Do you have a food reserve?

Discussion in 'Food Storage - Canning/Freezing/Butchering/Prep' started by Sealpikachu, May 24, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Some people have canned and preserved food stashed away in case of an emergency. Do you? What type of food would be best to keep? It will be flood season soon where I live and sometimes it gets so bad you can't leave your house. We also have really hot and humid weather so lots of food that would regularly keep spoils pretty fast.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    you cant call yourself a prepper if you haven't got a food stash.

ukpreppergurl likes this.
  3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Canned goods would be great to store up for emergency situations. They last several years and you can buy them up, then begin turning them over with your every day food supply so that everything stays relatively fresh. You can also buy huge bags of dry rice or beans at Sam's club. These can be divided up and sealed with the foodsaver and will last a very long time. I have learned that as long as you have a good seal, the bugs won't get in there. I store my everyday supply of beans and rice in mason jars on the pantry shelf. I bought some gaskets off Amazon, that fit the wide mouth lids. They are great. I was losing food until I got those and now they stay fresh. Dry milk also and may some whole oats, prepared the same way. I could live a long time on that menu.

danil54grl likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Dry foods are always a good stand-by & we are never without them. Canned foods are good, but like all stored foods you need to store items that you actually use so you can rotate them. Vacola preserves are good & of course you only preserve what you like to eat, or, what grows best in your garden. Many vegetables & fruit can be dried, such as tomatoes, pumpkin, chard, potatoes, corn, beans, apple, mango, pear, banana, etc etc.
    If you do not grow your own, then simply keep an eye out for bargains at the local veggie shop or supermarket & dry your own. Keep in a dry place in screw top glass storage jars or in paper bags.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    We use our wood fired stove & our wood fired heater for drying produce.

danil54grl likes this.
  5. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Those are all super good ideas! I remembered about this because i recently read The Road and the father and son basically survive on canned food all book long. They even find some reserves that are years old and the food seems just fine. It got me wondering how long canned food actually lasts.

6. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Canned food will last indefinitely if stored somewhere cool and dry. I regularly eat canned food that is out of date - although I do rotate my stocks, sometimes there are cans lurking in dark places that have slipped through my rotation rotas! :oops:

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'll say it again: "eat what you store, store what you eat" and "rotate, rotate, rotate".
    put the new cans at the back of your storage, bring the older ones forward, eat them first.
    check the cans, if they are dented or bulging, don't buy them, if you find you have some when you get them home, open these first, check the contents, if ok use these first.

Keith H. likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Totally agree with lonewolf, this is the way to go, this is what we do.
    Keith.

9. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    They last that long!? My parents are difinitely really overreactive then. They won't keep canned food past its expiration date. Is there any way of knowing how safe it is once its passed?

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you rotate canned food it really shouldn't go past their expiry date, which in most cases is years ahead.
    if you open an expired can use your senses, look at it does it look okay, smell it does it smell okay, taste a little bit does it taste okay? if it passes all these tests then its probably fine to it, if at any time in this process it dosent seem okay, then bin it.

11. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes we are well stocked growin more. Vacume sealed food iteams keep well please learn how to can veggies and garden iteams beans carrots peas beets all you grow can be canned ive done this all my life canned meat keeps well when done right

danil54grl likes this.
  12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes we are well stocked and growing more

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes we are well stockedand growing more

14. ukpreppergurl

ukpreppergurl Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    If the can is blown at the ends then throw it out as the contents have gone bad. If the can isn't blown then the food is fine to eat - there may be a slight deterioration in the quality of the contents - taste wise - but in an emergency situation that wouldn't really be a problem; plus, I have plenty of herbs, spices and condiments to add some flavour.

15. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you! I will definitely try this and be on e lookout. I think I will start my own preserve once I am done with college. Can't really keep stuff in a dorm room right now but hopefully in a few years.

ukpreppergurl likes this.
  16. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I usually don't keep preserved food because the zone I come from is in the tropics where weather changes are not drastic. However, there are adverse climatic conditions like El Nino where it would be prudent to stock up on dried vegetables due to scarcity during some of these seasons. Some people stock up on dried meat called nyirnyir to eat with stiff porridge. But glucose is a very good choice as a food to stock.

17. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Yes. It is wise to always have extra on hand. Beans and rice are easy to purchase and keep in reserve for lean times (whatever the cause). In addition to preserved food, don't forget practical products such as toilet paper, basic first aid items and extra medicine if you are unable to get into town for a period of time.

18. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    I agree with most other posters that push the rotation policy. Canned food will store for a very long time, but it does expire, no matter what anyone here says. I have gotten a hold of expired cans in the depths of my pantry that were long forgotten about and when I opened them it was easy to see that they were no longer good. However, the can was two or three years past the printed expiration date. You should technically never have food this old if you are rotating. I also have a few vacuum containers that I have sealed that have large amounts of rice, lentils, pintos, and the like. These goods last for an insanely long time anyway, but I vacuum seal them to extend their shelf-life and keep out pantry pests.

19. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    As I had posted in another thread, our cupboard is a food cabinet that always have canned goods and other foods that can be stored for long. We have corned beef, spam, sausage, pork and beans, milk, and some other preserved foods like sardines. That's aside from the canned juices and other dish ingredients like pasta and noodles. I hope it wouldn't happen but in the event of a calamity where there would be food shortage, we can comfortably live for one week at least with the stock of food in our cupboard.

We have a method for our food cabinet - first in, first out so the stock will not expire. There's also an inventory before going to the supermarket, we check the amount of the stock. The canned goods should be at least 4 pieces so if we had used only 1 corned beef then we buy 1 can for the inventory. By the way, we also have a stock of 2 cans of biscuits (the big cans) which we also eat for snacks.

20. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    We have a huge freezer full of food, but that would not really get us too far if the power went out. A generator would work for awhile, until the gas ran out. My parents have a good stash. I go to Sams Club and buy cases of all kinds of food for them. We stockpile it under the beds. We use it for everyday and replace it as it goes down. They also have lots and lots of rice and beans, divided into Ziploc bags, and stored in very large stainless steel stock pots. We have not done this, but their house is right up the road. I do preserve foods in mason jars. A little of this and that, never a huge amount. Though we have made lots and lots of pickles. I understand that chicken can be processed in mason jars and that it is really delicious that way. I want to try this but I need a larger pressure cooker.

21. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Since the power often goes out in my area whenever thunderstorms hit, I am conscious of not relying on my refrigerator or freezer when storing food. I try to store items and foods that do not require electricity.

cluckeyo likes this.
  22. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to meat there is the process of brining where you cut the meat into slabs and immerse it in a mixture of pickled salt with a small proportion of sugar, this is done mainly for pork. Pack the meat into sterilized jars and store in a warm place for around a month's duration after which time you can store the meat in plastic or moisture paper and keep in a cool place and then you would have cured meat. For beef and other meat, there is a process where you may smoke the meat to preserve it.