Does This Diy Desalinator Really Work As Shown On Youtube?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by daniel007, Aug 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. daniel007

daniel007 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello. Do these salt water desalinators really work as shown? Thank you!

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    The principal is sound, the application is another story. The distillation process will require some trial and error experimenting.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Daniel 007,

We have a boat (for a group) size Katedyn RO Survivor 06, smallest size they make.

From memory, before we bought above, the small consumer models like pictured above, do work but little fresh water for the effort and the time required..

Elaborate on your requirements / planning objectives, and maybe ideas can be developed here.

Welcome to MSF.COM !

Transmitting from coastal Virginia

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wonder how many ounces of water you can get from a can of Sterno? I have a feeling that this would end up being a long and drawn out thing and possibly create more sweat than water. I know for a fact that it takes a long time and a LOT of fuel to boil a gallon of water to steam. Try it some time with a pot on a stove. If you are in a boat I don't know how much fuel you will have for this and whether you could turn that fuel into a comparable amount of drinking water. If you are on land there are a lot of easier and better ways to get fresh water.

71d7c6f9eef4562ec674d4a7e0d59789.jpeg

A solar still will distill freshwater from saltwater via condensation. From what I have read the amount of effort that most of the desalinators that are manually powered they are only worthwhile in lifeboats where it is do-it or die and even then it is a full-time effort for very small amounts of water.

Other possibilities...

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/survival/wilderness/how-to-find-water3.htm

https://www.watercheck.biz/products...table Solar Water Still Desalinator | $259.95

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    SOLAR+DISTILLATION+STILLS+FOR+PURE+DRINKING+WATER.jpg I saw this and can't find who sells them. Anyone know?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    http://www.solarwaterstill.co.uk/

I imagine it would be fairly simple to design something similar for use anywhere made from plastic bins

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Snyper,

Yes, they're fairly simple to make and rig up.

Before my prep co-op got a couple of group RO water makers, I made a kit. Like TexDan's diagram above with the French words, my sheet covering the hole was a dry-cleaner's bag the thick one's, not the Saran type flimsey type implicated in baby deaths. The tubing was from Walmart's pet section for fish tanks and my weights were the standard stuff I would carry any way.

They just take too long to collect too little and the effort fatigues the already-fatigued body and mind.

My prepper philosophy is not to rely on this small distillation program.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. duke in wales

duke in wales Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Solar stills don't work that well in reality, you'll get some water but its not often you'll get anywhere near your daily requirements, you'll often loose more water setting them up than you will get back.