Do You Think Oral Hygiene Is A High Priority In Emergency Situations?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 3, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    In an emergency situation, say a storm or an earthquake, people usually stock up on food supplies, batteries, and some sort of communication device. But what about oral hygiene? Oral sores from lack of dental care would be an open door for bacteria to enter, and it also leaves you with the inability to fully use your mouth to chew, meaning you get to eat lesser food, while being sick at the same time. Oral hygiene is also not a go-to panic buy item, so you can almost be certain to get a few when you are at the grocery store in the event of a catastrophe.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    In our emergency preparedness kits we do have hygiene supplies packed as well. I guess to me (living in a very earthquake prone spot right now) that still being able to feel clean would help lower my stress levels and retain some sense of normalcy after an event like that. I think though it would depend on the level of emergency situation. I'm sure in some emergency situations that brushing my teeth would be the last thing on my mind, but again it all depends.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes I think this is important, but it is easy enough to make a toothbrush & a toothpick in a wilderness situation. Pack a toothbrush in your kit by all means, even a tatty toothbrush is better than no brush at all.
    Keith.

4. Lexcion

Lexcion New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I think oral hygiene is important but during an emergency situation, I think most people would have more important things to do than thinking about brushing their teeth. I read about Romans using their own pee to clean teeth by swishing it around in their mouth. Apparently, that cleaned it so I guess you could do that if there weren't any hygiene kits lying around.

5. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Oral hygiene is way over rated!
    It is not an essential and is in the luxury department!
    A want not a need!
    Not brushing your teeth will not give you mouth sores!
    Actually the bacteria in your mouth are the first line of defence against bad germs!
    Cleaning your teeth is like ploughing the field, cleaning it up so weeds can grow!

6. AntwanCeja

AntwanCeja New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes, in my own opinion, it does matter to be just at least aware of how clean your mouth is... it might be hard to keep an eye every single day, but just something to consider checking every two days... you dont want to have a toothache, and the first reason why it happens is because of poor hygiene. there is a way to keep your teeth clean, and that is mixing powdered charcoal with water... I know, I know.. it might sound disturbing and might taste like crap, but trust me, your teeth will look great, and you won't have any bad breath.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  7. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    That's true, in emergency situation, oral hygiene is the least priority because it seemed to be a lesser deal. Our ancestors died younger. Some of the reason the lead them to early death is due to poor oral hygiene. So i guess we need to add toothpaste to our list when crisis kicks in.

8. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Oral hygiene is definitely very crucial. However in a survival situation, except you got a bag packed already, its usually the last thing you think of packing. When you grab your kid, food, water and clothes, then you think of hygiene. I would say you can make do with natural items to clean up if it absolutely impossible to get normal toiletries.

9. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    I want to feel as clean as possible. Oral hygiene is a part of that. If the shtf involves people attempting to attack myself and my family then oral hygiene falls to a lower level. But then later when in a secured area. Its more important

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The action of brushing your teeth will help prevent build up of decaying food in any gaps between your teeth but most modern toothpastes contain ingredients that are classed as irritants in their undiluted form.
    I try to find brands that don't contain whitening additives or sodium laurel sulphate as these can harm our gums.
    If I can't find brands that don't contain harmful chemical additives I will brush with salt water or baking soda on a damp toothbrush. If I use toothpaste I always use the minimum amount possible.
    Saliva is the body's natural way of cleaning your teeth but our modern diet has way too much sugar. If you want good teeth a good idea is to stop wasting money on "products"and cut out sugar.

11. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Using common sense & doing some reading, it seems a good idea to keep your mouth in good shape ( clean, capped & fillings ) prior to any event. Oral issues can be crippling during a bad situation with no access to dentistry. That said my wife is an RN & is always on top of us in that dept. A brush & floss are easily stowed in a BOB. paste or powders can be easily improvised later if need be.

12. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Oral hygiene is always something that should be taken into consideration (after all, many serious problems can arise because of poor hygiene :(), however, it's necessary to consider what is the emergency level of the situation because other factors can easily be prioritized as more important. :cool:

13. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    If you're travelling and you buy insurance make sure it covers evacuation for dental. I have been caught out once and it cost me a molar. I developed a dental abscess and had to remove it myself. It was a lot more difficult to get out then I expected at first because the abscess had made it feel quite loose but those roots were long.
    Blood and puss all over the place but I've never felt such relief.