Doritos for kindling?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by tb65, Jun 22, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I recently found out that people are using Doritos for kindling. Who knew that many peoples favorite snack is actually flammable. Although this might not be practical for all survival situations you sure can get your grill started with these. Still no one ever did a review on how starting a fire with Doritos can flavor your charcoal . The next time you go camping you should bring a couple of bags of Doritos with you to start a fire and for a snack too.

2. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    You can just keep a cheese grater somewhere and make sawdust from certain sticks. Sawdust is extremely flammable and is way better for kindling than you might imagine. The oxygen between the dust particles creates a chain combustion effect that produces a lot of energy at once, but sawdust is a bit much. Little shreds work better because dust might fireball into your face.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Well for most survival situations... wait... for pretty much every situation whether it's survival or just a nice bbq at home or anything in between: I prefer to eat the doritos and use something else to get the fire going. :p It's an interesting fact but I don't really see it as a useful one, especially for someone like me who is addicted to doritos. :D

4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Haha don't talk about it too loud because if a Frito-Lay CEO read this, will come up with the idea of selling a "Doritos kindling edition", and in the marketing campaign they will show a lot of happy preppers having a snack and starting a fire. And afterwards, will pay for survival "experts" to endorse their product. I can imagine Bear Grylls using doritos.

5. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This is a pretty interesting fact. I might definitely have to try it sometime for fun. I mean, it can come in handy around a campfire. This would be especially good if they were stale so you couldn't eat them anyway. :)

6. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This post made me laugh! The sad thing is that it is true. I can imagine the commercials. It would be a whole new direction for Doritos super bowl commercials.

7. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree most people would find it hard to save the Doritos for the fire. I think that this info is very useful if you have some self control, but then again I can't blame you if you don't. Doritos are delicious.;)

8. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    LOL that would be really cool. I could imagine Bear Grylls doing a Doritos commercial. A kindling edition that's genius LOL

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I cant stand Doritos.

katlarson9 likes this.
  10. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess using them to start a fire would be a practical use for you. And I do mean a fire for camping.

11. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe, but i'll just bring my kindling bag instead.

12. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Hey suit yourself.

13. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Wise lays most chips are very flameable

14. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I love Doritos and would have never thought that you could use it for kindling.
    However, I would probably take them with me thinking I will use it for kindling but then end up eating them lol.
    In that case I would have to have something else to replace it and would then use sawdust I guess.

15. Karen Martin

Karen Martin New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I recently discovered that about a year ago that Doritos can start a flame and can be served for many purposes besides a snack with a loud odor! It's always something like this that gives me the wow factor!

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    duraglit, wire wool, cotton balls, pine cones, are all good for tinder.

17. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    This is quite funny. I guess they flammable because they are greasy?

18. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Blashphemy! :D

But yeah, if you don't like them then I'm sure you can find someone who will. :p Bartering with doritos could get you a lot of things if the SHTF.

19. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm starting to think this may be why I get heart burn when I eat too many of these. I really like these but if they can start a fire they may not be to healthy. I really try do eat these sparingly, the loud odor may have something to do with them being flammable. :eek:

20. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Doritos chips may make good kindling, but in some cases, using them as such may defeat the purpose. It all depends on how bad that you want to cook that hand full of wild nuts. If you have nothing to gain from the fire besides a light snack, then I strongly suggest you just eat the Doritos chips instead.

21. katlarson9

katlarson9 New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I guess this is the reason why Doritos are known to cause inflammation. I do not know if this is a stupid question, but are the flavors that are considered hotter to the taste buds more flammable? Either way, after hearing those I doubt that doritos are any good for the body since in the 70s they had to add feces to their ingredients due to bats in their factories providing us with a rampant supply of guano that they could not get rid of.

22. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha I just posted on another thread how I read about this in Mental Floss! I would think that the carcinogens like Yellow #5 would keep it burning for some time. The grains in the chips probably help with that slow burn. I might just have to try this one out myself this 4th when we have a BBQ and someone brings chips to the party! I will try to post pics!

23. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Provided there are any Doritos left :D it makes sense that would make good kindling. They are very fatty and should burn well. Now giving flavor to charcoal, I don't know if it does that but I'm willing to give it a try.