Does anyone know a good gun ammo storage cabinet?

Discussion in 'Ammo - Types, Usage, Reloading, ETC.' started by branchd77, Oct 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone know a good ammo storage cabinet or how to make one.? What should I look for in an ammo storage cabinet? Is it better to buy or make? I'm new to long term ammo storage so any information would be great.

2. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    We usually get surplus ammo boxes for sale quite regularly here in SA. Have you tried looking for some of those on say Gunbroker or other sites?

sekelbos likes this.
  3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Ammo box's should be timber and not airtight just air restricted! don't want to make a pressure vessel with combustables inside!
    If it will be stored in a hostile environment a few layers of timber helps!

Mekada likes this.
  4. branchd77

257/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I was thinking about making one. We have so much extra wood on our property.

5. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
  6. branchd77

257/345

Blog Posts:
  7. Mekada

270/345

Blog Posts:
    No problem!

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I just stack my ammo in closets and various nooks and crannies all over my house. I don't worry about whether or not it is in a box and air tight is ok. Ammo boxes are air tight. I have a lot of ammo that is sealed air tight in big sardine cans. US military ammo packs come in air tight sealed plastic. The big thing is to keep it out of high humidity and excessive heat but that said in Iraq there ain't no cool places during the summer! Ammo is pretty well sealed when it is made. You stuff a bullet into a case that is a tight fit and then squeeze it or crimp it even tighter. Guns need to be cleaned regularly but don't really require a lot of special treatment for storage. I have a safe, a gun cabinet and a couple of gun racks...then there are handguns in drawers in every room and several shotguns sitting out as well. The safe is to keep them safe from theft. The cabinet and racks are for keeping them out of kids reach but the rest are available for quick access. They sell big plastic locker boxes at a lot of stores you can put your ammo in them and have it all together. For your best guns you need either a gun safe or a hiding hole for them. Before I bought the safe I had a false wall in the end of a closet and my beds pedestal was a gun locker. You had to move the mattress and box springs then pull 4 wood screws to open it. Some of my guns are not something that I will need in ordinary situations.

9. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Ours and many other militaries have been using steel cans to store ammo for decades. So that is what I use. It keeps the ammo dry and the cans are stored in a cool dry place. I also mark my cans with type and quantity.

10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Large wooden crates for recoiless rifle shells are available.
    The crates come with rope handles on both ends. I have a few and note that you can store tools and all manner of non-delicate items in these; I do. I'm much like Tool-Time Tim on the TV show. Watch out how much ammo you put in one of these, the crate will get too heavy. Let's say you put steel parts and big steel winches in there -- you'll have to put wheels on the crate to roll it. Put wheels on the end of one of these crates and they become a storage box / two-wheel dolly. If the latch is still good, or you repair the latch, you can lock it so that kids can't just open one up -- kids will never be able to pick one up or even scoot one.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=135161.0

sunnytn likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    To store ammo within your house, the best plan is to purchase a fire safe. You don't want ammo going off while the fire department is attempting to put out a blaze. The cases and projectiles will not be dangerous, but ammo adds to the intensity of a fire. Put the fire safe down in the basement and inside it have a anti-mildew warming rod.

sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  12. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I keep my ammunition in a gun safe.
    Keith.

13. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    It would also depend on how much ammo you plan on storing, that will make a big difference in how you'll want to store it.

14. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Ammo cans from wal mart or harbour freight plastic ones under 10 bucks at both places 50cal metal ones. Under 20 at harbour frieght a metal locker used is cheap and locks fill both in cool dry place with moisture packs in can long term storeage no problem stashes in pill bottles with moisture packs sealed in pvc pipe buried below frost line long term storeage fine deep bury is so ground movement will not pop out of cover and metal detectors will not find many iteams stashed in pvc pipe whatever fits can be stashed. I have many rounds stashed and stored and other stashes of iteams for just in case

15. sarky

sarky Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    For buried caches I use PVC pipe 4" Dia. with a screw access cap on one end. I use teflon tape on the threads and silicon over the top. Most of the cans you see in the chain stores are the .30 cal or the .50 cal. While I use those ( mostly because I got them free when I served) I love the 40mm grenade can for storing both pistol and rifle center fire ammo. They wind up being heavier than a filled 50 or 30 cal but it does have 2 handles to carry it by. And when you bury your cache of ammo, mix some nails and such in the dirt at different levels above your cache.

sunnytn likes this.
  16. NKAWTG

NKAWTG Well-Known Member
      85/115

Blog Posts:
    SecureIt Tactical Model 52

17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Bury empty crushed cans all over the place on your property. Use a spading shovel to raise the topsoil a bit, insert flat can, push surface back -- this will cause no harm to forest floor (I come from the Land of Red Clay, i.e. the Earth there is already soaked with iron, massive iron deposits in the bedrock).

Create as many false positives as possible for anyone with a metal detector. Your idea of putting metal above the real storage can is very good. So what are the searchers going to do, dig up 200+ false signals?, backhoe 5 acres of land?! When people mess with you, mess with them.

I read that you too are an American. The fellows who wrote the Constitution are behind you 100% from the next world. The ONLY way of ensuring a semi-peaceful existence for the human species is to distribute, balance-out, physical power. For those who don't understand this basic reality, well, they are never going to grow up. This isn't cynicism, this is human neuropsychology 101. When a bully shows up on the playground, all the kids should gang-up on this idiot and put him back in his place. The kids will have thus saved the idiot's life when he becomes an adult, because being an aggressor in adulthood will most assuredly get you imprisoned or killed.

18. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    For stashes i use caps well glued screw caps can and will let water in yes cuting open is a hassel but good dry stash is a plus

19. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts: