Do You Have A Helmet.....???

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Sourdough, Jun 20, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    So do you use your helmet when training for SHTF..........???
    Does it have a face shield system........???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a USMC helmet, that I like, and it fits perfect. I just wish I could "Snap" on a face shield.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No, I find that a helmet & face shield reduce my peripheral vision, & this is not good!!!
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I mostly use it for night travel in the thick woods. I have goggles I wear for night travel. But it would be nice to be able to snap on a face shield (thinking pandemic).

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Do glasses and a hard hat count?

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning IBME,

Yes and yes. A helmet is a main item of my PPE - Personal Protection Equipment. Ref pandemics, the industry thoughts are to transition to HAZMAT suits with incorporated helmet. Note that without a sponsor, ... or a gold mine up Alaska way ... they are expensive. I do carry P100 face masks, an upgrade to the basic N95 mask.

It's worth a glance at MSA: MSAsafety,com Their pulp catalog has an email, snail mail and phone number for consultation on helmet customization.

In recent years I've been transiting from thought about ballistic protection and more focused now to protection against basic head injuries with a helmet equipped with a face shield AND a mosquito net. Helmet lights are a must.

A major reason I left the realm of ballistic helmets related to my volunteer work with VA doing claims. The neck injuries are in the stratosphere ! The modern ballistic helmet protects the cranium and neglects the neck. The results are in.

Admittedly, I once wished I had a deep sea diver's bubble helmet covering down toward the shoulders. The aluminum housing on an electrical transformer "exploded" and I was close to the burst radius.

My 2 major headaches re helmets are protecting against fire and mosquitoes. I'm themed for evacuations.

MSA and some other companies sell various helmet liners eg for cold weather protection, for fire protection, for ballistic (evaluate very carefully), certain chemicals, etc. I'm not recommending MSA but just mentioning I've bought from them over the years. There are other quality competitors I've also used.

Much of helmets and their customization for the individual involves trade-offs. "Whatever you do, you will live to regret it." Soren Kirkegaard.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a SWAT type helmet but there probably wont be much need for it out in the sticks and it will get in the way when doing other stuff, but it was available at the time so I got it, better to have and not need it than need it and not have it.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.aspx/categoryId/661/Faceshields-and-Visors/#/orderby/9

IBME;

Surf around above link for familiarization matters.

I couldn't find the military helmet accessory site - but it exists...or, at least, used to.

Tex Dan;

Yes, glasses and a hard hat acceptable and can exceed requirements. If I was an evaluator for MSF.com, I'd emphasize that the PPE requirements are personal. For example, Keith requires max peripheral vision. Lone Wolf also has specific personal requirements.

Either style, Bullard or pith helmet, you can add the accessories. There are add-on brims for the Ballard. Both types have face shields as add ons. There are anti-sunburn neck covers - some nomex for fire protection, etc. I've mentioned my personal requirements above. Will continue here and say my mosquito headnet is really a bee headnet - sturdier, better quality.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess the only helmets we have are bicycle helmets. Do those count? I guess it is better than nothing. We do have eye protection, and N95 masks. I haven't had the need for a hard hat in many years.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  10. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Have helmet for my scooter...face shield..but in the summer it is very hot.

MY prescription glasses are safety glasses...with removable side shields and I also have a spare set of side shields in my daily BOB.

I have a hard hat with goggles on it.

A helmet gets very heavy...similar to body armor...hot too.

You weigh out the value of it...it is your call.

Was at the local surplus store the other day getting some silver coins..and saw the owner had some body armor heavy plates for sale. It looked like a front or back plate....thick..dark metal or composite material.

Not really something in which I would be interested...because of weight limits.

Same with a helmet...weight...

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I've got a motorcycle helmet and visor, very heavy when not on a bike, not something i'll be wearing post SHTF.
    keep hunkered down, low profile, away from others and as remote as possible, better than any helmet.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple hardhats, safety glasses, N95 masks, and respirators with goggles.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The hardhat / helmets tend to fall under the body armor category FOR ME. I can see them being very helpful to others. I will not be bugging out, so the helmet would really not be much of an asset for me.

16. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a MICH Level IIIA.
    I'm in the market for a good bump helmet but need one with a real good NV mount for hunting Coyotes. I would hate to drop an expensive piece of equipment because the mount was cheap.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Preppers need helmets and body armor. One absolutely must at least have helmets and flack jackets.

Whether it be criminal interlopers or government goons, y'gotta have these protective instruments. There are so many millions of people, who among them are accomplished people with search-and-destroy skill-sets, that you must be able to defend your family and supplies. I so wish that this were not true. But wishing means absolutely nothing. What with so many monsters migrating all across previously civilized nations, y'gotta be ready to make them go away ... by any means necessary.

A flack jacket may defend against a round coming through a wall that has lost a lot of velocity and has begun to yaw. Body armor beats flack jackets, hands-down. Armored walls help a lot -- heavy plywood with sand, gravel, and tile sandwiched between the two plywood walls. Sandbags under and around windows and doors helps a whole bunch. Why not sandbags indoors?!!! If your home is a frame house, you need bullet-stopping barriers indoors. This is simply no intellectual challenge, boyz and gurlz!

You ALSO MUST have fire-extinguishers and water hoses INSIDE your homes. Gas masks? Not a bad idea at all.

If you must escape your home, you must lay down a wall of lead, plus you must have monster-sized smoke-bombs/grenades, 'cause concealment is the next best thing to cover. Booby-trap as many locations as you can that your enemy may attempt to use.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Really? I dont think so, maybe in a British city, they after all will be hell holes after TSHTF because the sheeple are lost without their junk food and electricity.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  19. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    British people are British people. Same with Europe.

Immigrant invaders have profoundly different behavioral patterns.

Same for the USSA. Our illegal immigrant invaders from the south are of a totally different culture.

Central American gang members make our Bloods and Crips look like girl scouts. They are MEGA-violent. Human life means nothing to them.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    our illegal immigrants are those that come over the English Channel in small boats, many have drowned attempting to cross. usually low skilled and very poor. these are the ones the govt want to send to Rwanda.

TMT Tactical likes this.