Earth is mostly water...why do we have droughts?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by hades_leae, Jul 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I have heard so much about droughts all over the international community, in Nevada there is supposed to be a big drought that would really cost the state billions because of some lake, or something like that which is going dry. I can't remember exactly what there main water source is called, but I did watch documentaries on it.

I want to understand how we could possibly have droughts but we have a planet full of water...what's the reason for that?

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    its to do with moisture that comes off the surface of the planet which then forms into clouds which then fall back as rain, its also to do with the Jet Stream and wind movement.
    its a fairly envolved subject, i'm not a meteriorologist.

Keith H. likes this.
  3. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:

But why can we not just use all of the water that we have access to? I feel like the government is just letting the drought happen because they don't want to spend billions on a system that would clean the ocean water. California has all the water right at it's feet and I don't hear about systems being developed to clean all that water and make it available to people in the country who need it because of local droughts.

I just want to see them do something, it's supposed to be a problem on a national level, but we are not using our brains to fix it. Free water everywhere but we don't touch it? That's insane I think.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I suppose setting up desalination plants takes a lot of time and a lot of money.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Australia is supposed to be the driest country in the world. Australia is very large, & as lonewolf said, if it does not rain, then we don't have water. We are surrounded by the ocean, but in the center is a long way to go running pipes from the coast & I daresay that a distillation plant would be very costly again as lonewolf points out.

However, our totally corrupt government is spending billions elsewhere!!! Billions that could be used to supply clean energy & yes possibly water too. They could be doing a lot for the people but they are not! Don't get me started!!!
    Keith.