Do you know what your weaknesses are?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Damorale, Jun 5, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    So if SHTF, I know there are some things I'm going to be weak at when it comes to survival. I suffer from insomnia and so sleeping is often an issue for me, and I'm likely to be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting enough sleep to survive the days. I know that I could know a lot more about where to source food naturally, and I don't own even a basic gun which I think would be useful to have. Do you know what your weaknesses are, and if so what are you doing to combat them?

Moroccanbeauty2266 and Keith H. like this.
  2. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My biggest weaknesses would be: 1. my fear of bugs, and 2. my lack of physical strength. The first one is the thing that would cripple me. I have really really bad phobia of bugs. It's not even a logical fear; I'm just terrified. I can't go near them or hear them or anything related to them. The second weakness, being my lack of physical strength is one that I could overcome with some exercise.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think my only weakness is the fact that I can no longer run. Not too long ago I was able to run through the woods like a youngster. Then arthritis weakened my right hip. I could still dog trot but had to stop once in a while & raise my right leg on a fallen tree to snap my hip joint back in place before continuing. Finally it got that bad that I decided to have a prosthetic hip replacement. They told me I would be able to do anything that I had been able to do before my hip problem. They were WRONG! I could still only dog trot. Now I can't even do that properly, & certainly not with my pack on my back. I am now restricted to walking only.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    Dog trotting through the woods, the good old days :)

4. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I think my weaknesses are 1. my sensitivity to the cold, so if SHTF because of an ice age, I'd might as well just curl up in a fetal position and surrender; and 2. my metabolism, which is really, really fast. I also get incredibly hangry. Chances are, if it was really bad and I didn't get to eat for a few days, I probably wouldn't have much strength to even gather food. That, or I'd turn into Smeagol and attack campsites, screaming, "My precious food!"

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I have the weakness of anxiety in unfamiliar environments though this can be ameliorated by viewing the deep green of the wild. I am also given to having a variety of things to do which would no doubt be restricted in the wild. I think there is also the fear of the unknown for the wild can be unpredictable without enough security.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Mine like keith with age and mileage my running days are over

7. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    No running for me!
    I have weakness's but have them covered.

8. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    One of my weaknesses is that I have to constantly be doing something. Sitting still is difficult for me, but I can always bide time by completing small tasks. The military schooled me very well in hurry up and wait. Also, I'm like others here, and I have to fight my metabolism. I just space out eating. Nibble here and there to hold off that hungry feeling. I eat the same ration, I just spread it out more.

9. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think my weaknesses are also insomnia and being sleep deprived for a longer period is just not good for me because I start to get anxiety attacks and that would not be good in an apocalypse situation.
    What I am doing to try to prevent it? I have a strict rule that if I do not sleep one day through that I have to force myself to sleep on the second day no matter if it is just a couple of hours and to not drink any coffee in order to get back on track.
    Another weakness I have would be to help everyone that I meet and not think about myself meaning I might give away all my food because I want to help but then might end up not having enough for myself to survive and I think I will have to still work on that and learn how to become a little stricter with myself.

10. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I have nearsightedness (myopia) and astigmatism. Thus my crippling weakness is poor sight. In survival circumstances, without a good pair of glasses I will not be able to see from afar. That means I would not be able to shoot a target with a firearm from medium to long range. Only close range. Also I wouln't be able to tell the details on woodland, people or animals camouflaged are pretty much invisibles for me.

11. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My biggest weakness is that I am sick right now and I don't have the stamina. I have a in fever and it would be a pain to try to to hike and climb in these conditions.

12. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean physical or pshycological weakness?
    Let's say one for both then: as many of you, I also have insomnia. I spent countless hours at night just trying to sleep, and haven't found a solution yet. I never thought it was such a common issue... But I'm also in this paradoxycal situation where, when I finally fall asleep, I go in a very, very, very deep sleep. Not even cannons can wake me up, and this might be dangerous in specific situations.
    As for the physical part... well, I'm afraid I have to admit I'm not a very good swimmer. In a situation where swimming is required I would have some serious trouble. I know how to swim, just don't really that good... and it seems I can't improve, probably I have some fear of water deep in my subsconcious.

13. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm diabetic and without my pills I'll die.
    That said the most important thing about not having my meds is that I know I won't die!!!

Given that in a shtf my diet will be low carbs, high protein, the diabetes might not kill or disable me.
    I need glasses but have 3 sets.
    I have a huge amount of dietary supplements. Call 'em vitamins if ya like but they ain't.
    They are food supplements. Fact is they are food.
    Shaklee products. All natural food supplements.
    Commercial "vitamins" one gets from the store are fake, junk, chemical based, products and most
    all of it goes out in your urine.
    Those fakes, like One-A-Day, do nothing but make the user believe they are getting something.
    They ain't.
    My g-friend is a Shaklee rep and keeps a stock on hand as her customer base is huge.
    It's her only job for 30 years and she has been in almost every major country on the planet
    at company expense.
    I had no idea about supplements 'till I met her some 3 years ago.
    It was she and her products that enabled me to quite taking insulin injections 4 times
    a day to taking only Metformin (sp?) pills just 2 timex a day.
    They freakin' work!
    I never did care for cake, ice cream, candy, etc. so don't miss that at all.

Years ago I knew the parents of a youngster who gave him One A Day vitamins.
    The kid, thinking it was candy ATE the whole bottle.
    The horrified parents rightfully took the boy to the e.r. and explained what happened.
    The docs said not to worry as the vitamins won't harm him as there isn't anything in them anyway.

Can't buy Shaklee in a store. Google it if interested.
    I have no profit motive in this at all.
    By the way. Most of my fiance's family are into Shaklee part time to supplement incomes.
    I'm retired and intend to stay that way. :>)

14. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Psychological weaknesses I don't have one bit.
    Being a cop for over 2 decades hardened me towards death, injury, suffering, etc.

15. Dontavian W Hill

Dontavian W Hill New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Of course, i have overall weakness are being Fearful, overly trusting, sad, desire to escape reality, can be a victim or a martyr.
    Luckily, i have been working on this and have been improve myself as whole.