Dwuble Drunk, Twipple Dwunk Fruit Cake.

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by Sourdough, Jul 14, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Drunk-Double Drunk, Triple Drunk Fruit Cake.

So a few months ago I posted on several different forums, I was wanting to learn about fruit cake. Especially about long-long term storage. I guess the fruit is candied, and some fruit cake is made with some rum.

So I purchased three fruit cakes from Amazon, ate one and put the other two in the freezer. Found a bottle of quality rum, poured it into a large zip-lock bag (actually three bags inside each other). Sliced the two fruit cakes razor thin and added to the bag of rum. Burped as much air out as I could, and put in the refrigerator to soak.

Just visual there appears to be more rum (by volume) then fruit cake. I plan to leave it in the refrigerator for a few months then put it in the chest freezer. For my solo Christmas Party.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I might make some more for Survival.

Radar, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I like fruit cake with lots of rum

Sourdough likes this.
  4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We put bourbon on our fruit cakes with slices of apples as they "cured". They were so good. Made them in the early summer and ate them starting Christmas.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would like to figure out if things really could be preserved with enough Rum. In the woods here the moss is 6" to 14" thick which insulated the dirt from freezing. I would like to learn if many foods could be preserved in Alcohol.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good to me!!!:)
    Keith.

Sourdough, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Please let us know what you find. Your recipe certainly sounds good. When you take it out of the freezer and open the bag I wouldn't do it near an open flame. That fruit cake will knock your hat in the creek.

I know the rum won't go bad long term, but with that much sugar in a cake wouldn't it be conducive to mold growth? I don't know. I am asking. Maybe Grizzlyette can help us.

TMT Tactical, Keith H., Radar and 2 others like this.
  8. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
  9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about preserving foods in alcohol, but here's what I do know about making and preserving herbal tinctures:

Herbal tinctures using dried herbs require at least 40% alcohol (which is U.S. 80 proof).

Fresh herbs generally require alcohol content not less than 95% alcohol (such as Everclear which is U.S. 190 proof, or 95% alcohol).

Some strong words of caution:

Don't mess around by experimenting with food preservation methods, including using old pressure canning recipes or following online hype about preserving or canning whatever and however you want. Only use tested recipes from research-based sources like State Extension Services, USDA, or the Ball Canning Guide. Be sure to get your pressure canner gauge tested if you use one. Botulism is a real threat that cannot be tasted or smelled. It can occur with improperly preserved foods, including dehydrated foods, etc.

After you read the end portion of this post, you will probably want to stick with the tried and true, and not experiment with food preservation methods.

Here are some good guidelines to follow:

OSU Extension Service Food Preservation:

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/m...jD8yIUdtn79x6zGBEe0zh6a0k3VqoeW9YYleP-4SfsURg

and

https://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html?fb...0tBRYAti7sL5luBIO9m7PvmJ7IrkA0uc0xV_icljYzhy0

Also, any updated Ball Blue Book is a good reference to have on your shelf, and is available from Amazon.com and from almost any store that carries canning supplies. It also has a handy-dandy dehydration section in the back of the book.

There are plenty of botulism descriptions, but here is a good enough one from this news article:

https://www.hjnews.com/news/local/l...R_Zmh5Q3vPcd1HJt_7zD0pYr8QyGYx9ETqjW-Meuce0Lc

According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the Botulinum neurotoxin is so potent that it can be used as a bioweapon, and “a single gram of crystalline toxin, evenly dispersed and inhaled, can kill more than 1 million people.”

Botulism damages nerves and nerve function. It causes a progressive paralysis descending from the head. Symptoms can present themselves anywhere from a few hours to three days, depending on how much was consumed. The muscles in the eyes and throat weaken first, causing eyelid and head droop, double vision and difficulty in speaking and swallowing. The disease becomes life-threatening when the muscles of the respiratory system begin to weaken. Mental functioning is not impaired, so victims remain alert and conscious throughout the disease.

It is a horrible way to die. A dear friend of mine almost died from it but did not escape unscathed. She was "not right" until she eventually died of old age.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:

That was great read. I likely was unclear about the moss thickness here. Where I was going with that, is it like an eternal refrigerator. Keeps things from freezing and from getting above 40'ish degrees (That is a guess).

When I lived on Lake Clark, I used the lake for a refrigerator. In the winter the lake would freeze three feet thick (in the old climate days) but I could keep a hole open and keep refrigerated things deeper then the bottom of the ice.

You could never very starve on Lake Clark........as you "CAN'T" not catch fish.

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Looks like that natural refrigerator may be malfunctioning soon, what with the weather and all... even permafrost is beginning to thaw in some locations.

Phew.

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fruit Cake making is a dying art. It is time-consuming and requires a dedication to detail that most people lack nowadays. Good fruit cake is wonderful stuff but improperly made aged and stored it is pretty bad. This is just one of those things that women used to do and take pride in. My mom made several dozen of them every year. they were stored and aged in decorative tins and then given as gifts. Every week to ten days they were pulled down out of the top of the closet and new slices of apple were laid and another dose of bourbon was added. They were aged from 4 to 6 months.

She made a lot of things that took lots of attention and care. we canned a lot of what we ate. she kept live brandied fruit and living starts for bread and biscuits that were to die for. She sewed and made most of her own clothes and served up three meals a day while taking care of the kids, washing hanging out drying and folding the clothes and keeping the house clean in spite of me and my brothers best efforts. She used to laugh when people said something about her not working...

13. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Maybe.........But the goal would be to avoid the freeze then thaw then freeze cycle. Would be nice if I could have food keep its structure and not get mushy. Maybe Brandy peaches. Or I have billions of large juicy blueberries. Maybe blueberries in Everclear.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Bourbon balls (no joke) were tasty to my 7 yr old palette. I never made them but they were a family recipe. I had no problem being a secret kitchen eater even at that age. Slide chair to counter, climb on chair, climb up on to stovetop, reach for cabinet above exhaust fan, viola, tipsy child. Oh, my bad, secret drunk.
    Sober fruitcake is good. I dont know why people don't like it, maybe they need homemade.
    @IBME I hope you get what you want at Christmas.

15. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I seem to recall that some fruits have been preserved in alcohol.
    Keith.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A good read, good find, thank you for the link.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    The latest adventure update........Another three pounds of fruit cake arrived today. I used much more rum this time. So it is a total liquid. So now I have a new problem. What can I add in a few months that will sop up the rum. I am thinking something like minute rice might work. Very open to suggestions on this problem.

I might have to drain off the excess rum in a few months, and re-use it in more fruit cakes.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  18. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I would drain then strain the rum through a coffee filter, for reuse soon...in a drink or something.

Adding the rum (which also has water in it) to the fruitcake before storage is not a good idea. Although the rum has a certain amount of alcohol in it, the water content will compromise the shelf life of the finished product.

Adding rice would be even worse because it is NOT shelf stable after it is wet. There is not enough alcohol in the rum to preserve the mixture.

19. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    NOT what I wanted to hear......however I truly appreciate the information.

What if I freeze this.......good idea or stupid.

20. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I know alcohol does not freeze very well...so there's that.

In fact, I make my own flexible "ice packs" by mixing 1 cup of rubbing alcohol and 2 cups of water and pouring it in a ziploc bag (with the air squeezed out) and stacking a few in the freezer. Ha ha, I also learned it is a good idea to double bag this to take care of any potential leaks.