Easy, reliable and portable!

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Jason, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    There are serveral ways to make shelter or buy a shelter if you have the means to transport it when you have to move locations. My idea of the ideal shelter to have on hand and ready to move is simple, a teepee! These were used by Native Americans for years they are reliable lightweight and easy to transport they are good for all weather conditions so you never have to worry about freezing to death or getting wet or being too hot. It is a simple shelter that functions as your living space, your storage space, and if it's too cold outside your kitchen.

Attached Files:

Ricky Jeringan and Porcheagle like this.
  2. Porcheagle

Porcheagle Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I really think that's a good idea. You could use modern tent materials (super light and waterproof) and you might have to get creative for light-weight colapsable rigid poles.
    Do you have a teepee?
    Definitely a cool idea to think on.

3. Jason

Jason Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I have one ordered

4. Dustin

Dustin Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I simply use a tarp and hammock, during cold weather wrap the front and sides with plastic. It will let the radiant heat through but won't xscape. Super shelter

Anaconda likes this.
  5. Charles R. Stevens

Charles R. Stevens Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    "Modern materials" tend to be plastic fibers that are sensitive to fire and UV. I would stick with heaver fire and uv resistant tent fabrics such as sunforger or cotton canvas for any tent with a fire in it, such as a teepee, yurt or wall tent. Long term "modern materials" don't hold up. Myself I use a range teepee/miners tent. One pole, 4 stakes and a stove jack. But this is for truck or horseback camping.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Easy portable fast had one in nam checkout. Texsport wilderness hammock 60 bucks now mine 30 years old and good as new two eye hooks screwed into tree set up in no time

8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I recently got a pop up blind for 20 bucks at walmart it is very easy to carry set up great ad to hunting gar

10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Teepee are a great chioce fine canvas ones for sale one post 12 pegs set franks up fast and easy

11. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Tom, are you referring to a range teepee? Traditional ones require a dozen poles.
    Excellent shelter once you get the hang of it (smoke flaps, inner liner, drip lines, windbreaks...) but like a yurt/ger takes a bit to set one up.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:

13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My neighbor in the 80s got a teepee canvas very well made large roomy it had one main post to hold it upright then tent pegs in ground held it in place it was easy to set up

14. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    That would be a variation of the Sibley tent.

15. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    You can find exelent references and plan a for teepees on line, being in "Indian territory" There is plenty of research avalable

16. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol im old my tent days done i got a4x4 chevy i put together and a yellowstone 18ft camper my home anywhere i did get ramps and they make getting the rokon in the bed of truck alot easier

17. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm closer to old than I am young, lol.

18. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Tarp + a Bivi.... I water proof and seam seal a one man Bivi. Add a tarp low level and WA-la... Of course I'm Mr. Gadget so, my sleeping kit includes the following.. My sleeping kit fits neatly In a mil style butt pack...( save the cold weather system )

8x12 tarp
    550 cord
    My cot.
    http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-...qid=1455148461&sr=8-1&keywords=thermarest+cot

My air mat..
    http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-...=1455148518&sr=8-1&keywords=thermarest+neoair

My pillow.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUL4LP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

My sleeping bag...spring/summer I go with a smaller bag...
    Cold temp.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ping system&qid=1455148604&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
    Warm temp.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ledge-Sports-Scorpion-Compact-Sleeping/dp/B003SS56RS

My tent..
    http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultralight-Low-Cost-One-Man-Bivy-Tent/productinfo/T-WF-BIVY/

Seems like a lot, I know...but you would be shocked! Plus I have a bad back, and well if I take this gear I can sleep great and not be sore in the AM...

Ohh and for size.. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh 260 so it fits!

19. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Got you by two inches, but then again you have me by twenty pounds.
    I prefer a hammock, tarp and bug net. Under quilt takes me to 3 seasons (and I sleep warm) but I'm ex infantry, sleep in a rocky bog if I need to

TheJim likes this.
  20. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    As of 2011 I had 11 herniated disks in my back..and degenerative disk disease...so....my hammock days are done...

21. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Infantry itis? (Knees, shoulders and back) one degenerated disk, arthritic knees and nerv damage in the shoulders

TheJim likes this.
  22. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Gentleman ive been shot stabbed blown up and on five broke my back and knees are worn out yes ive slowed down no i do not quit i farm hunt fish do my repairs and live happy JUST DO IT

TheJim likes this.
  23. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Oh make no mistake...I go....but I go in style... :)

24. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Sleep gear poncho liner wool blankets and my pride and joy a mummy cold weather sleeping bag all from my years in the usmc they last for years and work

25. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    Jim, try slinging your hammock slack and lay in it diagonal, you'll lay flatish (as aposed to bannanaish)

26. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Worth a shot!

27. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    And pitch the stretcher bars, they are only their to get you on Americas funniest home visions!
    Throw your ruck in the hammock and adjust it till it handed about 22deg. Puts a heck of a lot less strain on the trees ( or my preference, truck and fence corner)

28. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Truth guys mrs and i are not going anywhere when time comes we are ready. We are agood team and have a great little place the kids are handy and will make it here

29. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    One should have alterinitive plan.

30. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We do its ready. We will if have to leave but we can hold here for awhile take awile to know we are here as long as we are careful they will overlook us for sometime

TheJim likes this.
  31. Charles R. Stevens

38/47

Blog Posts:
    It's good off you can hold out till the idiots die off..

TheJim likes this.
  32. TheJim

TheJim Active Member
      38/47

Blog Posts:
    Law of 3's....

33. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Fast easy portable good old sand bag can be filled with anything and make a nice bunker stashed and stored before hand fill when you get there

34. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A good easy floor for ya use rubber backed rugs carry easy and durable and used ones are cheap at markets lol i allso use them for carpet in my truck she ight be a old chevy but she solid and strong my friend call her the beast