Earthwake, But Outside

Discussion in 'Urban Survival' started by Xilkozuf, May 20, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    So we all know the basic stuff to do when a earthquake is happening: hide under a solid object, cover yourself and hope you will be fine.
    But what if you are outside when it happens? Maybe you are outside with no shelter nearby, or even worse.. maybe you are on a long bridge in your car, without time to run at the end of the bridge. I know that this might be an absurd or paradoxical situation, but you never know, everything might happen. If this happened to you, what would you do?

Koala likes this.
  2. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    I assume you mean earthquake and not earthwake? :p

My main goals would be to stay calm and to not move too much unless if I'd be near trees or something similar. Staying calm is critical in such unpredicted situations and panic can do more harm than good. Keep a cool head and look around, think about what options you have available.

Moving not too much is also important because if you start running like a maniac towards some unstable object, the object itself might collapse on you. But if you're near things like trees you obviously have to try move away. So it really depends on where exactly I would be when the earthquake occurred.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would head for the biggest open ground I could find.
    Keith.

4. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I didn't even realize I wrote that. I checked the post twice but didn't think about the title! But we could consider it correct, I mean.. the earth is waking up.. :p My bad!

Anyway, yes.. I think staying calm should be the priority. I don't think it would be that easy in such a situation, without any kind of warning or preparation, and probably seeing other people panicking wouldn't help at all too.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    My response would have to be according to what would be happening around me. I know that just running around like a headless chicken would not be the sensible thing to do. I would not have any control over what may be happening around me, therefore, I would have to watch carefully and take evasive action as I may see it necessary.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Time and again, the tv networks are reminding us how to be prepared for an earthquake. They show a demo on what to do like ducking under a table or any furniture that could give our head a cover. But in reality, that is the tendency of people, duck for safety. But what about if the earthquake is so strong that buildings may collapse? I'm sure people will be running out of building. Pity are those on the upper floors for they might not have time to escape. And when I am caught in that situation, my idea is to remain calm becaues panic will kill me. Just be calm and assess everything. That would put me in good stead.