Don't Overlook it, Hand to Hand combat In Urban Survival

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Carter, Jun 10, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Carter

Carter New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    In an urban survival situation you should never overlook the possibility of getting in a close quarters battle (CQB). Everyone leaving the city or wherever you live trying to find safety all have one same goal in mind; survival. That's why if it came down to it you have to be prepared to fight.
    Obviously I can't go over every single Karate, Judo, etc. move there is because that would take forever. But if your serious about this type of prepping I would recommend you take a class to learn about things like hand to hand fighting. But for those who don't have the money or time than you have still come to the right place.

Weapons: one of the most effective weapons you can carry legally would probably be a gun but if you are not confident with weapons like guns then I would recommend investing in a knife or pepper spray. They are both very effective as force multipliers in a CQB situation.

Fighting Hand to Hand: Now to the good parts of this thread. In order to fight hand to hand you need to learn basic compound movements which I will teach now. A face palm is very effective in a CQB situation it can be thrown straight out at the attackers nose to cause bleeding, stagger, etc.. An elbow strike is very effective for a knockout blow to the attacker I would recommend throwing this when very close to the attacker specifically half of your arms length. The last and final blow I would recommend is a knee stomp, this move is preformed when you jam four foot down into the opponents knee and is very effective against a rushing attacker as well as hard for your attacker to block/ catch your leg. This post is already pretty long but hopefully you learned something send me a comment if you would like more like these. Thanks.

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    The safest choice is to have a firearm and a melee weapon like a knife or machete with you, like any soldier or prepper nowadays. Bringing both with you provides enough versatility to survive violent situations, or for hunting. Of course, as everything, you should have some grasp to proplery use them. Hand to Hand is very risky without training and is almost
    a suicide against dangerous and strong animals.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I am not a martial artist and have no training whatsoever except for riding a horse. I understand this situation where a disaster strikes a city and everything goes haywire. That hand-to-hand combat has a reason and I don't think people would be that violent for nothing. The primary crux for fighting is food, shortage or lack of it. In those situations, it is best to be away from the crowds and don't join looting unless you are prepared to be injured. In some reports of looting and rioting in our country in the recent years, those injured were mostly ordinary people with no background of martial arts and has no muscles to speak of.

In an actual experience recounted by our housemaid, the looting involves able-bodied people who were in a scramble for anything they could find in the abandoned mall. But there was no fighting because most of the looters know each other. However, they have the opinion that when hunger has gotten worse, the looting will turn into rioting.

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand fighting!
    Up close and personal stuff!
    My advice! long loose sleeves covering leather and steel forearm guards with two sharp thin daggers strapped to the inside, these should be light thin cheap and disposable!
    these leather guards will protect you from slashing from blades, bites from dogs and bashing from baseball bats!
    With four disposable knives you can just stab and run!
    The best knife is the one your opponent has no idea you have!:D

5. barbecueIt

barbecueIt New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I would love to read more about hand to hand combat, Carter! This is a necessary skill that everyone should learn to protect yourself even in a "simple" situation like mugging. As for the weapon, a long sturdy piece wood can be a lethal weapon when you know which part of the attacker's body to hit. I believe there is a martial arts for this already named arnis.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a prepper/survival context, if you have to resort to hand to hand you've run out of options, you have let your guard down, your situational awareness has let you down and its fight or die, or maybe fight AND die.

7. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, CQC is a very important skill for even day to day life. You'll never know when someone wants to pick a fight with you, or you get into a sticky situation. I've heard that in a lot of ways, practicing them can be therapeutic, fun, and interesting. What kid didn't want to practice Karate as a kid? And there's a ton more fighting styles besides that, you can supplement in. Knowing how to disarm someone, fight against multiple people, or even just one on one combat, could save your life. I think it's one of the skills that really shouldn't be understated. Of course you can carry a close quarters weapon like pepper spray on you, to save yourself some trouble of learning a martial art, but either way it is highly important.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes, maybe if your in a street gang it might be, but in a survival scenario the idea is not to put yourself at even the slightest chance of injury, in this context avoidance is the best policy. if you get into a fight and get injured, how would that help your family or group back home? the point is to not put yourself into these situations to begin with.

9. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Isn't that the point of being better than your opponent? You can say you'll always be prepared and you'll always avoid the situations, but some are impossible to avoid. It's better to be well trained and well equipped to defend yourself, then not at all. What if you end up in a situation where there is no escape, and there was no way to prepare for it, and now you're stuck there with no training how to get out? It's actually being more prepared than anything to be able to CQC properly. It doesn't mean you HAVE to use it, but if you need to use it, it'll be worth it. There's no downside to knowing how to defend yourself, if you do happen to get into those situations.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe if one is in an urban situation and have just walked around a corner without checking it first I suppose it is a possibility.
    but in a post apocalypse situation unless its an army patrol who maintain absolute silence I am sure one would hear them coming and take avoiding action, either going another way or hiding until they had passed.

11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Toast
    I assume you are young and lack experience!
    Yes MA can help you but the confidence it brings also gets youngsters in trouble!
    Yes you should already have many years of MA training under your belt by now! if not why not?
    What you need more though is Situational Awareness!
    Avoidence beats the crap out of recovery win or lose!
    Do you really need to be out at 2am? and has it got to be Friday or Saturday night?
    Yes you are entitled to go out whenever you like wherever you like but do you need to?
    I don't have trouble Friday or Saturday nights because I stay home!

lonewolf likes this.
  12. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Look up any books by Bruce Tegner. Tegner is dead but his books are excellent in how they are laid out and easy to understand. He won all sorts of judo contests and so on while he was alive. The man was a martial arts phenomena. Top of the line when it comes to hand-to-hand fighting.

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    for once Arkane I agree with you.
    the trick is not to put yourself in that situation in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  14. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    H-t-h combat is a pain in the rear and extremely dangerous. That's why WW2 paratroopers had love affairs with their entrenching tools, knives and other cutting and stabbing tools. WW2 Special Forces troopers had a special knife made for them called the V-42 stiletto. It got its basic design from the British Commando dagger only the V-42 was larger, longer and had a skull buster at one end. The Special Forces troopers were taught to fight with the V-42 knife by a Canadian sergeant who had worked with the Hong Kong Police prior to the war. He helped designed the knife complete with a "thumbprint" on the blade to show or remind the troopers where to put their fighting hand thumb.

By the way, both of my knives are replicas. To buy the originals you would have to pay over a thousand U.S. dollars for an original V-42 knife.

Attached Files:

15. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    This thread is spot on because if you are competent in hand to hand close quarters combat, 80% of your urban insecurities have been solved. For a start, its good to do some bodybuilding because deterrence is the best option. One can take classes in martial arts. A good instruction guide book can be sourced from the world famous martial arts expert Kaizerali Karimbhai in bookshops.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hand to hand may be possible, I say MAY, if you are military trained, but for most civilians its an action of last resort when you have been caught off guard and have been infiltrated, and is your last option. its not a situation that any civilian should want to get into .

Keith H. likes this.
  17. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I am with Lonewolf, best to avoid the situations. I am not going to wander around an urban area that I am not familiar with and isolated, and that is even with legally carrying a firearm. Most people that are inclined to attack you unprovoked are likely cowards and not alone, so you would need to be able to fend of more than one attacker most likely. If you are required to be in a spot that might present such dangers, again remember most bad guys are cowards, so walk confidently and alertly, and you won't look like an easy target, which is what they are looking for.

Keith H. likes this.
  18. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    even in the good times I rarely go anywhere near a city and post SHTF i'm going nowhere near an urban centre, too dangerous, especially if you don't know your way around, the bad guys will know every nook, cranny and hiding place.

Keith H. likes this.
  19. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I say fight dirty.
    Really dirty.
    That includes sledge hammers.
    If you accidentally seriously injure him or kill him and have to explain it to cops, hey at least you're the one explaining it and not 6 feet under.

20. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hand to hand combat is always risky, our instructor once told me that there will always be someone who is better than we are. I am an old man now, & I can't move as fast or as well as I used to. I am glad that I was trained in hand to hand combat, but I hope I never have to depend on it.
    Keith.

Dunmaghlas likes this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hand to hand combat isn't an option at my age, I never was a fighter anyway, I prefer to avoid confrontation if at all possible, which is okay for where I live but might not be an option for those who live in a more urban environment.

Keith H. likes this.
  22. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same for a lot of older people I would think, hand to hand combat is simply not worth the risk if you can avoid it.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  23. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Unless you're very very good at hand to hand conflict resolution...then you better shed the notion of engaging someone and think more realistically about immediate escape.

I don't want to be the burster of any bubbles here...but just about everyone coming out of the dojo having spent a year or two learning whatever martial art is trendy this year is still woefully unprepared to fight it out with one, let alone more than one, dedicated street brawler, or University Of Corrections trained fighter.

99% of the people walking around you are not accustomed to, or even remotely familiar with immediate, overwhelming, and destructive criminal violence. Those of that 99% who are....we call them "victims" in law enforcement.

You may have been the tough guy in high school because you had a tussle or two that was really a pushing and shoving match that devovled into a wrestling match and you were declared the winner because you might have landed one good punch or gave your opponent a bloody nose...but it was just a tussle, but it cemented your reputation in school as a "badass" but more than that, and more detrimentally, it gave you the false and silly notion that you were a fighter.

You probably still have some silly notion of the Marquess of Queensberry rules of fighting and think that you can slug it out and prevail. Sorry. You're a victim.

The reality is...yes...the reality...is that a truly violent encounter is often carried out by ambuscade, or by an attack my multiple aggressors and no matter how many Chuck Norris movies you have seen, or videos you have watched on the internet...you are still...yes...a victim. Your year or two of hobby martial arts that have been packaged and sold to you will allow you to maybe survive in the fight for one extra second over the regular sheep. Mostly, this will be because the ones attacking you will be laughing while you HIYAAAA! and get into your perfect dojo stance and start a kata. I have seen time and time again, the so-called tough guy get hit one time, just one time...and turn into a whining little bitch.

I have been hit so hard in the line of duty that I saw the proverbial stars and wanted to whine like a little bitch...and I have had some of the best police training in the modern world. The only thing that saved me was my ASP baton and my ability to employ it skillfully even after being hit like a truck.

(The Crane Technique as taught my Mister Myagi to Daniel San...doesn't really work)

So...put the notion of hand to hand combat away.

Think more about efficient use of deadly force in order to avoid having to go "hand to hand". In a P-SHTF world WORL...then any violent encounter is going to be a lethal force encounter by necessity. You can't afford to fight hand to hand, and even in the highly unlikely event that you somehow aren't killed...you will suffer a mechanical injury that will severely hamper your ability to function. Add the real probability of an infection from the cuts and bruises you will sustain, then you can see how it is still a losing proposition.

I have 30 years of experience dealing with violent criminals. One thing I learned is that no matter how many years of high level, professional training I have...when you go hands on...you always get hurt. Always. It is the one thing that is assured as an outcome of a fight. You. Get. Hurt. You may even kill your attacker...but you die soon afterward. That is a "bad tie".

So, what do you do especially for a SHTF scenario? You concentrate on gaining real skill with that which will give you the highest probability of survival. What is that? Usually, it is a gun in a caliber that is most likely to deliver a stopping wound. Personally, if I know I am going to be in a fight...I am taking a rifle. In fact, if history has told me anything...if I am going to get into a fight, I am taking a rifle and some other folks who are trained as well as I am, dressed like I am, and they will be bringing their rifles as well.

The worst place to try to learn new skills is in the middle of a fight, and if you're fighting fair then your tactics suck. If you're in a fist fight using your fists instead of a gun, then your tactics suck even worse.

Personally...I will use all my training and street smarts to identify whether or not you are in a "pre-assaultive" mode, or if you are in a "submissive-passive" mode. If you are in a pre-assaultive mode, then I am not going to go hands on with you...I am simply going to blow a hole in you big enough to toss a puppy through, and I will repeat it as necessary on anyone who is with you.

What I will NOT do is fuck around playing fisticuffs and going hand to hand. If you get really lucky and surprise me and lay a hand on me...then I will stick a very large, very sharp, and very nasty knife into your guts, eye, testicles, heart, lungs, liver...whatever is available to me, then I will shoot you (see again the hole big enough to throw a puppy through). If I can get to one of my pistols before my knife...then Two Thumbs Up and Happy Meal...but it isn't going to be a fair fight, and I am not going to give you or anybody else a chance.

So you live in a "gun free paradise"...that sucks for you, and I am sorry. You are not allowed to legally possess a defensive tool of any wort because the government in "paradise" doesn't trust you with one. So, what do you do?

You get creative. I mean, you get creative NOW before you have to figure it out "live" (refer back to learning new skills in the middle of a fight).

Have you ever seen a small fire extinguisher in EVERY building you have gone into? How could that be useful? I dunno...maybe spray them with the white foam, then beat them to death with the red METAL can? No, it ain't a gun or a knife...but blunt force trauma delivered via steel canister is a pretty good introduction to "repeated concussive brain injury".

Do you know of anyone who was prosecuted for carrying an "assault fire extinguisher"....even in paradise?

How about a mobility aid such as a brass tipped cane? No, it is far from ideal, but if you get over the notion of not being able to hit someone in the throat, jam it into their eyes, or hit them with every ounce of force you can muster in the temple...it might get you a few seconds to escape. Maybe, maybe not...but fuck going to fisticuffs. I am going to hit you with the biggest, nastiest club I can lay hands on.

Have you ever walked your dog with a rock the size of a baseball, or cricket ball in your hand? That rock, smashed into someone's temple is a pretty good way to avoid having to hit them with your fists...especially if you strike hard and immediately.

What about a simple combination lock with a regular old handkerchief tied through the loop? Not only is it good for securing your bike....but when swung with enough force...it will break the bones of the average human skull.

Screw martial arts and hand to hand nonsense. Arm yourself with whatever you can as an improvised weapon if you can't carry or access a gun.

Dunmaghlas likes this.