Do You Enjoy The Survival Genre Of Video Games?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Denis_P, Jul 3, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    So given that we're all gathered here on a forum based on survivalism, it's safe to assume that as members we are interested in the survivalist lifestyle. And since there are so many of you out there, I think I could also assume that some of you might be gamers!

Recently the survival genre of video games has become increasingly popular with games such as ARK: Survival Evolved, Rust, and 7 Days to Die featuring gameplay mechanics based around surviving harsh environments. And even kid-friendly titles like Minecraft and Terraria have been implementing survival themes.

So my question is, have you played any of these games? And if so, which has been your favorite so far?

I'd have to say my favorite has been 7 Days to Die. Yes, it delves into survival horror territory given the zombies and all that, but I found the crafting and foraging mechanics to be some of the best in the genre. You have to take it seriously given that temperature, hunger, and hydration are all factors that you have to consider. And it is very realistic given that, for example, if you drink stagnant water that hasn't been boiled you are almost guaranteed to become sick and lose stamina. It's extremely huge as well with hundreds - - if not thousands - - of items and crafting ingredients, and it's only getting bigger with every update. I would highly recommend it for anyone with the means of playing.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i don't play games, to me survival is a serious business.

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Those games sound great. I've seen them before but I never tried them because I was more focused on either adventure or puzzle games. I'm currently playing Firewatch, and I think most trekkers here would be able to relate. It's about walking into the wilderness with nothing but a radio communicator to talk to someone on the other side of the area. Nobody else around you and you really feel like you are the lone person there. The atmosphere and the scenery would take you in, and the story will keep you around.

Radar and The Innkeeper like this.
  4. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I played survival games on my mobile phone. Its not that good. I've nevwr been to actual survival situation but with games its insane. You will die 24 hours, you need so much requirements to build a fire. Animals are too aggressive and will attack to kill you. The inly goodbthing about survival games is the are an unlimited supply of fruits in your area.

5. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I enjoy it, but not in the same way as real life survival would. Most survival games make survival look easier, and that the only challenge is finding the right ingredients to craft certain things. I enjoy playing them with friends, as a game and nothing more. When it comes to actual survival, I think survival games are far behind as it doesn't exactly simulate the art of survival that well, it's just fun in its own way.

6. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Simple answer, no.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I think surviving in a video game is pretty interesting as well. I recently started a game where you need to survive on a forgotten island all by yourself. You need to build a shelter, maintain a fire, find food, water and craft yourself some tools. It's pretty interesting.

8. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I personally really enjoy survival games. I think they are one best types games, especially if there's a lot of stuff to do in the game other than just try to get food and water. I like the challenge of survival games as well because I think it makes the game more exciting.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I rest my case.

10. EarlyMarksman

EarlyMarksman Master Survivalist
      262/345

Blog Posts:
    I seriously enjoy a lot of post-apocalyptic games like Fallout 4 where it is set 210 years after a nuclear war where most of the world is irradiated and hardly any water is drinkable.
    The Last of Us is another great title about two characters, Joel and Ellie, surviving in a world where people have been infected with a strain of cordecyps.
    The Forest is a wilderness survival game where your plane crashes on a remote island inhabited by a tribe of cannibals.
    I was a hardcore gamer for about 15 years, so you can see I've wasted a lot of my time on this lol.

Radar, The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    While I understand the need for recreation I can't help feeling that my time is better spent doing something that will benefit me. My days are pretty full but there is a lot of variety in my work. Always having something new to learn, always trying to pick up new skills keeps life interesting and fun.
    I don't mean to criticise others for wasting their time because it's theirs to waste if they want to but I fail to see the point in most of those games, my time is too precious to me to waste it.

Radar, The Innkeeper and lonewolf like this.
  12. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    No time for video games. Not opposed to them but seem huge time wasters to me. Mind you everyone, perhaps I should say almost every one has some form of escapism.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.