with serious illnesses from being on that show. I honestly don't think you could pay me enough. I also watch Bear Grylls that is an interesting show.

12. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Bear Grylls is actually very skilled at survival, infiltration, evasion etc and he really is ex SAS. He was invalided out as unfit for duty after an accident......you would have thought he'd have learned his lesson :(
    I blame it on the producers of the TV shows, always chasing the ratings.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    BG might be exSAS but I don't know that he did much, I believe his injury was sustained in a training accident.
    he glorifies in doing stupid things that would get an ordinary person killed. he seems to have an affinity with water, there isn't a single show without him getting soaking wet, must be some kind of addiction:rolleyes:

14. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm still in touch with a lot of guys who are ex forces, quite a few have an adrenalin addiction. A guy I know over in Gloucester has survived all kinds of tropical diseases and done stuff that probably would have killed most people. Now he's over 45 but still in the job but he's permanently back in the UK so he risks his life on bikes in order to get his adrenaline buzz.

15. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Although I don't watch them as often (at least not as often as I like), I really like this show theme because it's something that provides an easier connection to the audience and I think this is of fundamental importance because without audience no show is on the air for long. :)

16. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    He does take a lot of unnecessary risks with his own safety but he did look after those celebs that he took out into the wild. He does a lot for charity and is also involved in promoting scouting. What I don't like is the bad example he sets regarding personal risk. I blame the TV producers and directors for that though. It's irresponsible.

17. SouthernMama

SouthernMama Active Member
      33/58

Blog Posts:
    I have watched some of the survival shows but like some of the others have said, they are more about drama now. Naked and Afraid is just a little much for me but I know several people who love the show.

18. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy the real shows on survival. I am not a big fan of the shows that claim to be real and they're really not. I think it's interesting because you get to see the ideas these people have when they're life is danger.

19. omegaman

omegaman Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I kinda liked "The Colony" that was on History channel but other than that I dont watch TV because I am of the opinion it turns people into morons.