Do you pass your survival skills on to your children?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Damorale, May 31, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    So, do you?

My daughter helps with cooking and gardening, and she knows a few bits and bobs about staying hydrated and keeping warm/cool in certain weathers, but as of yet I haven't really talked to her about bad things which could happen because she's still very young and still figuring the world out. Instead I just try to weave little pieces of information that could help her survive into her life.

I have a friend with an eight year old daughter who he has taught everything he knows to. She has skinned rabbits and picked mushrooms, and has regularly been camping and handled a basic air rifle. She's a great kid and loves all of it. There's nothing he would consider not worth teaching her. (As a side note, we have a friend who thinks she's too young for all that - especially the hunting and skinning - but that's a different story!)

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Probably yes. Even if I end up living in a tight urban area. Definitely not skinning, hunting game or how to handle a fusil. But I could learn them my own fishing, foraging, kindling, harvest and blade handling skills whenever We have the chance of spend some time in the wilderness.

Damorale likes this.
  3. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    By the time I became interested in this topic, my children were grown and gone. It hard to have a impact on them after they are grown and I have not noticed them having much interest in it. Maybe a little. Get them while they are young, then you can make a real difference in their lives. Maybe I can have some influence on my grandchildren.

Damorale likes this.
  4. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    It would handy if there was a guide - though wouldn't that be handy for everything to do with parenting? But I would like to know at which ages children are mature enough to learn about x and y, and responsible enough to handle certain tools and equipment. Obviously all children are different though, so that would never work. It's difficult because some things my daughter seems so advanced with, she really grasps and loves certain concepts. But with other things, she reminds me that she's still just a tiny human being who isn't ready for some parts of the world yet and that I can protect her for just a little bit longer.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I think what to teach and when to teach it depends on several different factors. The first is the area you live in. Certainly if you live in a very urban area and don't get to the country much, you're not going to be able to teach a child to hunt and skin a rabbit. Second, the child's age as well as their level of interest and their maturity level should all play a part in what you teach them and when. Some children aren't mentally prepared to think about "what ifs" and if bad things happen. It will give them nightmares. That being said there are things you can teach them without explaining why it might one day be relevant, like gardening and how to avoid food poisoning. Even activities like fishing and picking mushrooms/berries are all helpful survival skills that don't have to seem like some ominous doomsday talk to a child.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have no children to speak of but when we go on a camping trip, we bring along the children of my sister - a boy and 2 girls. Those kids have learned a lot. It is their duty to pitch the tents and to prepare the improvised stove if a barbecue pit is not available. We have also oriented them in arranging the food items properly. In camping areas, be it mountain or prairie, the usual enemy are scavenging insects particularly ants. You wouldn't want your food to be full of ants that's why the food storage area should be safe from scavenging insects and animals as well - there are camp areas where mice is the number 1 enemy, worse when there are rats. That's why we also have a rule with leftover food that it should be secured very well and buried if necessary so as not to attract animals and insects.

The kids are also oriented with emergency procedures like in an accident or health problems, how to seek help, how to avail of emergency needs like splinter or torniquet. But the best part is in preparing the food. Cooking is a tiring chore but the kids have to learn although it's not their responsibility since we adults still handle the actual cooking. But with the cleaning up, the kids also help. I'm sure that in the years to come, those kids would be teaching their own kids the rudiments of camping.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My three boys have been practicing primitive skills since they were four years of age. Teachers at school regularly requested that my boys demonstrate flint & steel fire lighting to the class. They have retained these skills & are now teaching their own children.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    My eldest boy when he was a youngster camped out in winter with his flintlock rifle. All three boys learnt to shoot using this flintlock rifle from an early age.

sunnytn and Damorale like this.
  8. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Fantastic picture and it sounds like your children had a really engaged, supportive teacher too. In fact overall it sounds like they had a great start in life. I know that with regards to my own parenting, that I aim to emulate the behaviours I was really glad my parents exhibited when I was younger, so the fact that your children are passing on the family wisdom shows they must really feel to have gained a lot from it :)

Keith H. likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    It all depends on the individual child, some like my boys can learn from about the age of four. My boys were able to accurately throw a tomahawk & make it stick in a target at four years of age. Others are simply not able to be responsible until they are much older. You have to simply judge for yourself, knowing your children better than anyone else.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    My eldest son again, I guess he was about 7 or 8 years of age here so had been throwing the tomahawk for about four years. This was taken at a Living History Rendezvous in Taminic Victoria many years ago. Living History is a great teacher for children & adults. It is always good if you can find a hobby that the whole family can participate in.

10. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I have kept most stuff about prepping/survival from my son but have taught him most stuff one way or another without it being about survivalism
    It has been about camping, shooting and making do mostly from me and lots from five years of army cadets
    He has no idea he is but he is a survivalist!;)
    Also the reason I am here. not so much to learn though I still get a bit here and there but to pass on what I know!
    In real life I regularly instruct on firearms care, shooting, safety and tactics.
    This sunday there is a local shooting meet and greet at the range where newbies and old timers alike can have a go of different firearms
    and maybe get a little coaching!:)

11. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Children are the sum of there experiances and there IQ
    The more stuff you can engage them in the better it is.
    Being too SAFE with your children will retard there development !

12. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think teaching your kids this early would really help. As a kid I learned how to fish and have been to the country and saw what farm life was like, but to me this was all fun even some of the work. My family never had a lot of the luxuries of living in urban or suburban ares before they migrated from the south in the 60's. The thing is when you make it seem like a fun activity they'll get used to it. I think if your not comfortable with the idea
    of gardening hunting or living off the grid that's when things can be ruff. In the event they'll be forced to be self sufficient lessons they learn from there childhood will make things easier for them.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    They were very enthusiastic about learning, not too long ago I was still finding pieces of plant fibre cordage dropped on trails in the forest here, & some of their childhood shelters in the woods are still standing. When they first learnt how to make cordage, we were forever finding toilet roll cordage in the outhouse :)
    Keith.

14. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Of course my 2year old grand daughter is very good in the woods she loves to squirril hunt with the pellet rifle teach them young

15. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Kids should learn survival skills when they are still young. The unexpected can happen. While the parent may believe that they'll be around to teach the kids what they know later what if shtf and the parents have to sacrifice their lives so the kids get to safety? How would they survive on their own if they haven't learned anything?

This is why it's important that you start teaching children survival skills as soon as they can learn because you never can tell what will happen.

16. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    To answer your question as well as to reiterate what most have said and demonstrated here, the answer is yes. It is way easier to teach kids than most adults. Kids are naturally inquisitive-whether they think it's a game or know the real deal is up to you. Also age is something you will be able to determine as the parent. I have taught many different grade levels from kindergarten to 12th grade. Although each grade level was inquisitive, the younger kids had more of a natural thirst and want to know more. They are still at the age where they want to please their parents and/or family. However, teenagers do care and will take the initiative if they can honestly see a benefit from it. I have a 10 year old nephew (his Mom, my sister, is a chef) who started learning how to cook maybe about 3-4 years ago and he can cook better than some adults I know.

I remember helping my Grandmother clean a pig when I was about 7 or 8 but I was gardening before then. We had somewhat of a farm growing up and we were taught to plant, grow and cultivate gardens amongst other things for food and to sell. Cooking with the basics was something and very essential to survival. Most kids will be happy to learn something new. If not just for the extra time that you spend with them but to make it an event that everyone can join in should work wonders for the whole experience.

17. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    no kids.

18. Arkane

275/297

Blog Posts:
    Kid can be taught easy!
    Why do you think all those weirdos at universities become teachers!
    To spread the rainbow word
    And for feminazis to destroy future men with corrupt words!

19. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I can only think of a few things more important than passing on survival skills to your children. My dad taught me survival skills he learned in the marines. I think all children should learn basic survival skills. No one likes to think bad things will happen, but it is important to be prepared for worst case scenarios .

20. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have kids and they are still young enough that I can still teach them about how to survive. They are still exploring the world as it is. However, this year I have been thinking about sending my kids to a summer camp where they learn about this stuff together with other children. Certainly, they would enjoy it more and they will learn things that I cannot teach them or do not have the knowledge about. Of course, having a guide for kids would be wonderful!

21. kat2415

kat2415 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I think most certainly you should. I learned the best just watching my mother as a child. I can remember helping her make apple pie as early as four years old. I learned how to hunt and fish from my Dad, grandpa, and my uncles. I have tried to pass those skills down to my kids as well. But I do have one daughter that would rather hang out at the shopping mall than be outdoors any day. And she certainly did not get it from me. I only shop when I have to.

22. hpro hamed

hpro hamed New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    you don't have to explain everything about survival to them but you can teach them a few tips in the time that they are growing up. for example the things about earthquake,you can show them something like that even if they are a kid teach them what to do when it comes to them. you should let them believe that the world can be dangerous sometimes. but it's not good to explain them all in once if you do that they probably freak out
    and yeah I am agree to teach it to childrens