Earthquake Emergency Medical Kit Mentioned

Discussion in 'Earthquake' started by Pragmatist, Mar 20, 2021.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    osaltosonline.com/news/sections/community/177-features/64137-city-of-los-altos-offers-residents-emergency-preparedness-kits

Good afternoon all,

Still splicing wires, soldering, welding things to get this telegraph key set up again. Please bear with me.

Per ...

Article per ...... What got my attention was the emergency medical kit for earthquakes. If the Big Ben clock falls on one's head from an earthquake, what could the kit contain ?

Note the article's mention of "Block Action Teams". Not familiar.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    The link didn't work, but I would still question why an earthquake medical emergency kit would be any different from any other emergency medical kit?

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  3. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Can't open the link, malwarebytes and MS say no.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here's the link:

https://www.losaltosonline.com/news...-offers-residents-emergency-preparedness-kits

Los Altos is located just south of SF and Oakland, situated between Palo Alto and San Hose. They are sitting on the San Andreas fault and they are just over from the Hayward and the Calaveras faults. Any >= 7.5 Richter and they'll get cut-off. If the Big One on the San Andreas lets go then Los Altos will be in whale-sh## central. Thing is that there are eight million (8,000,000) people living on these faults in the Bay Area of California. Any nasty earthquake and their electrical grid will go bye-byes. We'll see how they compensate ... or not.

upload_2021-3-24_10-49-3.png

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Old Geezer,

That's a great earthquake/fault map.

Am wondering if plans developed to relocate Sacremento on top of one of those red lines.

Morgan, also a Good morning. Perhaps the kit also includes a burial shroud.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is one link to medical kits attempting to approximate what's in a military kit.

https://www.chinookmed.com/category/military-kits/medical-kits/military/1.html

I'm now gonna look for details on 68 Whiskey kits.

I've worked with folk who were 68W. Many use their military education monies to go to university stateside then get some jobs that actually pay. These folk who've treated lots of injuries, plus now have computer skills & further medical skills, can be of super service in training medical personnel, to include new physicians, paramedics, emergency ward staff, ... . High time that they make some money for their families! High time they get the appreciation they deserve! Here's a description of their job titles and respective duties:

http://www.armywriter.com/NCOER/68W.htm

Everything in a kit has to be immediately accessible. Combatant has pneumothorax and you gotta dart that chest to get that lung back, then by-God you must have that 14 gauge needle in your hand and through the wall of that man's chest right now! No time for searching about.

Still looking ...

Here we go! Found a vid of 68W explaining her kit. Let's listen to her:

Here's a quickie video on the use of a CAT-5 tourniquet. This is just show'n'tell, this is NO instruction video. Key phrase (wasn't in video, should have been in video), "High and tight!" Oh by the way, when loosening the tourniquet to see if still bleeding, do so mighty quick! Can't lose any more blood!

She uses an acronym, but this is your nasal cannula. Facial trauma could equal broken bones of the skull, therefore don't use this in facial trauma. Sphenoid bone fracture and this cannula could end up at the base of the brain = not a good thing.

upload_2021-3-24_11-41-53.png

cric kit = cricothyroidotomy

Darting a pneumothorax

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Looking through the links none of the kits looked any different from what we already have. I guess this is geared toward newbies or first time preppers. Hard to believe in that part of the country you would have to work so hard to get people to prepare. They seem very proud of themselves that they started this program two years ago. IMHO that is about 120 years late. How long have they known they are in a highly active earthquake area?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    when I was getting my certification for first aid they taught us to go for the quiet ones first, if they were screaming then they were alive and breathing and could possibly wait until we have dealt with the quiet possibly unconscious ones first.

Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    All too true. Untreated shock = death.

LOC, level of consciousness is mega-important.

Glasgow Coma Scale is often used to quantify LOC.

https://www.cdc.gov/masstrauma/resources/gcs.pdf

In pediatric cases, screaming is beautiful. If an infant can scream, then you know that the child has respirations and a patent airway, i.e. open and functioning. Children often succumb to respiratory issues. For us old folk, its heart attacks and cerebrovascular accidents. Find an unconscious kid; the most likely cause of unconsciousness is respiratory in origin.

And kids go hypovolemic easily. Trauma of course can cause a bleed-out. But kids lose volume (and electrolytes) soooooooo easily. Kids get dysentery, then quickly lose volume via regurgitation and diarrhea. It is amazing sometimes how quickly they come back when given fluids w/electrolytes. If IV lines cannot be established, then med personnel get intraosseous lines going, which is to say fluids are introduced via a bone. The bone is drilled and a fluid line established.

Intraosseous access is also used on adults if their hypovolemia has caused their veins to collapse.

Looks barbaric, yet God only knows how many kids' lives have been saved by getting fluids into them quickly via bone access. The more rapid the fluid rate, the greater the pain. Yet, when a kid starts to scream, that means that they are back in the land of the living.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Horrific earthquake Turkey and Syria. Everybody has now heard about it. This happened at the interface of the Arabian Plate and the Anatolian Plate.

Here are three earthquake maps each showing a different area around the Mediterranean Sea:

Earthquake Map of Eastern Mediterranean:

[​IMG]

Earthquake map of Western Mediterranean -- Southern Spain and North Africa:

upload_2023-2-7_1-44-40.png

Earthquake map of Italy and Greece

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I was raised you might drown in a flood from a hurricane or get blown away by a tornado but at least the ground sat still!! Mud doesn't shake much. Earthquakes just don't offer any warning. My Family came from a place that was dead center in a tornado ally. They had so many tornadoes that almost everyone either had a storm shelter in the gound in their yard or access to one. It was a tiny town of about 500 with farms all around it. They lost almost 10% of their population in that storm and it made a lasting impression.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the underlying strata here is Granite, so we dont get earthquakes, I believe some minor ones have been felt in the North of England where there is a different rock formation but nothing that would make a building collapse.

TMT Tactical and Brownbear like this.
  15. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    England gets between 20 and 30 quakes a year strong enough to be felt by people and between 200 and 300 a year recorded by instruments.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    The largest possible earthquake in the UK is around magnitude 6.5.
    The largest KNOWN occurred near the Dogger Bank in 1931 measuring 6.1. 60 miles offshore, minor damage was done to buildings on the East Coast of England.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess the coastal regions of the UK could get a tsunami, but I've never read about any earthquakes there over a 6 Richter.

There are undersea fault lines and volcanoes that could cause unforeseen tsunamis. Can't worry about everything. Earth could take all manner of bad things hitting it from space. Coronal mass ejection from the sun could bake our electronics.

As a prepper, I'd not want to live right on the coast nor anywhere near a major earthquake fault line. As a prepper, I seek the means to not be dependent on electricity should that go away.

TMT Tactical likes this.