Do you have a gas mask?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Damorale, Jun 2, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I was reading a survival blog and I noticed that it had an ad banner for a high tech gas mask that "guarantees" protection against nuclear, chemical, biological. It never crossed my mind to have a gas mask but now I'm wondering if it's something I should have just in case. Does anyone else have one? What are your thoughts?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes and hazmat suits allso

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Depends where you live.
    Most anywhere in the northern hemisphere would be good to have one or two handy and a few disposable hazmat suits!
    But they will only be for short term use, as chemical agents are not persistant and decay in sunlight and just the environment.
    Biological dies with the host and nuclear fallout has a halflife of just approx. 7 hours!

So once the rains have been, the sun has shone somewhat and time has passed most of the danger will have also passed!

Unless you are down south of the equator that is!
    Then in most cases population densities are not enough for chemical or biological weapons to be effective and nothing much is worth a nuke!

4. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    That's actually quite interesting and something I didn't know. I just looked up about the leftover radiation from nuclear fallout because I was under the very incorrect assumption that it lingered for a very long time, in large doses, and I didn't know whether you were uninformed or me. Turns out it's me! You just hear a lot of scare mongering from places that say it lasts for years and even if you survived a nuclear attack, living anywhere near to one would cause you to get cancer and die really quickly.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    depends where the fallout goes, main wind direction is AWAY from my location. I have a few masks but there mostly for disease prevention than nuclear.

6. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Fallout has an approximate 7 hour half-life!
    But some of the components in the fallout have half-lives of thousands of years but those components are miniscule!
    So if the fallout takes 14 hours to reach you it has already reduced its radiation output by 75%

So any fallout that gets as far south as I am will be very dispersed and depleted! only real problem that might occur is if I injest or inhale it
    in the first few years!

After a month or so it will be ok to go outside and do stuff but if you are young or youngish avoidance wearing a dust mask and cleaning any foods of fallout is advised
    Though not doing so will no longer make you sick in the short term, though inhaling and injesting may pose long term problems! if you live that long.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I had a Micky Mouse gas mask when I was a child. These were made especially for children in WW2 so the look of the mask would not scare them :) I would not bother getting a gas mask where we are living now, but I think that if you are in town or city it may be a good idea. Even a simple incident like a truck carrying chemicals tipping over can cause a major survival situation in populated areas. It has happened before.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

Damorale likes this.
  8. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    That is fascinating! I never knew they did that. Is that a picture of yours - do you still own it?

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No Damorale, I no longer have it. I kept it in my toy trunk as a child in England. I live in Australia now & all that stuff has gone sadly, along with our 18th century family home :(
    Keith.

10. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that @Keith H. :( Hopefully you moved to Australia for happy reasons though?

There are a few things from my childhood that I wish I still owned now, especially things which I literally threw away which would possibly even be worth something to a collector these days. I collected a lot of things when I was younger; I had a few different collections that were quite well rounded and well cared for but as a teenager I was ashamed of them and gave/threw them away without a second thought. Hindsight!

Keith H. likes this.
  11. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I live in a very isolated location. I live a few miles away from a small town. Some people would say I live in the middle of no where. So I do not personally have a gas mask. It may be something I should look into purchasing. I might do some research. That was not really anything I thought about before. Then again, maybe my parents have some gas masks for my family. I haven't really thought about it before. But it is something I will definitely discuss with my family.