Duct Tape....nylon Chord..

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by watcherchris, Apr 27, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Soon enough we will be going into Hurricane season...here on the East Coast of the USA.

I intend to go by the hardware stores and purchase about ten bags of 50 foot length nylon chord about three sixteenth inch diameter for uses around here..particular as hurricane preps though I also use them in hoisting up antennas I build for my ham radio.

I also intend to buy about six rolls of duct tape to replace my aging stocks. I find duct tape to be particularly useful in the home and also out in my garage year round and these stocks need to be rotated.

Both of these items do not go to waste around here ...though I also have rope of bigger diameters and strengths.

One of the things I have done here at my place and also my parents place is when my hurricane preps are done and it is time to hunker down..... is use this three sixteenth diameter nylon rope in several strands to tie the screen door by the handle through the door jam and onto the inside door ...thus securing it further in the winds. This is not a total solution but helps should the wind get ahold of the door and break the locking mechanism.

However ...one should always have a knife on ones person should you have to cut the chord quickly and evacuate. I always try to keep a folder on me 24/7...as I use it often at work...and home.

My non Ishmaelte .02,

Watcherchris

Morgan101, lalakai and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Duct Tape, paracord, wire zip ties, and baling wire can cover a lot of bases in an emergency.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have found that the duct tape we can get isn't as good as it used to be, I now buy farm (silage) tape at our local farm store, paracord is very useful and has many uses in the garden and for survival purposes, I don't buy nylon rope as such as this tends to stretch under load I buy sash cord which does not stretch, zip ties known as cable ties here are handy for many things, not sure what is known as baling wire but I have a huge coil of baling twine which will probably last me out!

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Baling wire is a soft single strand 14 ga. steel wire that in the old days they used to hold square bales of hay together. You can wrap it around something and then twisting it does basically the same as zip ties. Back before duct tape, paracord and zip ties people used baling wire much the same way to do emergency repairs to all sorts of things. I still find it a lot stronger and longer lasting for outdoor repairs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have found current production of THE big-name duct-tape suppliers to be of inferior quality. I've lately bought gaffers tape of expensive quality to get what I need strength wise, adhesive quality wise.

My dad and I had to strap down HEAVY items. Nylon stretches. Don't use it unless you don't mind it stretching. 100%, it will stretch. Back in the 1960's he used Manila rope that had been chemically treated to not rot -- and it didn't rot. It didn't stretch

Today there are man-made fibers that are unbelievably strong and will not stretch. Note that places that sell paracord are often selling knock-off crap that could prove very dangerous. These tension levels will get you killed. Get the real stuff. Below, I'm gonna provide one link to a supplier of mil spec rope. There are no doubt others, however I've had multiple good dealings with this supplier. I've bought several different ropes and mini-ropes. The smallest "strings" will cut through the flesh of your hand. I've had to buy larger diameters, not because I needed more strength, but because I need something that I could better see, better get a hold of. Like I said, this stuff will cut you, it can cut through your gloves. I grab the tiny stuff with needle-nose locking pliers. The tiny stuff, you can sew with using leather-sewing needles, the BIG needles. Not gonna break, the material will break before the "thread".

https://atwoodrope.com/products/parapocalypse?variant=4959009898533

https://atwoodrope.com/collections/550-paracord

https://atwoodrope.com/collections/nano-cord

You want it, they got it. Select the "Shop" folder and you'll get a three-column listing of all kinds of rope. Under each type, you can select more colors than is rational for them to offer -- you want pink rope of military strength, they got it; want fuchsia rope that will pick up and swing an anvil, they got it. Wow, on the subject of "spoiled Americans" ... Military, equine, arborist, marine, dog leashes, ...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you buy paracord the REAL stuff will be labeled according to its strength. The most common is 550 but I also use 850 and even the smaller 95 lb. Military spec 550 paracord has 7 inner strands while 850 has 8 or 9. Made in America is generally a lot more consistent and trustworthy while cord made in China can be anything. Real paracord has individual cords inside where the cheap stuff often filled with untwisted lose nylon strands. Sometimes it isn't even nylon and polyester just isn't the same thing.

lalakai and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://atwoodrope.com/products/parapocalypse?variant=4959009898533

Parapocalypse

SPECS:

Rope Diameter - 5/32 in / 4 mm

Tensile Strength - 625 lbs / 283.5 kg

Weight (oz/100ft) - 10.25 oz / 290 g

MADE IN THE USA

$17 / 50ft

$250 / 1,000 ft.

97ec7d5f18d304d008fedf5d2a123323.jpeg

Eleven lines:

WAXED JUTE

Used for kindle to easily start your fire. The wax keeps it dry and ready to use.

DYNA X 160LB

Use for ultra strong and low-stretch applications such as animal snares, hoisting or emergency situations.

NANO ARAMID 110 LB TEST

Use for cooking over a fire using a rotisserie method, cut through materials using a friction saw or to repair a dragging muffler on your car.

7-STRAND NYLON CORE

Remove from sheath for additional cordage with varying purposes.

MONO FISHING LINE 10 LB

Catch your fish and survive the elements.

TMT Tactical and TexDanm like this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://atwoodrope.com/collections/3-8/products/3-8-black

3/8 Utility
    3/8" is one of the most versatile sized ropes on the planet. It's strong, durable, and large enough to grip securely, yet lightweight, and compact for storage and mobility. The construction enables great knot holding capabilities and abrasion resistance. This design resists flattening under loads and maintains it's flexibility.

Specs
    • 3/8" / 9.5mm diameter
    • Tensile strength - 1200 lbs / 544 kg
    • Weight (oz/50ft) - 16oz / 454g
    • Long Lasting & Durable
    • Full Fiber Core / Multi-Filament Fiber
    • Color will not run or bleed
    • UV, chemical, rot & mildew resistant
    • Synthetic & lightweight
    • Floats
    • Made in the USA

Comes in too many colors, anything imaginable, and of course several camo designs.
    Note: NOT LIFE LINE

9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://atwoodrope.com/collections/kevlar-aramid/products/550-x-100ft-paracord-kevlar-blue

7 Strand Kevlar Paracord
    More than double the strength of regular 550 paracord.

Kevlar paracord is super strong and heat resistant. Kevlar has been used in bullet proof vests for years and now you can have some of that same strength too! We have taken the same high-tech fiber and made a rope that is super strong--1250lbs test! It is lightweight and heat resistant up to 900 degrees F.

Specs
    • Tensile strength - 1250 lbs / 600 kg
    • Weight (oz/50ft) - 8 oz / 227 g
    • Long Lasting & Durable
    • 7 strand core
    • Heat resistant
    • Lightweight & strong
    • Made in the USA

Colors: not a great a variety
    Max length: 100ft sections
    NOT LIFE LINE
    =========================================================
    https://atwoodrope.com/collections/kevlar-aramid/products/550-paracord-kevlar-dyna-x

Dyna X Paracord
    As if Paracord wasn't amazing enough, Atwood Rope brings you Dyna X.
    Made from one of the world's strongest fibers UHMWPE (Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight-PolyEthylene); the same material being used in the next generation bullet proof vests.

The real power of Dyna X Paracord is its ability to be much lighter, stronger, and more durable than regular 550 Paracord. Its composition allows it to float on water and nearly zero stretch before breaking.

With more than two times the minimum breaking strength as 550 Paracord, Dyna X is bringing the next level of survival cord to you, empowering you to achieve more with a new extremely strong and superior quality cord.

Specs
    • 1250 Lbs MBS
    • 140 Lbs MBS Per Core
    • 575 Lbs ( sheath only )
    • 7 Strand Braided Cores
    • Ultra Strong and Ultra Low Elongation ( Stretch )
    • Lightweight
    • Super Slick
    • Will not Absorb Water
    • Superior Quality
    • Made in the USA
    • Made from UHMWPE

Max length: 100ft sections

10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    https://atwoodrope.com/collections/5-8/products/5-8-camo

5/8" Utility
    5/8" has the power to get the toughest of jobs done. This rope is strong, flexible, and large enough to grip securely. The construction makes the rope snag and abrasion resistant while offering great handling. Additionally, this rope resists flattening under loads and maintains flexibility.

Specs
    • 5/8" / 16mm diameter

Tensile strength - 3000 lbs / 1361 kg

• Weight (oz/100ft) - 96 oz / 2722 g
    • Long Lasting & Durable
    • Full Fiber Core / Multi-Filament Fiber
    • Color will not run or bleed
    • Synthetic & lightweight
    • Floats
    • Made in the USA

Warning: This is an expensive rope $42 / 100 feet and I think that 100 ft is the longest section you can buy. I'd say that a call to the company, Atwood Rope, could get you custom deals, especially if you run a business and want to use their roping for your company's trucks or ships. They distribute marine ropes used in shipping.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    God stuff Old Geezer. I have made some cord that is sort of like the Parapocalypse cord by pulling some 10 lb mono and some 110 lb spider wire through replacing one of the interior cords. I may have to order some of this Parapocalypse cord. That waxed jute and the high-temperature cord would be great additions to a bug out kit.

TMT Tactical likes this.