Do You Leave Your Backpack At Camp?

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by branchd77, Jul 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
?

When You Leave Your Camp For Whatever Reason But Plan On Coming Back, Do You Pack Everything Up?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2017.
  1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No

5.6%
  3. Depends On How Long I Will Be Gone For

22.2%
  4. Depends On My Distance From Camp

22.2%
  5. Partially

5.6%
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    When you travel away from your campsite for whatever reason, such as to gather food. Do you leave your backpack with supplies or do you pack everything up and carry it with you at all times?

I can understand wanting to take everything with you but I would imagine the extra time needed to pack and unpack would be a waste. Thoughts?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I forage on the trail before I make camp, no need to leave camp. Wood for the fire is easily collected around the camp area. If it is raining or wet from previous rain, then I forage for dry kindling on the trail before making camp. I would never risk leaving my pack or any other equipment where I could not keep eyes on it.
    Keith.

3. L.Anderson

L.Anderson Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    It's quite risky to leave your backpack at camp, but I often zip my tent when going away. If I bring valuable accesories, it's better to take your bag with you.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on why you are there. On a normal camping trek there is no reason to travel far from camp if you are alone. If for some reason I had to leave camp in a bug out situation but wanted to come back to the same spot, say for instance I was setting out a trap line, then it is easy enough for me to conceal my equipment in a hollow log or under a bush. My fire bag, angling equipment, knives, tomahawk, long gun & pistol are always on me wherever I go & those are the most important items. You can if you have concerns stash your pack in one place & other items such as your shelter, kettle & food supplies in another place.
    Keith.

5. Oldguy

Oldguy Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Usually I don't make camp as such I string my hammock to sleep/rest and repack when I get up, I get kit out to use then repack when finished, if I leave camp everything go's with me.

I try to leave little trace of my passing.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I usually don't leave camp until I move on to the next place.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I might not bring my pack fully loaded when I venture off from camp. I always have at least a small pack with basic survival supplies in it and animal defence. When leaving camp for a bit I always keep a bit of paracord in it as I might be a half mile from camp and break a leg. I want the means to easily make a splint for getting back.

8. Travis.s

Travis.s Well-Known Member
      70/115

Blog Posts:
    If your camp is going to be more on the permanent side then you can hid some of your supplies(rig it up in to a tree with so camouflage) and then take the rest with you. This will free up space and weight if your going to get more supplies and if you do return to find the stuff you hid is gone you still have what you carried.
    If you have a small group like your family they can watch the camp.
    But I always find it best if on my own to have a stache of supplies separate from the rest.
    ( don't keep your egg's in one basket kind of deal )