"earthquake Day" 15 October ...next Week

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pragmatist, Oct 6, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.shakeout.org/

Good afternoon all,

It's a training session for earthquakes.

Recommend surf around above link.

We Forum Members know the basics but it helps for the kids to learn about this stuff.

Those big glass windows are just not that glamorous during an earthquake.

The big pendulum clock ... with mouse running on it as per the story or rhyme ... if it's not secured to the wall, it's like a boulder arriving at one's precious body.

From memory - I didn't review the above link as yet - the requirement in case of a real earthquake is to:

1. Drop to the floor
    2. Get a cover such as a sturdy table or heavy chair
    3. Hold on to above.

A few years ago the exercise site - Don't remember if it was called "Shakeout" - said of those in old age homes who are wheelchair bound to place a large coffee-table book over head for protection. I wrote to the proponent of this statement and suggested that instead of a big book to place on head, place a hard hat on head. They are inexpensive enough and can be kept in the chair's large pouch.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Try living at any of the Spice Islands. Earthquakes are so routine its no longer news worthy. There's even so many blips on my screen (indicating ongoing earthquakes from monitoring stations all across the nation) that I no longer paid any attention

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    dont really get earthquakes as such in Britain, the ones we do get are so low on the scale they dont really get noticed, we dont get them in my county because of the underlying rock structure.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a little PTSD from the two 7 plus earthquakes we have had in Alaska over a 4 year period. We feel earthquakes on a monthly basis around here and I always get a brief moment of recollection of the two big ones with each little shake. I did sleep through the 4 plus earthquake last night.

With any disaster, water, food, shelter and medical supplies need to be in order for Earthquakes.

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Glad you started this thread. Really. We need to be paying attention to other threats other than what is on the news. Seems we individuals and nations and humanity itself get blindsided all-too-often.

On Sunday or Monday, I started reading articles on earthquakes. There are plenty of articles out there, yet I didn't find any that seemed to me to accurately tell how many lives could be lost. Actually to me, I feel that the numbers were actively being made too low, far too low. Even when speaking of the "Big One" or big ones, the number of lives at risk were put at many hundreds or at the highest "a few thousands".

Any reasoning person knows that when cataclysmic evens occur, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands die. The earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan 2011 killed over 15,000 people and destroyed the economy of an entire region of Japan. Here is a table of earthquake casualties:

upload_2020-10-7_12-2-33.png

The 1556 China earthquake killed over 800,000 people.

As to the Pacific Northwest, here are some articles about the report. Best I could do. I went on the FEMA website and did searches and did not find the report on the upcoming catastrophic quake. The quake is 100% inevitable. FEMA reported that 13,000 people could be killed. I think we all know that that is a kindergarten number. Hundreds of thousands will perish, if not a million plus. I'm talking about numbers of people killed outright. Without electricity, natural gas for cooking, and being cut-off from food deliveries, the subsequent death toll will rise even higher. The injured will have zero hospitals to which they can be taken for treatment. What we consider treatable injuries will prove fatal.

https://www.newsprepper.com/breakingany-day-now-fema-preps-13000-deaths-wake-pacific-megaquake/

https://inhabitat.com/a-mega-earthquake-could-be-coming-that-will-wipe-seattle-off-the-map/

From above article, highlighted areas are those I found fascinating:

"Despite the weight of the bad news, most people seem to be taking the warning in stride. Seattle’s Post Intelligencer even took a slightly tongue-in-cheek stance in reporting on, well, the report. After all, the science says such an earthquake might not happen for 50 or even 1,000 years from now, and Seattlites are kind of known for not getting too worked up in the first place. But even though The New Yorker’s report isn’t necessarily cause to start running around freaking out, residents of the great Pacific Northwest will probably want to keep this information tucked away in case it becomes relevant. Say, when planning to build a home in the region. One might opt for architecture specifically designed to resist earthquake damage, although it’s probably not worth it, since everything will be wiped out by the tsunami anyway."

I see Seattle as a city that flips God the bird. Let them perish.

===============

Let's move on.

Pacific Ring of Fire
    https://techtheday.com/study-more-9-0-magnitude-or-stronger-mega-earthquakes-are-coming/

A little space pebble splashes into the Atlantic Ocean:
    https://disaster.news/2020-08-10-scientists-warn-tsunami-could-hit-east-coast.html

Europe
    https://endtimeheadlines.org/2019/0...uake-that-could-wipe-out-mediterranean-coast/

All around this planet, populations form on waterways and especially sea coasts.

As I search the web, what strikes me is the denial factor. The overwhelming majority of people have the view of "things like that just can't happen." I believe this to be an outgrowth of the "Mommy and Daddy will protect me" belief of children. And too, many people in the developed West have actually never had anything really horrible happen to them. Witness the panic over the Chinacovid virus -- only a few million of the Earth's 7.8 BILLION people will die. A real plague -- and they are inevitable -- will kill hundreds of millions, possibly billions of people.

I believe that we preppers underestimate how unprepared are the masses. There are prepper sites for folk living in urban areas. True preparedness means getting away from large population centers altogether. To this I would add: Move away from earthquake areas. Move away from coastlines -- not only that, but seek an area in which to live that is at least a few hundred feet above sea level. And no matter where you live, prepare for being on your own for months on end. Government agencies are not only not going to be able to handle that which is coming, they themselves will be destroyed.

Back to earthquakes. Mega-quakes are overdue. They are coming. They are going to be far worse than what people and their governments are prepared to handle. The aftereffects will be as bad, if not worse than, the initial event. Simply trying to find blame will be a fatal path. No preparedness = death for you and your kids.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Old Geezer,

Of course the earthquake losses are being supressed. The real estate and local taxing authorities rule.

FEMA is now an official bureaucracy. It's staffed with a young crew not knowing much combined with not really interested.

Mommy and Daddy are augmented by "In case of ... call 9-1-1".

We are still the jet set, beautiful people of the JFK Camelot era.

The only redeeming news I can offer as a Prepper is a secondary skill of mine. I can help write the obituaries.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I'll never forget October, 17th 1989. My dad was watching the baseball game while living in Riverside, California and all of a sudden all hell broke lose. We now know it to be the Loma Prieta earthquake measuring 7.1.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "Haiti Hit With 7.2-Magnitude Earthquake; Massive Devastation; Tsunami Threat Issued"

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/h...ake-massive-devastation-tsunami-threat-issued

"Haiti was hit with a major 7.2-magnitude earthquake on Saturday, causing homes and other buildings to collapse across the Caribbean country, and a tsunami threat to be issued with waves between 3-10 feet above tidal level possible."

OG: This earthquake has just happened so we will not have any realistic casualty information for days weeks ahead. The photos I'm seeing show building collapses that are just horrible. The article I'm first quoting states the following:

"According to the US Geological Survey, there's a 35% chance that fatalities range between 1,000 and 10,000, as well as a 35% chance of economic losses in the tens of millions, according to the Mirror."

upload_2021-8-14_12-13-14.png

upload_2021-8-14_12-17-42.png

Link to photos:
    https://twitter.com/RalphSimon13
    ----------------------------

Images found by Bing / past 24 hours
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?...t1440&form=IRFLTR&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

----------------------------------

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/7-2-magnitude-earthquake-shakes-haiti/

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Haiti earthquake, continuing from above

https://editor99.com/a-strong-earth...ead-disaster-and-large-numbers-of-casualties/

"According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the epicenter of the earthquake took place 12 kilometers northeast of Saint-Louis du Sud. The earthquake was so strong, it could be felt in neighboring countries, that the US Tsunami Warning System temporarily issued a tsunami warning on Saturday.

“'There are likely to be a large number of casualties and the disaster is likely to be widespread,' the USGS said. 'Past events with this level of alert have required a response at the national or international level.'

"The agency added that damage to homes is likely as the region’s population resides mainly in structures made of adobe walls and adobe walls, which are 'vulnerable to earthquakes.'

--------------------------------------------

Seems the capital, Port au Prince did NOT take the brunt of it; however cities to the west of the capital have experienced major destruction.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/aug/14/70-magnitude-earthquake-hits-coast-haiti/

"The National Hurricane Center has forecasted that Tropical Storm Grace will reach Haiti late Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

"The earthquake struck more than a month after President Jovenel Moïse was killed, sending the country into political chaos, and humanitarian aid groups said the earthquake will add to the suffering.

“'We’re concerned that this earthquake is just one more crisis on top of what the country is already facing - including the worsening political stalemate after the president’s assassination, COVID and food insecurity,' said Jean-Wickens Merone, spokesman for World Vision Haiti.

"Catholic priest Fredy Elie, who began working with the Mission in Haiti Congregation after the 2010 earthquake, told The Associated Press that access to the area is hindered by criminal gangs and was pleading for help."

---------------------------------------------------

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nichol...-in-massive-haiti-earthquake/?sh=552d40822fae

"A massive earthquake that jolted western Haiti on Saturday morning has sparked fears of devastation similar to that of the 2010 earthquake that slammed the country, with the U.S. Geological Survey estimating thousands of deaths are likely, but its location far from the most densely populated part of the country could mitigate the death toll.

"The preliminary 7.2 magnitude reading for Saturday's earthquake would make it more intense than the 7.0 earthquake that hit in 2010, which likely killed well over 100,000 people. Saturday's earthquake was in a much less densely populated area, though, about 100 miles west of Port-au-Prince. The epicenter of the 2010 quake was only about 16 miles west of the capital city.

"... The nation is the poorest in the Western Hemisphere, with many structures in the country not built to standards that would allow them to withstand the major earthquakes possible there, since the country is situated along major fault lines. Highly populated mountainous regions also mean even weak tropical systems passing through the area bring the potential for catastrophic mudslides due to rain.

"What To Watch For:

"Tropical Storm Grace is forecast to hit Hispaniola and could impact Haiti"

OG: The area hit by today's (14 Aug 2021) earthquake has mountainous areas. Combine this earthquake with the mudslides that tropical storm Grace could bring and one is looking at a disaster of epic proportions. And just think about trying to get food and medical supplies in there while a tropical storm is letting go on them. The storm, Grace, is to hit sometime this coming Monday evening (16 Aug 2021).

upload_2021-8-14_13-22-19.png

10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Haiti earthquake continued from above

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/haiti-earthquake-08-14-21/h_bd95ddb5dfe57ea4d084ad71b6bc8817

"Damage from earthquake seen in Haiti's Les Cayes"

"Damage from Saturday's 7.2 magnitude earthquake is already being seen in some neighborhoods in Haiti.

"Photos from Les Cayes, Haiti, show damaged buildings and rubble in the streets."

OG: Looks like Les Cayes took it in the teeth. The map I put in the above post could be a bit inaccurate. The epicenter may just be a further bit west. Maybe I should correct that map.

Maybe this map is more accurate (?) (Old Geezer ain't no cartographer and he ain't no geologist either):

upload_2021-8-14_13-38-12.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Google maps is putting the earthquake epicenter here:

upload_2021-8-14_13-56-10.png

Populations, from Wikipedia

Les Cayes - 125,000

Pestel - 45,000

Baraderes region - approx 45,000

Saint-Louis-du-Sud - 60,000 to 65,000

upload_2021-8-14_14-4-31.png

Population density map of the Tiburon Peninsula:

upload_2021-8-14_14-29-57.png

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Post 5 of 5 posts concerning today's earthquake in Haiti.

"Haiti Earthquake Caught on Tape"

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is an earthquake threat for the USA to which most people in the USA are utterly oblivious -- and I do include people living at ground zero.

The New Madrid mid-plate fault

This massive earthquake is massively overdue. The longer the interval between quakes the more massive the quake.

The U.S. economy is to shreds (with a fiat currency, at that) and everybody is pretending that the emperor's new clothes are just beautiful. This illusion is going to get ripped. Who knows what manner of event will trigger "the awakening"?! An earthquake in the center of the United States that cuts pipelines and power feeds for weeks/months could just be a tipping point, a straw that breaks the camel's back.

upload_2021-9-6_19-9-26.png

upload_2021-9-6_19-9-45.png

TMT Tactical likes this.