Does anyone know an easy to make or natural mosquito repellant?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by crmeche2, Jun 14, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. crmeche2

crmeche2 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    My daughter found one for dogs using lemon juice as the base, and I was wondering if there was something that could be made for humans that is simple to make and could be made from ingredients that can be easily found or ready at hand. I live in a watery area, and mosquitoes are a real problem.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest for post shtf that you use animal fat or mud.
    Keith.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Plant called citronila keeps pest away it was the base of what bug repel made of check spell that but the plant is out there and it works

4. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Citronella. Works best marigolds catnip lemon lilacs. All work

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    We keep a big pot of citronella on the patio right by the door to the kitchen. This keeps the mosquitos from rushing in the house when we open the door. It works very well and, though it has a strong smell, it is not a noxious odor. It is kind of a sweet/sour smell. Another important thing to do is to look for any containers with trapped water, and pour them out. This eliminates their breeding ground and so, far fewer mosquitos.

6. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Animal fat or mud? That's weird, why would you do that? I'm honestly wondering because I don't see how it could help to cover yourself in mud. Well in a way I do because I guess bugs won't mess with your skin if your covered in mud. It just seems like you have to be covered all the time on order to prevent getting bit up through out the day.

Then there is the animal fat, how does that work as well because I never heard of that. It's really interesting that you mention that, where did you get that idea from?

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    get a head net.

8. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    Eat a lot of raw garlic. Most insects are repelled by the smell that permeates off of your skin after digestion. So chop it up in fine bits and eat a healthy dosage full. Garlic is also good to lower your blood pressure. Soldiers in the bush are instructed to eat it when in the field.

773j_tjkd5Vt78MHshmGDv95PAeS814R.jpeg

sunnytn likes this.
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Catnip, lemon grass and marigold flower are natural mosquito repellent. Make a paste of any of these plant and apply thinly on your skin when you go to sleep. Mosquito will not disturb you. You can also have catnip, lemon grass or marigold flower in your bed room.

10. emmaruthnagano

emmaruthnagano New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Certain plants that you can combine and mix with water. Then, spray it all over your body. You will be mosquito free

11. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Lemon grass also works but the best and natural way to repell mosquitos is citronella. Plant it all over you house. Plus make a mosquito trap. This would help control the population of mosquitos.