Easy rabbit snare trap.

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Correy, May 18, 2016.

Easy rabbit snare trap. 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Wire snare traps are really easy to make and very efficient in areas with a lot of rabbits and similar rodents. All you really need is wire, a pike and sticks and foliage from around.

0EL3rX9OEJZ_jW1OSkiUJczSoSOgSW0I.gif
    As you can see the wire is bolted to the ground to create a force of resistance, to get the noose to close down as the animal tries to flee. Alternatively the wire can be tied to a nearby tree, if you don't feel like carrying too many bolts or pikes arounds.

Some people like to use a hinge instead of tying a noose, which is more efficient as a strangulating trap, but also more likely to be destroyed. Like this one:

0EL3rX9OEJZ_jW1OSkiUJczSoSOgSW0I.jpeg

Notice that around the noose, the hunter has placed foliage to create a little "guided passage" to coerce the animal to pass through.

A good strategy is to observe where the rabbits usually go snooping around and placing your traps carefully, on paths that they will most often use. Like say a hole in your garden fence, etc.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't like the locking snares, I think these are the reason snaring got banned here. I like to use brass wire that does not strangle. Set on a burrow the rabbit is still alive down the burrow waiting to be picked up & out of sight of predators.
    Keith.

3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I am very interested in this kind of setup because I like to bleed out the animal immediately after death.

Could you please point me in the right direction for learning how to set this type of trap? I am totally inexperienced in setting snares...a real newbie.

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:

20d48b1345a06f7de00c7cfb31dae43b.jpeg 20d48b1345a06f7de00c7cfb31dae43b.jpeg
    20d48b1345a06f7de00c7cfb31dae43b.jpeg
    Waterfowl.
    20d48b1345a06f7de00c7cfb31dae43b.jpeg 20d48b1345a06f7de00c7cfb31dae43b.jpeg

I think this is all I have of my own work on snares Grizz, but I have got more info on other traps. I also have more on a predator snare.
    Regards, Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    WOW !!!!!!! Thank you!!! I have my weekend cut out for me for sure!!

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You can practice snaring rats. I like spring snare traps for them. It is all a matter of scale from rats to deer. adjust your wire size and the height of the loops for the size critter that you are snaring. I have snare wire from light brass through 1/8 aircraft cable. Cable locks are needed on some of the stiffer cables because they will loosen if given slack and let the prey back out. Snares here are used for coyotes, raccoons, possums, and nutria. Another use for the locks is when you are fur trapping you don't care about killing them since you are not eating them. You also might look into body hold traps. I have several of conibear body hold traps and they work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=conibear+traps&crid=2172MT2Q1PY4Z&sprefix=conibear+traps,aps,226&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

You can buy those here in hardware stores. Most also sell made cable snares in several sizes.