Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Panel Discussion

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by CivilDefense, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    The following video is an interesting panel discussion concerning EMP and the impact said would have upon this country. Some of the speakers include James Woolsey (former director of the CIA), Dr. Peter Vincent (Director of the Task Force for National and Homeland Security), and Henry Cooper (ambassador). There is also a Q&A session.

poltiregist and Alaskajohn like this.
  2. Joe Stonecipher

Joe Stonecipher New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi! I'm new to the forum, but before I retired I was the NERC Compliance officer for a small municipal electric utility in northeast Florida. There is a NERC Standard for a solar coronal mass ejection (CME) we had to prepare for - and there really wasn't much you could do for it. In one of the State of Florida meetings I tried to bring up discussions about an EMP, but since (at the time) it wasn't a NERC Standard nobody wanted to discuss it.

Anyway, in 2012 there was a monstrous CME from the sun that would have shut down everything on earth if it hit us. Fortunately, it was aimed at a point in space about a quarter of the way around the sun from us. If we're ever hit by such a large CME, it would be just like - or worse than - an EMP. And it could last for a few days!

Even though we could easily be hit by a single EMP from North Korea, Iran or South Possumtrotistan, I personally believe we have a greater chance of a large CME wrecking our electric grid. And not only that, but everything with a transistor in it - modern cars and trucks, aircraft, TVs, PCs, telephones, cell phones, watches, heart pacemakers and anything else.

And if you have to an older car or truck you think won't get affected by a CME or EMP, if you try to drive it on the road someone will want to take it from you - a thieving scumbag or even the police will confiscate it.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    don't worry about old cars Joe, the EMP will affect the filling stations pumps so once you've used up all the fuel in the tank you'll be out of gas and going nowhere.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  4. poltiregist

poltiregist Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    your right on target with this , people for the most part are unprepared for this possibility .

TMT Tactical, Alaskajohn and lonewolf like this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people are unprepared for anything, even the minor events.

6. poltiregist

170/173

Blog Posts:
    everyone should take time to watch this video but if you are not interested enough in this to watch it all watch the first quarter and the last quarter of this video . One take away from it "the US has zero defense against a satellite delivered EMP " .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Well-Known Member
      72/115

Blog Posts:
    Be it a CME, an EMP, or just societal breakdown the brings down the grid, my aim is to be able to operate in life without electricity. Access to water, heat, the ability to store meat and other produce, transportation, ability to construct or maintain existing systems and structures, etc all better be set before it happens. I’ve been working to be able to do all this absent any reliance on electricity.

I know many are working to develop alternative sources of energy as part of their preps, and this may all be well and good. Some of my preps are consistent with this thought, but nothing critical for thriving in my preps are reliant on anything electronic or driven by a combustion engine.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. poltiregist

170/173

Blog Posts:
    same here

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I believe that this statement about most folk not being prepared for anything going sideways cuts to the chase.

As to the topic of EMP in this thread and several other threads:

I think that a lot of equipment will survive EMP much better than most folk would imagine, but that's that. It is a picky observation. Most electrical grids are rather vulnerable to a host of geophysical events. Find other critical systems other than power, study them and you will find their vulnerabilities.

Why sites like this exist is that we who would prepare for hard times predictable and unpredictable know in our heart of hearts that here we stand in amongst herds of lemmings. Given this reality, we share means of getting out and means of being as independent of the fragile techno-world upon which these lemmings depend.

Postulating that electrical grids WILL go down is not only no stretch of the imagination, we have ourselves watched this happen dozens of times. Plus, we've watched others get frayed nerves after just three days of no electrical feed.

Let us focus on sharing things we have done to be independent and asking questions of other members who may have solutions that have puzzled ourselves. I find all manner of information on this site, much of it concerning matters to which I'd given little or no thought.

Thanx much!