Do You Leave Your Backpack At Camp?

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by branchd77, Jul 16, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
?

When You Leave Your Camp For Whatever Reason But Plan On Coming Back, Do You Pack Everything Up?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2017.
  1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No

5.6%
  3. Depends On How Long I Will Be Gone For

22.2%
  4. Depends On My Distance From Camp

22.2%
  5. Partially

5.6%
  1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    When you travel away from your campsite for whatever reason, such as to gather food. Do you leave your backpack with supplies or do you pack everything up and carry it with you at all times?

I can understand wanting to take everything with you but I would imagine the extra time needed to pack and unpack would be a waste. Thoughts?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I forage on the trail before I make camp, no need to leave camp. Wood for the fire is easily collected around the camp area. If it is raining or wet from previous rain, then I forage for dry kindling on the trail before making camp. I would never risk leaving my pack or any other equipment where I could not keep eyes on it.
    Keith.

Justin Baker and The Innkeeper like this.
  3. L.Anderson

L.Anderson Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    It's quite risky to leave your backpack at camp, but I often zip my tent when going away. If I bring valuable accesories, it's better to take your bag with you.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on why you are there. On a normal camping trek there is no reason to travel far from camp if you are alone. If for some reason I had to leave camp in a bug out situation but wanted to come back to the same spot, say for instance I was setting out a trap line, then it is easy enough for me to conceal my equipment in a hollow log or under a bush. My fire bag, angling equipment, knives, tomahawk, long gun & pistol are always on me wherever I go & those are the most important items. You can if you have concerns stash your pack in one place & other items such as your shelter, kettle & food supplies in another place.
    Keith.

Justin Baker and The Innkeeper like this.
  5. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Usually I don't make camp as such I string my hammock to sleep/rest and repack when I get up, I get kit out to use then repack when finished, if I leave camp everything go's with me.

I try to leave little trace of my passing.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I usually don't leave camp until I move on to the next place.

7. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    I might not bring my pack fully loaded when I venture off from camp. I always have at least a small pack with basic survival supplies in it and animal defence. When leaving camp for a bit I always keep a bit of paracord in it as I might be a half mile from camp and break a leg. I want the means to easily make a splint for getting back.

8. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    If your camp is going to be more on the permanent side then you can hid some of your supplies(rig it up in to a tree with so camouflage) and then take the rest with you. This will free up space and weight if your going to get more supplies and if you do return to find the stuff you hid is gone you still have what you carried.
    If you have a small group like your family they can watch the camp.
    But I always find it best if on my own to have a stache of supplies separate from the rest.
    ( don't keep your egg's in one basket kind of deal )

9. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    If I am staying in one place for an extended period, then I make sure to find a good place to stash my pack. I have a smaller pack for foraging or trapping or fishing or whatever else I might be going to do.

10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    FWIW;

My loadout arrangements are somewhat different to start with. My backpack does not contain "everything".

I wear 2 cargo vests packed with most critical material, eg RX prescription medicines, high energy, anti-stress food (NOT Granola bars !), "Wet Ones" brand washing clothes packet, DEET in plastic container; not big spray can.

Also, always on me is my equipment belt with eg flashlight, strobelight, etc.

Indirectly related - only indirectly related - but always on me - below shirt is another thin, non-nylon vest with documents eg CDC 731 Yellow Fever shot record(s), a few extra bills - haven't seen decent sized big bills since Hillary became First Lady - passport, wallet, .. Vest back pocket has topo and road maps. Entire vest is outfitted with ZipLoc pouches in case I want to play in the rain or fall in mud.

Pack has the non-essentials.

Like that Chinese expression: "The walls have eyes", .. that remote camping site is not that remote.

An aside; Above adjusted and modified to season, anticipated weather, planned location, etc.
    Even in cold weather, most of my pouches have a couple of moth balls (camphor) in each. Bugs need not seek to stay with me.

These are my thoughts.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. AnarchySurvival

AnarchySurvival Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Ok, as someone who both camps solo as well as taking my family to go camping, as having had to literally live in the woods for several months at a time before, this is dependant on the area as well as the situation.

When just going on a camping trip solo, i will setup my gear and shelter and then do my basic camp chores of wood collecting and such then take a bit of a hike. I take my primary tools with me, that being my belt pouch packed with some survival essentials along with my primary belt knife and my tomahawk. Everything else i leave at camp because carrying everything just to do some scouting isn't an option. I do the same when i take the family with me.

If I'm in an area that i know i risk having my stuff stolen, I won't set up camp until I'm ready to actually end my day, meaning I've already done my scouting while hiking in and procured whatever fresh food i may want that evening. In this case, I never "setup" camp but instead just setup my shelter and leave my bag packed and ready to move at a moment's notice. With the type of bag i currently use having access from both the top and bottom, this is an easy task as i can access my sleeping gear without emptying my pack to dig everything out allowing me to keep it packed while still having my shelter and sleeping gear accessible making camp setup quick and simple.I

(Edited for mistakes.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  12. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    That's the most practical approach.

TMT Tactical and AnarchySurvival like this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning all,

To add something to the discussion;

Solo camping is like solo SCUBA diving. Both are gambles and not risks. Risks can be managed. Gambling cannot. "The house wins". King Neptune and Mother Nature have vast real estate holdings.

Am I the only one here who stays awake and on alert at night in the wilderness and rests during daylight hours ?

TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.
  14. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    When I'm out and about by myself in the forest for more than a couple moons, I adopt a 3 on/3 off approach. kind of like cats,... that way, I get daylight and night.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good planning, Justin !

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, but I have to admit, it's really only because some resources are more readily available at night, some during the day. Being equally up and awake for whatever comes is priority, and saving my own skin is as saving a resource to me ;)

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Justin,

Our posts at MSF are really about presenting the Roman Numerals of the Prepper outline. The rest, A.B.C., iii, iv, etc, are narrative commentary and arising discussion.

That's why I didn't ask for a clarifying specific of a "resource" not obtainable during hours of visibility.

Here on the western shores of the Chesapeake Bay, for about 40 miles west is marsh/swamp. Night is dining time for our many swamp creatures, less the politicians who dine 24/7.

TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.