Do You Ever Keep A Stash Of Paper/coin Money For Emergencies?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by dero56, Jun 30, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. dero56

dero56 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone ever kept a stash of cash+coins for emergencies just in case you can't find a working ATM?

I know I used to have a stash of $5 bills for emergencies and about $20 in coins but used that up when I needed the extra funds and haven't really kept a stash of more than $20 for emergencies.

Also I used to hide a $20 bill in my wallet for emergencies but that spot has been empty for a while sadly.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is not to brag but I have lots of extra money thar is scattered in our home and also in the car. When the credit card wouldn't work then I can pay with cash. Last Christmas when I collected the scattered money in the house, the total amounted to more than $1,000. Yeah, that's a lot that I could have used for shopping for gifts. It has been my habit to save money in the nook and cranny that I could find at home. And I continue to do so because it's good.

3. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I started saving a stash of coins in my cabinet and in my office table drawer but not yet bills. It helped a lot during emergency because I encountered one time when I needed coins and also when I cannot withdraw to an atm because the nearby atm was offline that I have no money in my wallet to go to the farther atm machine location.

4. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Put egges in different baskets has always been my motto. I don't keep all of my money in one place, I spread it out. I keep my money on my debit cards, bank accounts, in my locker at home as well as in my pocket. I keep paper money and coins in my pocket, however, I don't keep big amount of money with myself. There are times when card payment is not available, for example you are buying something from road side stall and your card is not acepted there, you need cash.

5. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I try to save some small amounts of money just in case of emergency. Not very small amount since that would be useless, and not big amounts since that could be a bit of a problem... let's say medium amoiunts of money, just enough for a couple of days if they are my only source.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    just recently ATM's are closing down , you have to go a long way to find one in my rural area, bank branches are closing down and when they do the ATM goes with them, so keeping some paper money and coins on hand is just common sense.

7. WarHorse52

WarHorse52 Expert Member
      110/115

Blog Posts:
    Article that was posted over the last 3 weeks on shtf had stated that all of the mobile pay appts are cutting into bank profits and they are shutting down branches and atms. In addition, there are several businesses on the West coast that are going 100% away from cash. Keep in mind the banks have to mandatory report anything over 9K in cash to IRS. Also, they now have the option to report you if you draw out over 5K and anything over 3K they are told to ask why you need it. Keep cash at home!!! Too many examples of bank confiscation all over the world. History will repeat itself.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Should there be any among you who stand in trepidation of the task of guarding a pooling of wealth on your part, fear not for I am at your service. My rare humility and tenacious grasp on probity in all matters uniquely qualifies me to be your person of the hour. Do contact me. I will myself collect your treasure and guard it with my life. This in a place of unparalleled secrecy. You can trust me. I promise.

9f34d01b15f1d1673010e4dde7b3cfe9.jpeg

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have several thousand dollars in small bills and also several thousand dollar coins. I also have a lot of silver in US silver dollars. I haven't spent change in several decades. I fill up a levi pants legs with coins then sew it shut. I also have a 5 gallon bucket of pennies. I take my dollar bills and just roll them up. A dollar isn't worth much anymore so I treat it like change.

Any time my bank account gets very high I pull some out in small bills and dollar coins. Interest rates are so low that I am probably doing better with the value of the coins than I could in the banks. If things go the way I expect there will be a point where cash will be scarce and still have value. When the banks close all you will have is what you have in cash.

I also have a rather large investment in weapons, ammunition, reloading equipment, old tools that don't need power and other trade items. When the internet and computers become only a memory my books will have a lot of value.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a stash of paper and coins- mostly its in case of emergency, its also for when SHTF and the power is down so cards wont work, even cash wont be accepted for long but it may give me an edge until all the stores have been emptied and there is no more.

11. WarHorse52

WarHorse52 Expert Member
      110/115

Blog Posts:
    Silver is at all time low currently! I would recommend keeping cash and a roll of silver coins in Get Home Bags and in your house just in case of emergencies. I believe if cash is no good, the silver should do the trick. God Bless

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I Lucked out and in 1999 I invested pretty heavily in Silver. I paid 8 Dollars apiece for American Silver Eagle dollars. The silver value of them is at 16 now but the value of the coins is over 25 dollars. I wish that they would come out with a half and quarter oz coin in silver. I even have some copper bullion coins. I think that coins are going to hold value longer than paper.

13. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Having some old "scrap" silver coins about is always a good idea (in the USA, coins minted 1964 and before were 90% silver). Silver will always hold its value, has for millennia. Silver is required for the chemical industries and is the best conductor of electricity at room temperature. Silver is used in top-end water-purification devices due to its anti-bacterial properties.

During WWII, unbelievably powerful centrifuges were needed to obtain heavy uranium for the manufacture of nuclear bombs. Copper wiring couldn't cut it in the realm of conducting electricity. Therefore huge quantities of silver coins were melted down to make wires for these centrifuges. To this day, it is really not known how many coins of which year or striking mint are out there -- too many went into the cauldrons.

Everybody has some of these coins in a sock drawer. They are readily recognizable. And even in the most inaccessible/impoverished places on Earth, the spot prices of precious metals can be found. Post-SHTF, silver coinage will be a ready go-to as barter/currency. And as everybody sez, so too will be bullets and beans.

Post-SHTF, whip out a gold coin and you will instantly turn into a target, a siren screaming, "Come rob me!" Gold will be traded, that's for sure, however you WILL have to have some lead with you as well, if you know'whut'I'mean. Lead and some friends covering your six-o'clock. Got gold? Grow eyes in the back of your head.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    post SHTF if I cant eat it or I cant wear it then its no good to me.

15. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Some good comments here....

But...................................................

I ain't telling!!!! Too many Ishmaelites out there.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer....

If I remember correctly from electronics classes....silver on the scale of metals is the numero uno best conductor of electricity followed by gold and then copper.

Thought the same thing when they built an atom smasher facility here across and in the next town. How much silver did they use to do this??

But...................

They did not get the 1925 and 1926 Peace Dollars in my coin pocked of my Levis. Also in there is a single Engelhard Prospector 1 oz. .999 pure silver coin.

I suspect that silver is going to go up and up and up in the future.

I was a bit shocked to find out how much sliver goes into one of these tomahawk missiles...or several of our guided munitions.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite.

17. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Olde Geezer,

My Mother is German from Frankfurt, Germany. My Father tells me that before he met my mother most GI's were trading for something or anything they could on the black market. The money was no good post war and economic stability was not yet organized or the new currency in Germany. People were bartering anything they could on the black market.

The regular marketplace did not work well nor have adequate supplies or stocks....but the black market filled until economic stability could be reorganized.

Out of stories like these ....came the understanding that people are not stupid. They will eventually and always get a marketplace going when the official market does not work. People will find a way to get things done.

Until then you use whatever you can as currency for barter. Whatever can be used most often and successfully will function and become recognized as a money....become current as money.

My dad told me that most of the GI's had a cigar box with goodies and jewelry which they were trading on the black market.

My Dad also told me that he got a refrigerator and a power converter for my Mom's parents in their apartment. Then helped keep them in certain meats..canned..and also coffee..they were rich compared to a lot of Germans on that block.

American cigarettes were good as cash.

I have my Dad's Mauser Rifle...it is an WW2 German Mauser which has been sporterized by a German Gunsmith. Converted to 30,06 caliber ...fitted with double set triggers and glass. Sporting stock...hand checkered.

This work cost my Dad....$20,00 American and two cartons of Luckys back then. I often wondered how far that gunsmith went with those two cartons of Luckys. They had to be pure gold to him...easily converted/marketable on the black market.

And here we are also talking about a gunsmith with skills to be bartered on the black market.
    Skills too are or can be as good as money under certain conditions.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

18. WarHorse52

WarHorse52 Expert Member
      110/115

Blog Posts:
    Something to add currently silver is at about $15 per one ounce on silver rounds. (Colorado Gold). I was invited to a private conference by my asset attorney and a Swiss Investment Banker was presenting and he stated it costs about 14.20 to make one ounce of silver! This means we should be close to the bottom on silver.

I believe in a bad scenario Silver has a lot more potential to be a greater currency than Gold due to its lower price.

19. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in SHTF you cant eat gold or silver and I cant see anyone giving up their food for gold or silver, not in their right mind anyway.

20. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I do not store precious metals, even before the breakdown of law and order they attract the wrong sort of attention. I know of several incidents where gold and silver have been stolen in violent robberies, one resulting in an elderly man being stabbed to death in front of his wife.
    Discussing this kind of thing in an open forum could be unwise as non of us are as anonymous as we thing we are on the Internet....

lonewolf likes this.
  21. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

Again, as I posted in another thread on gold and silver, money to work well over the long run...must have the ability to hold it's value...to store value. Monies or currency which the government can get unlimited access first.. will not long function as a storehouse of value unless the government can tax away from the private individual.

Unlimited money access by government does not mean gold and silver and or copper coinage..but cheep counterfeit token coinage. ..and or paper notes or digital monies...which will lose privacy.
    They have gotten so desperate here in America that they are now counterfeiting the copper pennies with a zinc slug in side since some 1982 or so. Just take a knife and scrape a penny after some 1982 and see the zince slug in side...it is a zinc slug plated with a copper coating...a counterfeit token coin.

This is the primary function of an income tax...to take monies out of circulation from the private sector and thus cede control of the economy to government largess. It is and cannot be to pay for government when the government can gain access to all the monies it needs....unlimited.

As long as the government largess does not run too amok ...the economy can function for a long time without most catching on.
    But when it runs amok and the productive sector of the economy falters...inflation takes place eating up the savings and purchasing potential of the ordinary individual. This is what is happening in Venezuela and happened in so many nations in the 20th century. Prices begin to rise rapidly across the economy. Shortages begin.

Whenever government can access money or currency unlimited...the ordinary citizen becomes an economic competitor... not a citizen. The ordinary citizen becomes a "Subject"

This is the dirty little secret which our government never wants our people to know or ever be able to think or realize for ourselves. Our government wants us to become "Subects" after the English or Continental models...not Americans.

And counterfeiting the money supply with fiat paper monies and token coinage is one way to do it historically.

And this is why I know our phony government will never go back to gold and silver moneys ...they will lose power and control over the "Herd."

Remember what I keep trying to say to the members here...particularly the American Members.

As an American ...you cannot be trusted with a gun and ammunition.

You cannot be trusted with real knowledge and information without it being heavily censored..ala...twitter, google, facebook, or even television, radio, news media...even public education...all of these being used/misused to properly, socially, and economically "Herd" people.

You cannot be trusted with real monies or your own monies hard earned by honest labors.

If this is true ..what I am stating here....what makes you ignorant enough to believe you will ever be trusted with a vote???

Thinking is difficult and many of us manage to avoid it for a lifetime..and often substituting instead Amusements.

A.....Without

Muse.....Thinking.

Amuse/Amusements

Something fed to us to prevent thinking.

My Non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris

22. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    This is also a descriptor of what happens under paper money systems. What are you thinking here???

As long as people think or believe a thing holds value...it will be desired even by those wishing to do violence to get it.

This is called by some of us....."Two legged wildlife."

History is replete with this and often done by governments themselves to get peoples stuff.

This too has a name....and it is called .... "Democide."

Death by ones own government...death by democracy..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democide

Watch this and try to remember if this ever broke the news media looking out for us..

from this wiki article on Democide...

Do you think for one minute that governments which commit democide on their people are not also stealing their stuff??? Including these peoples gold and silver???

I'd like to hear this described on the Famous Fox News....they do not dare. Hannity too!!!

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris