Do you think good footwear is more important than tools and shelter?

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by Damorale, Jun 8, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I was reading something which claims that good shoes are more important to a survivalist than things like tools and shelter. Generally we can find work arounds for tools and such, but when it comes to footwear, it's quite difficult to make your own good shoes. People who have to spend a lot of time outdoors have always worn shoes, and there's a huge market of decent outdoor shoes now.

Feet are incredibly important, take it from someone who can't use hers right now as one is broken :( So they really need to be looked after with the appropriate footwear as if your ability to walk is limited, so is your ability to survive. They need to be comfortable enough to wear and walk in for many hours at a time, but strong and sturdy enough to protect your feet from dangers on the ground - and slip resistant to avoid any accidents.

In my previous job, I had to wear slip resistant shoes because I worked in a kitchen, and I remember how much safer I felt wearing slip resistant shoes. If you're anything like I was before then, you don't realise just how much of a difference it makes to have shoes designed to stop you from sleeping. They were also incredibly comfortable, which made it easier to be on my feet for 12 hours at a time.

So some people suggest walking/hiking boots, or even work boots - the kind that people wear on construction sites with the steel toes to protect your feet from heavy objects that might fall on them.

Do you agree that they are the number one priority when it comes to survival equipment?

HappyJackSlade and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    No it is NOT difficult to make your own footwear. For short term survival by all means get yourself some decent hiking boots if that is what you prefer. I hate wearing modern footwear & go barefoot in the house. I make my own moccasins, they are light so I can carry a spare pair tied to my pack. Long term modern footwear will not last, & in the wilderness you will HAVE to make your own or you will have to carry a lot of pairs of boots with you.
    Yes good footwear is important, but so is other equipment. Do you want to live a stone age lifestyle wearing hiking boots? Or do you want a more comfortable lifestyle? I don't see why you can't have both. Learn how to make your own moccasins & tie at least one pair on your pack if you do not want to wear them now. Use your hiking boots until they wear out.
    Do bare in mind that modern footwear with a tread will leave a clear sign/trail to follow unless you take care to tread where prints are less likely to show. This will make hard work of your trek.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lee CT NE, Damorale and Correy like this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Surviving will take a toll on any footwear you have so will not last long
    I have a daily pair of boots and two spare pairs, they are good sturdy lightweight boots
    But I can make boots, not the fancy ones you can buy but decent serviceable boots to wear
    Steel caps are too heavy for long treks but ankle support and protection is important so I favour a full high boot over low moccasins
    regular moccasins are ok in most situations where you have time to place your feet
    But in any desperate scramble ankles are the main weak spot!
    I have leather moccasins as camp shoes my sister makes them as a hobby!

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Well, I have crappy feet, and if I don't have some good shoes I will be sunk before I ever get started. So much so, that I have decided to invest in a 2nd pair of my good, supportive, doctor recommended shoes, and just put them in the top of my closet for safe-keeping. There are so many things that are important to survival that it would be hard to name only one thing. But for me, in my situation, the shoes probably do come first.

Damorale likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm fairly heavy on footwear, I walk with a limp due to an old motorcycle injury(1966) and my footwear dosent last long.
    I wear hiking trainer type boots for everyday use and I have a stock of about 6 pairs and these will probably last me 2 years, these are rotated, as soon as I wear out one pair and take another pair from my stock I replace it by buying another pair. I also have several pairs of heavier boots- Doc Martens, Cat boots and a few others-probably 6 pairs in all, these will be working boots post event.

Damorale likes this.
  6. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Very helpful! I suppose I didn't factor in how quickly even the best hiking shoes could be worn down if you are constantly wearing them. And also how easily traced you would be if you left modern foot prints. I will probably still aim to have some good solid footwear as I don't dislike modern footwear, but I will absolutely take on the advice to learn how to make my own shoes.

7. HappyJackSlade

HappyJackSlade Well-Known Member
      90/115

Blog Posts:
    I've always kept a sewing skewel in my kit. I've used it to repair, clothing, shoes , heavy leather gear also. For me tools and shelter are allot more important, besides most of us will have on a pair of good shoes anyways. You'll be amazed at how a good set of gumboots in the back of your vehicle can come in handy. They will often do the job better than most footware out there. Just look at farmers whom ware them in wet weather conditions

Keith H. likes this.