Drones For Disasters

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Aug 29, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump / bounce

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think drones will be beneficial in search and rescue but will be very bad as a recon tool. Too loud and must fly to close to the ground to use I.R. technology. If you live in the open plains, then they may be a value from a long distance viewpoint. No I.R. but able to spot movement from a high altitude. The biggest downfall of drones is they can be followed back to their launch point.

4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon TMT Tactical,

Interesting point of view and tech info re IR.

I was thinking of small drone to recon a suitable path for an evac by pods in boots and possibly to recon a building for me to see inside if it's abandoned / safe.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    At one point, I had planned on drones for scouting and recon. The current affordable (below $3,000) drones had to fly too low / close to the ground to be able to viably use I.R. cameras. The drones could become the new clay pigeon, flying well within shotgun range. As for EVAC building searches, the noise level is very high and would provide advanced warning for people to simply step into a closet.

6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good points,

I won't be here when initial industry stabilizes but saw small model that could be outfitted with heat seeking instrument eg body heat.

It would still be better to evacuee for the acft to be lost to a shotgun blast than me personally checking if the boathouse is empty.

What I saw on display was for fire departments and related. Affordability not involved to the big cities and counties.

7. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    For search and rescue, the drones will be outstanding. For individual recon and scouting during a SHTF event, they will be an expensive liability. In the boat house, no shotgun needed, simply smack it with an oar, The shotgun use is for when the drone is scouting out in the field or forest. I agree I would rather lose a drone vs. myself but it's value in a SHTF event is very limited. I was very disappointed when I did my research, I had really, really hoped the drone would be a good tool during a bad time.

8. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Must maintain the hope.

The US is testing these things at an Israeli base with a section of buildings to experiment on just these same issues.

I'm not addressing costs to the individual as of now. Just the maintenance and support systems can't be minor.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The better the drone, the more complex the drone. The more complex, the more maintenance required. Still would be really nice to be able to afford some of those top of the line drones.

10. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The Black Hornet very impressive, now if I can win the Lottery.