Do You Have Any Kind Of Superstition?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by WildSpirit, Jul 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    27bd93c84f670dd560e501bb27442747.jpeg
    For some people, superstitions are no more than a big foolish beliefs - and a waste of time - that shouldn't be taken into consideration as something important / relevant, while others faithfully believe that superstitions are something real and deserve all respect and attention.

What do you think about? Real or not real?

2. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess it depends on what you think of as "superstitions". There are the "black cat/ don't step under a ladder/unlucky 13" types, or the "chem-trail / Atlantis / space alien" types or the "different version of gods" types.

I figure most people might believe in one flavor and not of another.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any superstitions, I love cats of all colours, dogs too, 13 is just a number and I walk under ladders rather than walk in the road and get knocked over by a bus!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    No, I don't, however I can see how superstitions arose through ideas that may, in their time, have had a useful basis in society. Each to their own I guess.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't have many superstitions of the traditional sort. I like black cats and black rings. 13 is my favorite number. My Dad was born on Friday the thirteenth. That said I do believe that no good deed goes unpunished. On the other hand I also believe that you generally get out of life what you put into it. I'm the kind of person that will stop and help a stranger with car trouble. It is almost eerie how many times I've have car trouble and someone, usually someone that I knew, shows up and helps me out. I sort of believe is a sort of cosmic karma and that balance seems to be important. I don't believe in any of the silly traditional sorts of superstitions but do believe in some of the psychic things. I am clairvoyant and my great Grandfather was a water witch. He was well paid for finding water for water wells.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose it's not really a superstition but certainly fits this forum . When going through Green Beret training at camp Mc Call we had classes on developing animal instinct .I believe there is something to that . Remember Lt. Dan getting those feelings in the movie Forrest Gump .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That is exactly what I call clairvoyance. Many times over the years I have gotten a "feeling" before something bad happened. In most of the cases I had no normal way to foresee what was going to happen. I have delved into this for most of my life and personally think of it as remembering the future. I think that some major things that cause extreme emotions in you can be sense by some people before it happens. I learned the hard way young that to ignore this sort of feeling was a bad choice.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I am not sure that is clairvoyance. Whilst you say you had no normal way to foresee a given situation I imagine that honed instincts would heighten your senses and help guide you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    An survival example of using animal instinct to survive was used in the military training was " JOHN DILLENGER " . He was always ahead of the feds a step or two . Even when they had a good tip of his whereabouts he would be gone when they arrived . So recent he might have fled there would be a smoking cigeret in the room but no John Dillenger . They suspected he was being tipped off when they were closing in on him . After he was captured they found out he was escaping using sheer animal instinct . He would get a feeling of danger , grab his stuff and run .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a little kid I was riding in the back seat of a car between two other kids. I had already had a couple of experiences before this and had learned to trust these sort of premonitions. I suddenly just knew that we were going to have a wreck and that if I didn't move forward that something BAD was going to happen. I leaned forward and stuck my arm between the split front seats. This was almost two blocks before the intersection. I KNEW that a car was going to run a stop sign and T-bone us. The adult passenger in the front seat had time to turn and tell me to lean back. I held on tight, put my head down and tried to warn them but before I could say anything we got hit.

The guy that hit us was drunk and driving way faster than the speed limit when he ran that stop sign and hit us without ever touching his brakes. The car I was in spun like a top and when it stopped I was the only person still in the car. Both adults and a child in the front were thrown out and the brother and sister that I was sitting between were gone. This was before cars had safety glass. The boy sitting beside me and his little sister were cut up from the flying glass. The little girl was small so most of it went over her head. The right side of her brothers face was shredded and cut to the bone all along that side of his face.

The little girl in the front ended up under the car with a wheel on her. The adults were skinned up pretty bad but were freaking out because they couldn’t find the little girl. When they found her under the car they really freaked out because she was unconscious and they couldn’t get her out. I crawled out of the car and tried to tell them that it was going to be OK but they weren’t going for that. Suddenly a big delivery truck pulled up and stopped. A really big black man jumped out of his big box truck, found out what was going on, and pulled a long 2”X12” plank out of his truck. He lifted the car and pulled the little girl out. She woke up and started to scream but other than being truly scared half to death she seemed fine. That man left and we never even got to know his name or thank him.

Ambulances can and took everyone but me to the hospital. The wreck happened in front of a ladies house that knew me and had called my Mama. I was the only person that came away untouched. I KNEW what was going to happen including that a really big nice man was going to save Allison well before there was any possibility of me seeing that other car. Actually when you are a kid in the back seat of a Hudson you don’t see much of anything. It was a big car with tall front seats.

I always felt bad for Bill, the boy sitting beside me. Had I not leaned forward and ducked down it would have been my face that would have been torn and cut almost off. He was terribly scared and back then you just had to live with it. I felt like I should have tried harder to warn him and pull him down. But I was just a little kid…

This wasn’t my only experience like this. I can’t predict the next winning lottery numbers but I do seem to have a sixth sense about bad things that affect me directly.

11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    My wife claims to have ESP similar to what you describe, TexDanm. Your story is truly unique, and there may be something to ESP to which we have absolutely no clue. I will not deny that. We probably know more about outer space than we do the human brain. Whether you want to call it animal instinct, or going with your gut they are all the same. You just have an innate feeling that something is about to happen, or you should do something because it feels right.

To answer the original question I do not have any superstitions. I may be the world's worst at being in touch with my feelings. Maybe it is because they don't come up that often. Maybe it is because I am totally clueless in that regard. Maybe I am clueless because I don't want to believe it. I guess I look for more tangible things to guide me than superstition.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that superstitions are a combination of things. Part of it is stories from the past that offer warnings about things that were seen differently then they are now. Knocking on wood goes back to a time when people believed in other gods and creatures and that knocking on wood would wake the spirits to protect you from foreseen tragedies. For example if you were worried that a loved on who late might have had an accident and you mentioned it you would then knock on wood to ask the spirits to make it not so.

Some superstitions hearken back to actual occurrences in the past and refer to those particular things. The number thirteen is a good example and has all sorts of happenings both good and bad connected to it.

Another part of superstition has to do with not understanding a natural occurrence. Over time something is observed over and over and it becomes something sort of believed but since there is no proof or scientific backing to that belief it is cast as a superstition. At some point sometimes something that is thought to be superstition or an old wives tale is proven to have real validity.

Modern scientific observations of animal behavior is beginning to make a lot of the things about animals seeming to have some sort of foreknowledge about weather or geological disastrous more likely to be a real ability than just a tall tale. It isn't understood yet but the gathered data makes it almost a certainty that certain animals have other senses than the five that people consider normal. Sharks can sense the electrical usage of the muscles and several species of animals and birds have a magnetic sense that allows them to navigate over long distances.

There was a little town in China some years ago that was evacuated based on the prediction of a massive earthquakes. All the people left and a couple days later the town was leveled by massive earthquake. It was predicted by a scientist that had gathered information about odd things that seemed to happen in the days and weeks BEFORE an earth quake. He noted that in every instance in that part of China that there would be a growing increase in snake bites and snakes showing up in places not their normal haunts. It increased in a massive increase until right before the earthquake and then suddenly stopped. When he heard about them suddenly having a "plague" of snakes he went there and then contacted the government and aided in the evacuation.

Evidently, somehow, the snakes can sense the pressures building up in the rocks that they normally live in. Maybe they are picking up some special sort of micro-quakes. There has always been superstitions connecting snakes to earthquakes in China maybe it is more than superstition.

A scientist in the US accurately predicted the San Francisco earthquake and had evidently forecast a few other less violent quakes accurately as well. Get this, he bases his predictions on a sudden big increase of ads in papers for people that are looking for lost dogs! He thinks that in the weeks building up to a quake dogs sense something and it makes them want to leave the area. ???

What we now call paranormal occurrences may indeed be EXTRA SENSES and PERCEPTIONS that we don't currently recognize as normal because they are very weak and only a few people are able to access those senses without training. You could be potentially the greatest baseball pitcher in history but if nobody ever put a baseball in your hand and taught you how to hold and throw it you nor anyone would f=ever know you lost potential.

I think that my occasional special sense of forthcoming events is the result of childhood occurrences that led me as a child to believe in and be more open to things than others. All kids seem to have a world view that is wildly different than the adults around them. Who is to say that maybe some of the odd things that they say and seems to see may not be due to senses that will dull or fade away as they grow up. We as adults tend to discourage kids from allowing their "imagination" to carry them away and they learn to distrust things that aren't obviously apparent. When my "daydreams" started happening when I was little I just accepted it. I wasn't taught to encourage it but neither was I pushed away from it. As I grew up I learned to tell the difference between a random daydream and a premonition. Superstition or SuperNATURAL.

TMT Tactical likes this.