Do You Like To Walk Barefoot?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by WildSpirit, May 27, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Since I was a kid I like to walk barefoot. :) If it were possible, I would probably live barefoot for most of my life. But unfortunately, the conventions of our society don't allow me this kind of pleasure without offering any kind of retaliation. :(

The main reason that makes me like to walk barefoot is the feeling of freedom that I usually feel.

Jonathan Solomon likes this.
  2. docx

docx New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes i love to walk barefoot because it connect more with nature.
    We should all practice this style to better understand the nature's behaviors.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    sounds like a hippy question.
    not a good idea these days, you never know what you will tread on, thorns, glass, nails.
    in a city you'll probably get a foot full of chewing gum.

Old Geezer likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm not sure if your talking about walking in a forest or in an urban setting, too much muck and dirt on pavements/sidewalls to do the latter.
    I think I would prefer a pair of Keith's moccassins instead.

5. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Not really. As lonewolf said.. it's not a good idea today, you never know what you would step on! I think it wasn't a good idea even years ago, or else we shouldn't have invented shoes to protect ourselves!
    It might provide you a sensation of freedom, but at what cost?

6. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    This brings back memories. When I was a kid and whenever we went to the seaside for the holidays, there were always huge forested areas and I loved to walk barefoot through it. First, it tickled but once my feet got used to it, it felt really good. That was years ago though. I'm not sure if I'd dare to anymore with so many stuff laying around like lonewolf said. I especially wouldn't dare to go barefoot down the street. It's so, so dirty, full of random junk, broken glass and worse.

So, no, I don't walk barefoot. I like my comfortable shoes :p

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We want no worms.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/hookworm/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elissa-hallem/how-do-skin-penetrating-nematodes_b_2240658.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...595#tbm=isch&q=hookworms+pinworms+threadworms

I find barefoot, pregnant women cute beyond measure. I'm old. I'm from Southern Appalachia.

When outdoors, wear shoes, even if they are only sandals or flip-flops. Keep your home floors & carpets clean. Don't let your dogs, kids, or husband tread in dirt onto your clean floors -- floors you work so hard to keep clean. Men, if you want to see your wife's pretty bare legs and feet, then leave your dang dirty boots at the door!

8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I love my boots. I keep my boots waxed. Never wear cotton socks for outdoor wear -- especially when hiking or hunting. In this day and age, there are man-made fabrics that exceed wool in comfort and in wicking away moisture from your feet. Hiking / hunting socks (without cotton) are the ONLY socks to wear when slogging out into Mother Nature's environs. Modern hiking sock fabrics provide a sliding buffer between feet and leather, which prevents blisters. If in survival mode, blisters can get you into seriously deep trouble. During WWI, trench-foot disabled many a'thousand soldiers. Russian soldiers used to wrap their feet in wool bands before donning their boots.

9. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I love to walking barefoot, but I have to confess that I've never met anyone - not even virtually - who likes to run barefoot, you're the first person. It's good to know that I'm not
    alone in this world because if there's one thing that I like to do in this life, it's running barefoot (sometimes I even lose track of time).

This may all seem like a litte bit of exaggeration, but it's only possible to understand who also feels the same sensation.

Jonathan Solomon likes this.
  10. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Love it, do it as much as possible. Also drive barefoot always.
    I almost got kicked out of my locla shopping mall for being barefoot once...Then I got the security guard to downgrade the situation to 'Okay, but next time, just wear some shoes.'

Running barefoot is another thing though. I feel like if I were a runner, I'd like to try it, but I'm not really a runner. So there's that.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I do. I live on rural acreage in the Pacific Northwest and do so when I can. My elderly parents have property south of us and I do so there too. There is something primal, and delightful, about going unshod during the warm months.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  12. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in the city and you don't see anyone walking barefoot there. My feet have been used to be clad in a footwear so I have difficulty when walking barefoot. Perhaps the only time I walk barefoot is when I am in the beach or in the pool. Especially when in the woods, I am very careful because I don't want to hurt my feet. There are twigs and other sharp objects that I couldn't see in the woods which can cause a cut or a wound.

13. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I like it - at home and on the pure grass. But anywhere else I die if I'm walking barefoot, even if I know (a Doc said this to me) that walking without shoes are good for your health/foot.

14. kamar19

kamar19 Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    walking barefoot is cool and it's actually healthier to walk around barefoot than with shoes. I love feeling connected with the earth, now walking along cement is not as fun as walking on the dirt but waling barefoot gives you healing energy from the earth.

15. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I never go outside barefoot. Even indoors, I wear slippers to avoid slipping on the floor, or stepping on a sharp object that may have been laying on the floor. Going barefoot especially outdoors increases the risk of getting an injury, usually a laceration, meaning the first line of defense on your foot has been compromised. This would lead to pain and possible infection, which would reduce the effectiveness of your feet and mobility. You can also get tic bites, rashes, or other parasites that you may encounter by having your bare feet on the ground.

16. Harrysung

Harrysung New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I don't like walking barefooted because it irritates me to see under my foot being dirty. I find something to wear even at home. I love seeing my foot clean and fresh and another advantage is that it prevents my foot from dangerous objects on floors and as an engineer, my always putting on a foot wear protects me against electric shocks.

17. Lexcion

Lexcion New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I like to walk barefoot, but sometimes I get paranoid that I might step on a sharp rock or something like that. I always walk barefoot at home though since wearing shoes make my feet pretty sweaty. If it was socially accepted and the ground was clean I would totally go barefoot all the time.

18. AntwanCeja

AntwanCeja New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Supposedly they say, its good to walk barefoot every once in awhile. They say it is good to just connect with earth through our feet. They also say that by doing this, you will become less prone to get sick, get the flu and even your inmune system will improve. I always do it.. It takes some time to get your feet used to it, but it is totally worth trying.

19. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Before yes especially when i was a kid. Now I'm in the medical profession, I'm more aware about the disavantages of walking barefoot. One reason is, parasites such as worm can penetrate our skin. Barefoot is also dangerous because no matter how used your feet walking bare or how thick your callous is, it's still prone to injury.

20. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I have never loved walking on barefoot in the rocky areas. I've had friends who were locals in the rural area that I was living in back then and then were fine without slippers but I just can't seem to do it. It hurts as if I'm stepping on Lego bricks. It would probably hinder my progress once I'm lost in the woods without anything on my feet, but I would most likely improvise by then by cutting off tree barks and finding something to tie it with on my feet.

21. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Word of warning to us barefooters. I was waling barefoot as I often too, about two weeks ago (and I live in a major city.)
    I stepped on a piece of glass and am still having problems with my foot. In fact, my GP has ordered an X-Ray to ensure the glass is still in my foot... :/

22. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, but in a beach. I feel comfortable walking on the sands. My feet felt its tiny grains and it feels relaxing though it's not comfortable walking on it if it's direct under the sun because the sand easily gets hot. Its like a conductor of heat during the day as well as cold at night.

23. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I usually walk barefoot during the yet months when the ground is soft and its not too cold. I remember something to the effect that walking barefoot is good for exercise as the various pressure points are worked on by the uneven ground.

24. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I like to walk barefoot on the grass. Walking on the grass when dew is still there has many health benefits. Your eye sight will imporve, you will get fresh air (it will be early morning when dew is on the grass), and you will have some exercise (because you are walking). Walking barefoot on the soft grass is also very relaxing.

25. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Historically in Southern Appalachia, there has been no shortage of barefoot pregnant girls.

26. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I can never walk barefoot anywhere except the beach where there is soft sand to walk on. Walking barefoot poses a lot challenges. You can get a tiny object like a piece of glass or any other shrapnel logged into your feet. And there's the hygeine factor.

27. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Can't say it's one of the things I like. Even when I'm at home I prefer to wear some kind of shoes. Sandals of flip-flops maybe. I just feel unprotected with shoes. That said I know people that won't stay barefoot no matter what. I'm not like them I see no problems in going free if the occasion calls for it.

28. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This exactly. Flip-flops, sandals, all kinds of footwear were made to protect the feet. While yeah a lot of footwear now are for fashion statements, it's primary purpose is to protect your feet from foreign objects. 1 perfectly propped shard of glass and that's an immediate trip to a hospital. The world today is very modernized now. It could have worked before thousands of years ago for cavemen, but that's because there isn't a lot of things to protect it from back then. But now, with how our world is today and with the harsh climates we are experiencing, a footwear is an absolute must.

I would take the chance to walk barefoot in a mall though, that sounds really fun.

29. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I only walk barefoot if I know that it's a relatively safe surface. Grass that doesn't have glass shards or needles and same with beach sand. Home which I keep immaculately clean. Other than that I wear shoes all the time mostly because foot protection is important. An infection from the foot (even from a relatively small cut) can lead to all sorts of nasty issues later on which is why historically taking care of a person's feet was an important part of society in many parts of the world. Plus many parasites and whatnot have evolved over the years to take advantage of our feet as well. The Tunga Penetrans is one such parasite.

30. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Precisely man. That's why I wear thick safety boots. Designed for workers, I spent less than 30 bucks in it and it has lasted a good couple of years. Also, it's very good looking goes well with the "macho" look I usually go for. Who needs an expensive brand tennis that won't last for 6 months meh! Survival all day long haha

31. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I do walk barefooted on grasses sometimes. I started it since when I heard of it health benefits.
    I was told among of it health benefits that it reduces stress. That is the main reason I'd love to do that always